Transmission Shift

Hey guys ... been a proud owner of a 2007 IS250 for the past 6 months or so. Love the car so far and am very happy overall. The car handles well and I find it reasonably responsive (as much as a 200hp car can be). One gripe I do have is that I have felt that the transmission shifts during acceleration is not as seemless and smooth that I would like it to be. You can almost physically feel the car changing gears as you push on the gas pedal. Drove a Lincoln Mercury the other week (rental while out of town on business) ... really felt it accelerate smoothly with no hesitency (although otherwise the car was crap). Anyone else have the same experience with the IS250? Or is this an isolated issue with my car and have it checked? Any input will be appreciated!

Hey guys ... been a proud owner of a 2007 IS250 for the past 6 months or so. Love the car so far and am very happy overall. The car handles well and I find it reasonably responsive (as much as a 200hp car can be). One gripe I do have is that I have felt that the transmission shifts during acceleration is not as seemless and smooth that I would like it to be. You can almost physically feel the car changing gears as you push on the gas pedal. Drove a Lincoln Mercury the other week (rental while out of town on business) ... really felt it accelerate smoothly with no hesitency (although otherwise the car was crap). Anyone else have the same experience with the IS250? Or is this an isolated issue with my car and have it checked? Any input will be appreciated!

The IS is designed to be a sport/luxury vehicle. It is also a relatively small car, and as a result of those two points, you will feel more of the shift than you would in a larger luxury car. What did you drive, a Lincoln, or a Mercury? What model was it? The size, power, and suspension would make a big difference in the feedback you got from the car. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles have been notorious for having pretty mushy suspensions, with the exception of the Mustang, and maybe the new Mark and 500 platforms.

That said, I have to also say that I don't feel the shifts in my '08 250 very much, unless I have my foot deep into the long skinny pedal... but then, when I do that, I am usually taking the revs up, and paddle shifting. However, when I am driving more aggressively, I do notice a lag between depression of the gas pedal, and reaction of the car. Part of that is the traction control. In new cars with auto trans, it is very difficult to spin the rear wheels... but I digress.

The IS is designed to be a sport/luxury vehicle. It is also a relatively small car, and as a result of those two points, you will feel more of the shift than you would in a larger luxury car. What did you drive, a Lincoln, or a Mercury? What model was it? The size, power, and suspension would make a big difference in the feedback you got from the car. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles have been notorious for having pretty mushy suspensions, with the exception of the Mustang, and maybe the new Mark and 500 platforms.

That said, I have to also say that I don't feel the shifts in my '08 250 very much, unless I have my foot deep into the long skinny pedal... but then, when I do that, I am usually taking the revs up, and paddle shifting. However, when I am driving more aggressively, I do notice a lag between depression of the gas pedal, and reaction of the car. Part of that is the traction control. In new cars with auto trans, it is very difficult to spin the rear wheels... but I digress.

Correction: It was a Mercury Milan. I guess I will have it checked on my next service date.

I really only find this to be true under harder acceleration, which I think is really going to be the case for any car/tranny. Under normal relaxed driving, I don't really notice it at all.

I've got a GS 300 and don't have your problem, but my youngest daughter has a Mazda 3 (yes, I know, not a Lexus), but her car started doing the same thing between first and second gears, unless you almost completely let up on the accelerator between shifts. It was under warranty, and we took it in and the dealer said it was a "computer adjustment issue". After being skeptical, I was told (at least on the Mazda) shift patterns are controlled by computer. Whatever the reason, they adjusted the "computer", and it has completely eliminated the problem.

Bottom line, I'd talk to your Lexus dealer. May not have a similar fix, but it costs nothing to ask.