Oem Barke Pads Or Non-oem Brake Pads?

DuaneG

I am about to replace my rear brake pads and I don't know of I should replace them with OEM or go with non-OEM pads? I have not taken the calipers off yet so I don't know if the rotors need to be re-surfaced/replaced. I am just concerned with the pads right now.

OEM or Non-OEM?

D

Match pads and rotors

ie... OEM pads with OEM rotors

or Knock-off pads with Knock-off rotors.

NOT Knock-off pads with OEM rotors, or vice versa.

I have heard of AND EXPERIENCED problems with mixing products.

If you had a Mercedes or a Volvo I would install PBR brand ceramic pads. If a Camaro or a Mustang, I'd install Raybestos Gold line pads. But in a Toyota or a Lexus, use OEM. They are the best for the car, last long, quiet, great pedal feel, no dust, minimal if any rotor wear. I can't think of any reason except price to use a non OEM pad in a Lexus, and the price factor is a difference of about eight gallons of gas. Big deal.

Use OEM on these cars, and you will NEVER complain about the parts.

Match pads and rotors

I have owned the car for about a month so I don't know if I am on OEM or not for any of it. But if I don't go OEM, go ceramic?

Match pads and rotors

I have owned the car for about a month so I don't know if I am on OEM or not for any of it. But if I don't go OEM, go ceramic?

Depends on whether you're looking for the best or the cheapest or something in between. Plenty of threads on this topic with a lot of differing opinions. For my money, I do oem for just about everything. I bought a high quality luxo vehicle. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It doesn't make sense to me to use lesser quality cheap parts. I may as well have bought a cheaper vehicle to start. My perspective.

I bought some OEMs from the dealer for $85, which was a pretty decent price. I will give an update after a couple of "stops."

BTW, should I use that stop squeek spray on these? Does Lexus have an issue with that?

D

If Lexus had an issue, they would have fixed it. There is no need for any modification to the factory pads. They don't squeal.

As far as I am concerned, having repaired just about every brand there is out there, Lexus cars are from another planet. They aren't like any other cars on the road, except for a resemblance to Toyota (obviously). They just work, and work well. Don't mess them up with "fixes" that lesser cars require.

Totally agree with above post I tried some aftermarket pads and they squeeled and produced so much dust the wheels needed cleaning after every outing.

Replaced again with OEM and 2 years later no problems at all.

I agree that squeal juice is not necessary. I replaced my rear pads in May (fronts a couple years ago) with OEM pads, and I have no problem with squeals, brake dust, stopping power, etc. Everything works great. I highly recommend OEM pads.

Added the OEM brakes to the rear and it was somewhat easy (had a friend with more knowledge helping.) So far so good. No squealing and they stop like a dream. I just saved about $200.

NEXT PROJECT!!