1991 Ls With 45k Miles..should I Go For It?

sv7887

Hi Everyone,

I used to post a ton on here as I had a 1992 LS400 that unfortunately was T-boned and never the same again...A 1991 showed up at a Lexus Dealer with 45K miles on it.

I have missed my LS ever since I had to sell it. There is just nothing like it at all. I have an E Class, it's nice but it doesn't have the grace, ride, or solid feeling that the original LS does...

I know I'll have to do some work on it. But..I'm paying $599 a month for this E Class that I barely drive..Even a used Corolla costs $13K these days. I'm familiar enough with this car to know what it needs. My LS needed the usual gambit of things, so I know what to ask and where to go to get a good deal.

What do you guys think?

Hi Everyone,

I used to post a ton on here as I had a 1992 LS400 that unfortunately was T-boned and never the same again...A 1991 showed up at a Lexus Dealer with 45K miles on it.

I have missed my LS ever since I had to sell it. There is just nothing like it at all. I have an E Class, it's nice but it doesn't have the grace, ride, or solid feeling that the original LS does...

I know I'll have to do some work on it. But..I'm paying $599 a month for this E Class that I barely drive..Even a used Corolla costs $13K these days. I'm familiar enough with this car to know what it needs. My LS needed the usual gambit of things, so I know what to ask and where to go to get a good deal.

What do you guys think?

As long as the car is less than id say $9k, buy it, all day long.

Hi,

Thanks for your post...They're asking $7,800 for it. If it pans out I'll offer 6800 for it. I looked on Kelley Blue Book and it's worth no more than $5K trade in. It still needs to go through their repair shop and detail. I am certain it will need work that goes without saying on an 18 yr old car.

I barely drive 4-5K a year so I did the math and felt even if this car laid some monster eggs over the next few years it will still make economic sense. Even a 6 yr old Corolla costs $10K list.

A LS of that age will probably need bushings, P/S Pump, Rack, Alternator, belts, and possibly fuel pump. It depends though. O2 Sensors might be another one.

Hi Everyone,

What do you guys think?

Hi,

Thanks for your post...They're asking $7,800 for it. If it pans out I'll offer 6800 for it. I looked on Kelley Blue Book and it's worth no more than $5K trade in. It still needs to go through their repair shop and detail. I am certain it will need work that goes without saying on an 18 yr old car.

I barely drive 4-5K a year so I did the math and felt even if this car laid some monster eggs over the next few years it will still make economic sense. Even a 6 yr old Corolla costs $10K list.

A LS of that age will probably need bushings, P/S Pump, Rack, Alternator, belts, and possibly fuel pump. It depends though. O2 Sensors might be another one.

Hi Everyone,

What do you guys think?

WE ALL KNOW HOW AWSOME THESE CARS ARE - THE PRICE THEY ARE ASKING IS NOT TOO BAD AND IF YOU CAN GET IT FOR $6800 YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET IT!!! I HOPE YOU DO!!!!! :cheers:

thats a rare find, i jump at it, but tried to bring it down, if they refuse to bring it down, possible negotiate for some work to car. WOW!! 91 with 45k on odometer unheard of. probably one of the lowest mileage Ls for 91 in USA. don't let this one slip by, hope its the pearl white i think its a timeless classic in pearl white.

An

I went for a 92 with 19,000 in Jan 08. The car needed service work for the 90K as it was so old. The cost is over 1500-. I paid 8,000 for the car and I love it but...

They aren't cheap cars by any imagination to keep. My 1992 was a money pit at the end of its time with me. It had 100K but was damaged in an accident..Prior to that accident it was a dream.

I am just thinking at the margin, it's either get a LS like this one, or get suckered into leasing another car which I really don't want to do.

A car like this will invariably need work and likely be expensive. But I know the foundation of this car is strong..The LS was built like no other, a build quality I don't see in today's cars. I've driven practically everything and have yet to find a car that impresses me. Even a $100K S Class has plastic coated door handles inside. Nothing really has that assembly quality of a LS400.

Even a Corolla can hit $21K today new...Even if I bought this car and it laid some king size eggs, I doubt I'll get anywhere near $20K or even 15K. It isn't the engine on a LS that is going to go..It's sensors, displays, and possibly some mechanical parts like thermostat, pulleys, P/S Pump, Rack, Hose, and Alternator.

We will see. The dealer was playing the "Someone else is interested game" too. I won't jump rashly on it. There is a 1995 LS with 15K miles on cars.com too.

Thanks for all your comments,

Sam

these cars age so well that i wouldnt look at mileage, but at service records and overall condition. buy a perfect 93 or 94 LS for about 4k. Keep that extra 2k in the bank to pay for upkeep. I doubt you will spend that much if its clean. Besides 93-94 ls400's have better proportions!

• 3 months later...
these cars age so well that i wouldnt look at mileage, but at service records and overall condition. buy a perfect 93 or 94 LS for about 4k. Keep that extra 2k in the bank to pay for upkeep. I doubt you will spend that much if its clean. Besides 93-94 ls400's have better proportions!

the only thing that is really different from the 1990- 1992 from the 1993-1994 is brakes,wheels,a few minor things.I own a 1991 with 20 inch wheels i mean this cars looks better then a 1996.I have people stopping me all day with 2000 lexus asking me whether i want to sell to them.beautiful car.I have it on cardomain.com and it is rated out of all the lexus on there rank # 2

Congrats on finding this one. :cheers: Only two things to consider, imo. Make real sure that the mileage is original and authentic and can be verified. Make damn sure the car hasn't been in an accident. If it's clear on both of those items, then I'd beat you to the dealer to scoop this one up!

Finding a low mileage gen 1 LS400 is a dream. I had a chance at a local 1990 LS400 with 58K miles last year, but they wanted $7200 for it.

Depending on where the car was kept over the years will make a difference on what it may need. If it was started/driven ever so often, it should be OK, but if it had 45K in 1994 and never driven, it may need more. Also if kept in will make a big difference. My 1991 has over 200K and AFAIK, it has the original bushings, steering rack, etc and there are no issues. My PS pump is leaking though. Timing belt/water pump was changed 16K ago.

You may want to change the timing belt too. Not an "interference" engine, but still may want that belt and water pump changed out.

Low miles isn't worth as much as they are asking. That car has 15 inch wheels, small brakes, and R12 in the A/C. If it ever gets smacked in an accident, you're going to get far less than you'll pay from the insurance. They are great cars for sure - hell I own one - but for that money I'd get a good second gen with two air bags, big brakes, big wheels, and more power.

Dealers love to entice folks with "low miles". Be careful.

If sr doesn't want it, I'll take it. Two pistons are better than one - can always upgrade anyway. Wheel size aint a deal breaker for me. A/c Conversion is cheap enough. The one thing I'll agree on is insurance. The payout on a totaled '91 has cause me to drop my collision coverage (they won't give you what you think the car is worth - unless you get it appraised, and even then their appraisal will be low) and drive like a little old lady. I'm always backing off from dicy situations where when I was driving newer cars, I would take on anyone. I just don't want to lose my mint '91. With many of todays drivers virtually getting their licences from sending in cereal boxtops, you just don't know when they're going to plow into you and ruin your day. Now when I'm in my beater, whole different ball game. The invitation is "come'n get sum!" It's getting to be a hazard zone out there sometimes. You just watch what drivers do the next time our fuel reserves run low and gas stations start running out of gas. Sorry, got off topic there. Last point, 1st gen has a lot going for it. If the low mileage is bonified, you have the history (no bangs) and the price is right, I'd get any series LS.

• 3 weeks later...
... The invitation is "come'n get sum!" It's getting to be a hazard zone out there sometimes. You just watch what drivers do the next time our fuel reserves run low and gas stations start running out of gas. Sorry, got off topic there.

Holy Moley...EUBT just had a beer-induced "Mad Max/Road Warrior" flash-forward!

:cheers:

Hi Everyone,

What do you guys think?

Did you ever get the 92 LS400? I got mine from Miller Motor Car in Florida one year ago. It had 58,000 miles on it. $6,500.