Dealership Ruins My New Es350's Back Bumper Cover!

69HEMI-R/T

I just cannot believe it! I took my 2008 UL ES350 in for it's 1000 mile checkup and to have the invisi-shield on the hood replaced (another story) and a service rep, while parallel parking a RX350 behind me hits the corner of my car's rear bumper and put a 4" gouge in it! All the way thru the paint to the rubber and is about a 1/2" wide and 4" long. I was actually standing about 50 ft. away and watched it happen.

The rep gets out of the RX350 and says he cut it a little close! I was so mad I was ready to start wailing on the guy and he realized it very quickly! He said "is this your car?"and I replied it damn sure is. Makes me wonder if he would have said anything if I had not seen it happen. Anyway he get all apologetic and says they can fix it as they have the only "certified Lexus body shop" around and I told him the only fix I am interested in is a replacement bumper cover, not a repair and he said that will be done, all the while apologizing profusely.

We went to his office and he made a call about the cover and called the manager in and told him what he had done to my car and he was getting it taken care of ASAP. They put me in a loaner RX350 for as long as it takes and said it should be no longer than 3 to 4 days but I am still PO'ed as the car is Tungsten Pearl and I know how hard it is to match silver paint! My car will no longer be factory-put-together perfect either.

So far, the dealership is trying to do the right thing ( I keep wondering if that would be true if I had not seen the guy do it! ) and I just worry about the repair being right. Also, will carfax now say my car has been wrecked? Son of a.........! I am still mad!

Carfax does not have an orbiting satellite observing our every move. If it is not reported to DMV then it won't show up anywhere.

Accidents happen. Feel lucky that it did not happen out on the street somewhere and you'd be stuck with the insurance deductible.

If the bumper cover is replaced rather than repaired it should be just like new. Paint matching is a science nowadays and it should be fine. From your post you will be keeping an eye on the quality of the fix - just as you should be. If you don't like the results the dealer will very likely go out of the way to ensure your satisfaction.

Not that you shouldn't have had a major shot of adrenaline when it happened, I sure would have as well. Maybe even a change of underwear. :rolleyes:

Conjecturing whether the dealer would have admitted the cause of the damage is a waste of time and energy. What is done is done. Move on is my advice.

Yeah, I know about moving on and that is what I will do. Nothing to be done now but wait for the fix and make sure it is right. The dealership assured me they will replace the bumper cover. Just had to vent a little as it helps with my "dealing with it" process. Having to file an insurance claim would have really been a bummer.

As I said, the dealership is trying to do the right thing so far.

I am sorry to say I have a very similar story. When my dealer f'ed up my hood I made them pull a hood from one of thier new cars in the same color so I would not have aftermarket paint on my brand new car. I would have them pull the bumper clip from one of their new cars that is your color, put it on yours and make them fix the other car and put that 'repaired' car in their loaner program. I had to consult with my attorney before they would do this with mine. There is no way I would be happy with aftermarket paint on my new Lexus; aftermarket paint is not the same in my opinion.

I really wish you hadn''t told me that about your hood! The repainted bumper cover really bugs me too although, the dealer assures me it is with PPG paint like the original and I will not be able to tell. I will be looking at it with a magnifying glass in bright sunlight for flaws, color match and correct seams! Arrrghh!

Honestly? It will be just like new, especially on a bumper cover. Just look over it well.

If anything it should match better than a part off another car, every car's paint is a slightly different tint as a part of the manufacturing process. When they repaint panels on cars nowadays they manually tint the color to match the color on that specific car.

Accidents happen, I've had my car damaged by the dealer too and its maddening but as long as they're willing to do right by it then theres not a whole lot else you can do.

SW03ES always has a little bit more sound advice than I do and he tends to speak logically, whereas I have a more emotional stance. By all means, I would listen to him.

With that said Lexus did repaint my hood using all of those fancy new techniques you all mentioned – I looked at it closely and did not realize it wasn’t perfect until two months later in the beaming sunlight at a certain angle.

My concern is that I have had cars with aftermarket paint and the paint did match perfectly, initially. The paint did not wear the same as factory paint in the long run.

To each his own on this issue, but if it were my car - there would be a clip being removed from another car.

My hood, from the other car in Starfire - matches perfectly.

(My dealer also had to pluck a front clip from another Starfire 350 because when my car came in the other dealer had installed the front plate - it also matches perfectly. I think the factory paint mixtures match pretty well if I can’t tell the difference.)

I had someone in a school parking lot not pay attention that I was stopped, there were even speed bumps there, ran into me from behind. The options were to have the cover repaired or replaced. The Lexus certified body shop assured me everything would be to my liking! I opted for the replacement. As you are now, I was concerned about the paint matching. I wrote here in the forum and asked opinions of people in the forum. They told me that the PPG paint is considered better than the factory paint and that the matching would be perfect to my car.

Well, they did just as promised. The first time I inspected my car there were streaks in a small area, I pointed it out to them. The assembly was not exact, I pointed it out to them, it is now perfect. I had to let go my issues with the car not being exactly what I picked up from the dealer that one Saturday morning when I bought it. Now it makes absolutely no difference. It is almost a year later now, and I still see no difference, I wash it and use the polishes as advised by people in this forum and protect all the paint. Really, what bothers me more are the chips from driving the Arizona highways. I'd have to "clear bra" the entire car, I even have a chip on the roof!

I agree with Steve, a paint job will do a better job of matching the color, and since the paint on the car is still new, the wear will be practically the same. Just protect it as best you can. I have been to factories and know issues with that. For instance, in order to reduce VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) from being released into the air, they only paint silver cars one day of the week, they have the highest content of VOCs. So, has the paint been sitting in a barrel since the last time? Was there some left in there when they put in a new batch to fill? Who's is to say the paint is exactly the same from week to week to week? And, in the baking process, what if one car gets baked 1 minute more than the other one? There is no difference in cost in making the paint exactly the same from car to car. So, they do not care about that as much...

Thanks for the reasoned and intelligent replies gentlemen. My ES was manufactured in April '08 and was one of two with the UL/ML-NAV packages they had when I bought it the first of September. It was there to get the 1000 mile checkup and replace the clear hood bra as it was stained about 3 days after I picked it up and they had agreed to replace it.

I will be looking very closely at the fit and finish of the new bumper cover in direct sunlight and will accept nothing but perfection. It has the parking assist sensors in it too and they will have to be matched.

Ironically, I just recieved an email from the dealership asking if my service "experience" yesterday was all I expected it to be and they hope it was truly outstanding! I referred the emailer to the service rep that damaged my car to get the answer and , again voiced my displeasure with the "experience" . I will wait and hope for the best! Nothing else really to do. Maybe go work on my Hemicar to help stop thinking about it!

Carl

I should also point out that my car had 0 miles on it when the damage occurred. In hindsight, I should probably have refused delivery.

It sounds like you have a good attitude about the whole thing.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the reasoned and intelligent replies gentlemen. My ES was manufactured in April '08 and was one of two with the UL/ML-NAV packages they had when I bought it the first of September. It was there to get the 1000 mile checkup and replace the clear hood bra as it was stained about 3 days after I picked it up and they had agreed to replace it.

I will be looking very closely at the fit and finish of the new bumper cover in direct sunlight and will accept nothing but perfection. It has the parking assist sensors in it too and they will have to be matched.

Ironically, I just recieved an email from the dealership asking if my service "experience" yesterday was all I expected it to be and they hope it was truly outstanding! I referred the emailer to the service rep that damaged my car to get the answer and , again voiced my displeasure with the "experience" . I will wait and hope for the best! Nothing else really to do. Maybe go work on my Hemicar to help stop thinking about it!

Carl

What is a "clear hood bra?" Thanks!

With that said Lexus did repaint my hood using all of those fancy new techniques you all mentioned – I looked at it closely and did not realize it wasn’t perfect until two months later in the beaming sunlight at a certain angle.

No they didn't. If they had done it right they would have matched and tinted the color and painted the entire hood. They only painted the edge and blended yours up into the top of the hood. Even that is okay, but for yours they didn't step the blend out far enough over the hood...so you noticed a change in color.

They did a crappy job, which unfortunately a lot of body shops...especially dealer shops...do

If it were me I would have done a ton of research and chosen a body shop myself.

My concern is that I have had cars with aftermarket paint and the paint did match perfectly, initially. The paint did not wear the same as factory paint in the long run.

I've had cars that have had body work and then had 100,000 miles put on them and the aftermarket paint wore just like the factory paint.

Its the same paint, and now with modern paintbooths its applied the same way. No difference.

MGreen66: the clear hood bra I am talking about is actually called "invisi-shield". It is a clear plastic film that just goes up the hood about a foot to protect the leading edge and is also applied to the fender edges and the outside mirrors. From a few feet away you cannot see it and it is mainly a chip protector. My dealer has it put on all the vehicles he sells and, of course, adds that to the price!

Mine was stained from pecan tree drippings and had light green splotches on it in a couple of places. The dealer said they will sometimes stain, even from bug juice, but turn clear again in a couple of weeks! Mine did not turn clear again and they are replacing it.

No they didn't. If they had done it right they would have matched and tinted the color and painted the entire hood. They only painted the edge and blended yours up into the top of the hood. Even that is okay, but for yours they didn't step the blend out far enough over the hood...so you noticed a change in color.

They did a crappy job, which unfortunately a lot of body shops...especially dealer shops...do

You are correct on all of the abovementioned fronts (and possibly a bit terse in your delivery :) ); I asked the dealer specifically to touch up a small chip and not sand anything, which I had in writing. They chose to sand and paint a portion of the hood and then lied about the repair. This all happened before I took delivery, thus I had a firm foot to stand on requesting the hood swap when I realized what they actually did during the repair.

It’s the same paint, and now with modern paint booths it’s applied the same way. No difference.

Are you saying they put the car in an airtight booth (so no particulates are in the air) and a machine powder coats/clear coats the affected areas exactly as they do in the Lexus manufacturing plant? Am I wrong to assume a human is painting the car? If I am incorrect in my assumptions, I apologize. If I am correct, human's and machines do not always result in the same application of paint.

Regardless, there is no way I would have accepted a new Lexus with a hood that was repaired, even if that repair was limited to paint.

You are correct on all of the abovementioned fronts (and possibly a bit terse in your delivery :) ); I asked the dealer specifically to touch up a small chip and not sand anything, which I had in writing. They chose to sand and paint a portion of the hood and then lied about the repair. This all happened before I took delivery, thus I had a firm foot to stand on requesting the hood swap when I realized what they actually did during the repair.

Not meant to be terse towards you, but the issue with your hood was due to poorly done bodywork. Had the hood been repainted properly you'd have never noticed.

Are you saying they put the car in an airtight booth (so no particulates are in the air) and a machine powder coats/clear coats the affected areas exactly as they do in the Lexus manufacturing plant? Am I wrong to assume a human is painting the car? If I am incorrect in my assumptions, I apologize. If I am correct, human's and machines do not always result in the same application of paint.

They do put the car in an airtight paint booth with air filtration yes. The paint is applied by hand, but it is wetsanded and finished down to match the peel and feel of the original paint. The original paint is wetsanded after its applied too.

Ever seen a really good painter paint a car? Its not unlike watching a robot do it...honestly.

Regardless, there is no way I would have accepted a new Lexus with a hood that was repaired, even if that repair was limited to paint.

Nor would I...

R&B - glad you got a kick out of my post. I must say, Steve has given me a lot of sound advice since my joining this sight.

Thanks, honestly.

I think the source of Randy's bemusement was the "less emotional stance" lol. I will admit, I can get worked up. But I would like to think I'm logical.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the source of Randy's bemusement was the "less emotional stance" lol. I will admit, I can get worked up. But I would like to think I'm logical.

Stevie's contributions to this site CANNOT be overshadowed!! His "logic" is awesome, especially when he laces it with his "emotional stance". :D

I will second Randy's statement. Steve and I had a "GO ROUND" when I first joined the site; however, Steve has always given very sound advice. If you are looking for his sympathy then you will be disappointed. But, I'd rather have the sound logical advice that he always provides!

I just cannot believe it! I took my 2008 UL ES350 in for it's 1000 mile checkup and to have the invisi-shield on the hood replaced (another story) and a service rep, while parallel parking a RX350 behind me hits the corner of my car's rear bumper and put a 4" gouge in it! All the way thru the paint to the rubber and is about a 1/2" wide and 4" long. I was actually standing about 50 ft. away and watched it happen.

The rep gets out of the RX350 and says he cut it a little close! I was so mad I was ready to start wailing on the guy and he realized it very quickly! He said "is this your car?"and I replied it damn sure is. Makes me wonder if he would have said anything if I had not seen it happen. Anyway he get all apologetic and says they can fix it as they have the only "certified Lexus body shop" around and I told him the only fix I am interested in is a replacement bumper cover, not a repair and he said that will be done, all the while apologizing profusely.

We went to his office and he made a call about the cover and called the manager in and told him what he had done to my car and he was getting it taken care of ASAP. They put me in a loaner RX350 for as long as it takes and said it should be no longer than 3 to 4 days but I am still PO'ed as the car is Tungsten Pearl and I know how hard it is to match silver paint! My car will no longer be factory-put-together perfect either.

So far, the dealership is trying to do the right thing ( I keep wondering if that would be true if I had not seen the guy do it! ) and I just worry about the repair being right. Also, will carfax now say my car has been wrecked? Son of a.........! I am still mad!

I would request to see the "old" damaged bumper that they removed from the vehicle. Not to completely doubt that they are truly replacing the bumper, but this will ensure they have replaced it vs. repairing it.

That is definitely a bum deal. It may be worth "milking" to get an added upgrade or mod out of them as well.

Well, the repair has been done and it is perfect looking now. I had to send it back twice before the fit and finish was perfect (they were bringing it to my home for inspection) but they did a great job. Of course, they were very apologetic and were determined to make me happy , but it was frustrating. It took a little over a week.

The service manager was directly involved as well as the paint shop manager before it was all finished but it was well done. Also, because I asked for nothing more than my car to be fixed right, the Service Manager told me all the service calls thru and including the 30,000 mile checkup will be free of charge. I guess I will get over it eventually as my ES again, looks new.

Glad you got it all solved, fixed, and with extras to compensate. Accidents happen, and I know that the paint on your guys' cars are more complex than my "natural white" color on the 4Runner (which I've had to had the front and rear bumpers repainted ughh) but body shops do a pretty good job.

I remember when my RX300 got into an accident, I was thinking that the 2 tone, the lower beige color (color was Golden Pearl, top was white pearl, bottom was beige)would not match the rest of the beige around the car, but to my surprise, it turned out to be PERFECT match (in whatever light and angle I looked at it.) ..

Technology is amazing. ;) Besides, even if you did not see the porter back the RX350 into your car, the car is still under the dealership's responsibility ESPECIALLY if the damage is significant (you should see me, I always do a full walk-around before I drive off to see if there's any new scratches or dents). ;) Once I got a new rim from Toyota because when they rotated my tires, the tech was careless on one rim, and made this big chip on my rim, so I told them and they agreed to replace my rim free of charge. :)