Which Is Better To Buy 1997 Or 98 Ls400?

nquyen78

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to search the forum for answers but couldn't find them, probably because I'm not familiar with the forum yet.

I'm about to purchase my first ls400 and I'm down to two vehicles a 97 model and a 98 model. I've done some reading online and know that the 98 has a more powerful engine with the variable timing and a 5spd transmission and new body. The 97 model that I'm looking at has 124K and the 98 has 155K and both are about the same price ~6K. Which is the better buy and which is more reliable? I like the sharp lines of the 97 better. Are both engines the same in terms of reliability? I know the engines in the earlier models 90-94 were bomb proof. Any help and advice is much appreciated. I plan on purchasing one of these cars in the next several day. Thank you all in advance.

Quyen

wow, if both are clean, the 98 is a much better buy! wow, i've been wanting a 98 for a while now, they might be within reach next year!!! woohoo reliability is the same or better, depending on service records and condition.

I'm about to purchase my first ls400 and I'm down to two vehicles a 97 model and a 98 model. I've done some reading online and know that the 98 has a more powerful engine with the variable timing and a 5spd transmission and new body. The 97 model that I'm looking at has 124K and the 98 has 155K and both are about the same price ~6K. Which is the better buy and which is more reliable? I like the sharp lines of the 97 better. Are both engines the same in terms of reliability? I know the engines in the earlier models 90-94 were bomb proof. Any help and advice is much appreciated. I plan on purchasing one of these cars in the next several day. Thank you all in advance.
Having owned a Gen2 and a Gen2.5 (95 and 99), I can tell you that they are both wonderful cars. I've seen LS400s of all years make it to 300,000 miles with no engine/tranny rebuilds. If you like the way the '97 looks, I'd buy that one since it's probably cheaper than the '98, provided they are both in similar condition.

Thank you all your advice.

I went to look at the 98 today and I would rate it a 5 out of 10; I was not impress and could see a money pit with the vehicle. It needs an alignment (at minimum) the steering wheel shakes at about 40 - 60 mph, engine did not sound smooth like everyone here describes it, leather seats have seen a lot of wear ..... I will pass on this 98.

The 97 condition is about 8 out of 10; it has normal wear but was not abused. I talked the 97 down to $5800 and I'm wondering if that's a good price. Needs new tires within the next 5k - 10k miles, leathers are in good condition but have harden, little fade on the bumpers, has 4 owners according to carfax and was a lease vehicle initially (is it bad that it was a lease vehicle?) and I'm not too thrilled about the color, charcoal w/ black interior (just because I live in Phoenix, Az) but it does look good.

Please let me know if I should wait and keep looking or this is a good vehicle .... I know everyone's telling me to wait for next year and buy a 98. I've seen some Coach Edition 97, are they worth the extra money?

Thanks everyone.

I have a 97 and love it. But I'd go for the 98 cause of the refinements/performance

+1 exactly;

I upgraded to '98 LS from '94 recently; day and night different!

'98 all the way.

check out this link:

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Thanks for the link. I see why everyone's telling me to go for the 98. If you are a DIY kind of guy is the 98 harder to work on than the 97?

I have a 97 and love it. But I'd go for the 98 cause of the refinements/performance

+1 exactly;

I upgraded to '98 LS from '94 recently; day and night different!

'98 all the way.

check out this link:

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Thanks for the link. I see why everyone's telling me to go for the 98. If you are a DIY kind of guy is the 98 harder to work on than the 97?

I don't know about '97, but '94 and '98 is about the same and it is easlier to change the spark plug with '98.; coolant change, brakes, oil, brake fluid are same.

But as what you described, don't get that '98. previous owners did not seem to take good care of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all your advice and recommendations.

I am now a proud owner of a 97 ls400, after driving several 97 and 98 models and considering price. I love the car.

The car did not come with an owner's manual can anyone tell me the oil capacities (engine, transmission, etc.)? I'm in the process of getting a manual but I don't want to wait too long to change the oils. Thanks.

I will post pictures once I figure how to do that.

Good morning,

1997, huh? Nice choice! I love mine.

Here are the 1997 shop manual sheets for engine oil, trans fluid and differential oil. Enjoy!

Register in the owners section on http://www.lexus.com/ and you will get immediate access to an on-line owners manual.

I registered but the site didn't have the online owner's manual anymore, I guess it's too old.

lubr.pdf

lubr_diff.pdf

lubr_trans.pdf