What If?

What if somone forget the FOB key in their breifcase and put the case in the trunk?

You eventually can't open the trunk without having the key in your pocket or hand.

Is this a plausible senario? What this the soloution if you're far from home....call Lexus road assistance?

I have tested this, and the trunk button still works because the key is in close proximity to the button. But, you wouldn't be able to start the car with the key in the trunk, so you must be talking about putting it in there after you stop the car and get out? Just don't lock the cabin doors till you get your briefcase out of the trunk

I don't think that the car will let you lock up with the fob anywhere inside. I know that it won't if it is in the passenger area. I've made the mistake of leaving it in my racquetball bag, trying to leave the car and lock the doors. It just beeps at me to let me know I'm trying to be a dumb-a$$! lol I've never tried to leave it in the trunk and lock the doors, but I'd bet that the result would be the same.

I don't think that the car will let you lock up with the fob anywhere inside. I know that it won't if it is in the passenger area. I've made the mistake of leaving it in my racquetball bag, trying to leave the car and lock the doors. It just beeps at me to let me know I'm trying to be a dumb-a$$! lol I've never tried to leave it in the trunk and lock the doors, but I'd bet that the result would be the same.

EnginePassion is correct--if the key is deep into the trunk, you will not be able to push the trunk button.

If a key fob is in the trunk or anywhere in the car, and you try to use the other key fob to lock the car, it will beep at you and not lock the doors (I've done it and couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't lock). Considering the above scenario, if the key fob is in the trunk, but too far away to register the button, why don't you just push the trunk release located in the cabin? The doors couldn't be locked unless you manually locked them. Bottom line, Lexus has done its best to prevent user errors. If you are really intent to lock yourself out, there are ways to do it.

If a key fob is in the trunk or anywhere in the car, and you try to use the other key fob to lock the car, it will beep at you and not lock the doors (I've done it and couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't lock). Considering the above scenario, if the key fob is in the trunk, but too far away to register the button, why don't you just push the trunk release located in the cabin? The doors couldn't be locked unless you manually locked them. Bottom line, Lexus has done its best to prevent user errors. If you are really intent to lock yourself out, there are ways to do it.

No--if the fob is in the cabin, you cannot use the door button to lock the car. But you can definitely use the lock button on the fob in that case; but, in that case, you do have a key fob with you, so you wouldn't be locked out. I never tried this for the trunk, though.