Amazing Mpg

an ly

recently took a 1000 mile road trip, amazing what MPG i got. I have a 99 ls with about 61000 miles, recently did the 60k service. took a road trip, i first fill the tank to max. then drove until i need refill, amazing it got to 464 miles when my gas lights came on, i think i could push until 500 miles but didn't want to take the chance so i exit the freeway and refill. How many v8 out there can get such miles on a tank, let a lone being a world class motor. Amazing machine, the ls is hands down the best mpg for v8, reliability and class, its legendary.

AN

That's pretty good mileage, Lets say you filled up 18 gallons since you say you filled up when the light came on, that's about 25.7777778 mpg

Too bad you didn't do the math...

Did you fill to lock or did you fill it to the brim until it started spilling out. If you topped off at all math results wouldn't be right anyways.

Isn't it the greatest? I have a 90 model and believe it or not, I STILL get that great gas mileage on mine. I can go a little less, aproximately 430 on a full tank, not topped off, just filled till pump kick off I'm not sure how far it could actually be pushed; I've never run it until the gas light comes on, just till the guage is right on the E line--but that's not bad for a 90 model V8 engine. B)

Drove from Elko to Reno on I-80 at 75-80 mph, a distance of 294 miles, used 11.1 gallons, 26.75 mpg. Not too shabby for a 12 year old LS400.

Around town is another matter, about 19. I use my Suzuki V-Strom for local driving, weather permitting (55 mpg). Also, I use midrange, not premium and have not had any problems (89 octane).

I consistently get 26.8 mpg on the highway driving 70-80 mph in my 1997 LS400 170k miles when traveling from Middle to West Tennessee. 200 miles each way.

I hope your Middle Tenn. cover the point spread today... tooo.

I drive about 1,500 hiway miles per week and I consistently get between 25-26mpg on my 1997 LS400 with 158K miles. Interesting, in far west Texas the speed limit is 80 mph on I-10 and get better mileage at that speed than I do at 65-70 and it seems to run smoother. Might be there are no hills out there. I also notice I get better gas mileage with Valero or Shell than I do with other brands.

TexasBigDog :D

1997 LS400 158K miles

2000 LS400 28K miles

Oh wow you must have some major issues with your car.... :(

Have you had any big maintenance done? Plugs.... wires.... tranny.... filters... etc...?

i just did a tune up and flushed all fluids. I heard it may be the thermostat or coolent temp sensor. which if any of these could cause it any advice? other than the gas milage and regular LS quarks I love my car.

Oh wow you must have some major issues with your car.... :(

Have you had any big maintenance done? Plugs.... wires.... tranny.... filters... etc...?

i just did a tune up and flushed all fluids. I heard it may be the thermostat or coolent temp sensor. which if any of these could cause it any advice? other than the gas milage and regular LS quarks I love my car.

o crap sorry for the double post.

What is the "TUNE UP" you didn't specify in the other thread either.

A tune up can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people. It would help a lot to know what exactly was done.