Clean Your Tips!

I really like the look of the factory chrome tips on my 90 LS. Although they looked okay, I spent quite a bit of time and really cleaned them. What a difference. I see many nice Lexus cars with nasty looking tips.

• 4 weeks later...

After many years of neglect, Nevr-Dull and Polishes do not do much for the corrosion, tar and other debris that seems to attach to the SS Tips. What I did was use a soapy SOS pad to lightly clean and remove all the grim and debris from the tips, then go back with a wad cleaner or polish.

A SOS pad also works very good to remove film from all chromed surfaces and glass. Just use a light touch and keep the pad very soapy for lubrication.

Works Well!

:cheers:

• 1 year later...

Tip # 1-Actually SOS pads are #0 (0/6)Synthetic Steel Wool

Tip # 2-Using chrome cleaner will remove the dulling that a car wash concentrate can’t. Apply a chrome cleaner (Smichrome or Mother’s Mag and Aluminium Polish) to a cool, dry exhaust, do not let the cleaner dry on the surface, for stubborn stains use #0000 synthetic steel wool and the metal polish. Protect the exhaust with a polymer sealant (Zoopseal)

JonM

Tip # 2-Using chrome cleaner will remove the dulling that a car wash concentrate can’t. Apply a chrome cleaner (Smichrome or Mother’s Mag and Aluminium Polish) to a cool, dry exhaust, do not let the cleaner dry on the surface, for stubborn stains use #0000 synthetic steel wool and the metal polish. Protect the exhaust with a polymer sealant (Zoopseal)

JonM

Where can I get this #0000 synthetic steel wool? Home Depot? I'm interested. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am wanting to clean my chrome exhaust tips with synthetic steel wool, but I cant find it. Home Depot doesnt carry it and neither does Menards. I bought #0000 steel wool from Home Depot, but it is not synthetic. Does it really matter if it is synthetic or not? Has anyone used both SOS pad and steel wool before. I am looking for an unbiased opinion. :blink:

I am wanting to clean my chrome exhaust tips with synthetic steel wool, but I cant find it.  Home Depot doesnt carry it and neither does Menards.  I bought #0000 steel wool from Home Depot, but it is not synthetic.  Does it really matter if it is synthetic or not?  Has anyone used both SOS pad and steel wool before.  I am looking for an unbiased opinion. :blink:

The # Zero's are a comparative abrasive scale (#0 most abrasive #000000 least abrasive)

Steel wool =#0000

SOS Pad = #0

JonM

JonM

this is what I mean. Has anyone heard of synthetic steel wool?

• 2 months later...