99' Accord Wheel Bearings.... ?

90LS400Lexus

Hi all. Its not a Lexus, but hoping someone will know about these cars in general. Not much going on in the Honda forums. I found a local 99'' Accord LX automatic, that the seller needs a wheel bearing. It has high miles (around 245K), but he said engine was good and the transmission was good, but it made a terrible noise from the front when it was rolling. Does it sound like this could be a wheel bearing, or something with the transmission? How hard is the bearing to replace? Lastly, I can get the car for about $1500 and it looks pretty good inside out. Thanks for any tips/advice!

You'll have more than wheel bearings to worry about. Tranny probs are the big issue with this year. Honda extended the warranty on the Automatic Transmission and torque converter to 7 years or 100,000 miles, but that doesn't help you. There are several recalls. EGR and EVAP are two other common probs. Four cyl are anemic especially with an auto.

I thought you just bought a Benz, why another car?

You'll have more than wheel bearings to worry about. Tranny probs are the big issue with this year. Honda extended the warranty on the Automatic Transmission and torque converter to 7 years or 100,000 miles, but that doesn't help you. There are several recalls. EGR and EVAP are two other common probs. Four cyl are anemic especially with an auto.

I thought you just bought a Benz, why another car?

I'll second that post. My friend bought a used 2001 Accord with 65,000 miles earlier this year, and he also thinks the transmission is beginning to act up. If the transmissions in the Accords were not such a widespread problem, it would be a good car otherwise. But, just for that reason, I would move on to something else.

What happened to the Mercedes?