Homelink Garage Door Opener

denslexusgx470

Many have questions on how to program the Homelink buttons. It is in the owner's manual but sometimes it may be confusing to understand the terminology. I've summarized what the manual states, and hopefully this will help anyone in the future (as I have in the past already hehe)

"Ok. Delete the codes in the homelink then try this. (To delete, hold down the first and third buttons at the same time, hold for about 30-60 seconds till the light blinks really fast. Release and check if deleted if the light blinks at a slow but steady pace. That means there's nothing stored on that button)

Hold down the garage door button and the homelink button u want programmed. Once the light changes from a slow blinking light to a rapid blinking light, release both buttons. Then go to the garage door openner and (this is different for all garage door openners) push the "learn" button ONCE. Within 30 secs, press the same button u programmed 3 times, and it should work."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

No problem! I now know that the problem that most people encounter is deleting the old codes from the homelink. Sometimes you are unsuccessful the first time but the homelink system already "learned" the code, so you have to delete the old codes before the instructions will work.

• 1 month later...
Glad to be of help. ;)

Same for me... I had been trying to programm the thing, and it just wouldn't take the code. I must've spend 2 hours trying to do it. I deleted the codes, and then it took.

THANKS!

Ditto: HAD TO REMOVE PREV. CODES. MANUAL DOESN'T TELL YOU THAT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Many have questions on how to program the Homelink buttons. It is in the owner's manual but sometimes it may be confusing to understand the terminology. I've summarized what the manual states, and hopefully this will help anyone in the future (as I have in the past already hehe)

"Ok. Delete the codes in the homelink then try this. (To delete, hold down the first and third buttons at the same time, hold for about 30-60 seconds till the light blinks really fast. Release and check if deleted if the light blinks at a slow but steady pace. That means there's nothing stored on that button)

Hold down the garage door button and the homelink button u want programmed. Once the light changes from a slow blinking light to a rapid blinking light, release both buttons. Then go to the garage door openner and (this is different for all garage door openners) push the "learn" button ONCE. Within 30 secs, press the same button u programmed 3 times, and it should work."

This is my first time asking for help with my ES300 2003 homelink garage door opener. I have tried every method in all of the blogs and I have not been able to program my remote homelink in my car. Help.

I have a Genie Intellicode opener in my garage. I have a Genie hand held remote control that operates my garage door. But my homelink in my ES300 2003 does not work no matter what I do. I cleared by holding down both outside buttons. I tried the learn button on the garage opener in the garage with a push of the button and the light blinked for 30 seconds. During thoes 30 seconds I pushed every possible combination of buttons in my car. I read the Genie instructions. I read the Lexus owners manual on how to program a regular and intellicode. I tried both ways. I tried pushing the button in my car once, twice, three times. I held the buttons for 2 seconds, 10 seconds and 30 plus seconds. The lights in the car blinked rapid, slow, solid and out. I held my Genie hand held an inch from the homelink after I cleared it and still nothing. Help, help, help. Thanks.

When you get to the step that requires the learning code, go to the opener and press the learn button, then within 30 seconds go back to your car and press the SAME button you programmed in the first few steps (hold down that button) and I can't remember if the lights flash or something but I remember the garage door opener flashes the lights a certain way. Then try the button and let me know if it still doesn't work ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi - my first post and I just want to say thanks for the excellent instructions for the Homelink. I had a hard time understanding the manual, but I read these, and got it on the first try. Just wanted to convey my thanks!

This is Bob Mack: I have a 2008 ES350 that I have tried on numerous occasions to program the Home Link to my new Liftmaster door opener (actually two) with no success. I got new instructions from the dealer and the Garage Door Company, still doesn't work. Dealer replaced the Home Link unit in the car... still doesn't work, so I gave up, I use the Liftmaster Remote that came with the Garage Door operner. B)

If you attempted to do it once already, let's say you want it programed on button number 1, and there is no success, you will need to "delete" that incorrect programing on button 1 and try the steps again.

• 6 months later...

I want to add how important this pinned thread was to me. I just purchased a new Craftsman Garage Door Opener with the Rolling Codes function. I tried reprogramming my RX330s Homelink using the Car Owners Manual and it just wouldn't take.

Following instructions here, I erased all old codes in my vehicles Homelink panel by pressing and holding the outer two buttons. Then I programmed one of the vehicle buttons using a handheld remote from the garage door opener. Next, I pressed the learning button on the side panel of the garage door opener. Within 30 seconds of this, I pressed the vehicle Homelink button twice which I had matched to handheld remote from the garage door opener.

This procedure worked. My RX330 Homelink panel now activates my new garage door opener.

Thanks!!!

• 3 months later...

Great to have this info, I read the instructions in the manual and understood them perfectly, I did exactly what it said and no-go. I cleared the codes entered the code form my new openers remote and still nothing. My manual (00) said nothing about a "learn button" but as soon as I tried the method in this post above it worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

• 5 months later...

After talking with HomeLink, I was instructed to repeatedly press the garage door opener remote(not the car Homelink button) that I was using instead of holding it down while still holding the HomeLink button during the training mode. This worked after about 60 seconds (and many many up-and-downs from the garage door). I still had to hit the "Learn" button on the garage door opener, and then press the HomeLink button three times within 30 seconds of hitting "Learn." Also, I was using a "dual frequency" Genie remote, and I had to switch the frequency on the remote to work with HomeLink in the car.

This worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

If you attempted to do it once already, let's say you want it programed on button number 1, and there is no success, you will need to "delete" that incorrect programing on button 1 and try the steps again.

One problem that people may be having is holding the garage opener motor 'learn' button TOO long. If you do this, it will erase the codes to ALL your hand-held remote openers issued with the door (As it did on my new 'Lift Master' garage door opener)...PLUS any other vehicle Homelink buttons programed.

Be sure to just press the 'learn' button on the garage door opener housing until the little 'learn' button light first comes on (if so equipped)...NOT FLASHES. If it flashes, you've erased ALL codes, but not to worry. Repress the 'learn button until the light comes on, press your hand held remote, and the main garage door light bulb will flash once. That means the code has been reset. You will have to repeat the process with your second hand-held remote also, since it's code will have been erased...along with all other vehicles that have been programmed with the same code.

The same may be true for garage door motor housings equipped with the 'learn' button with NO button light. Mine has a little green light by the button and I'm not familiar with other openers.

In either case, hold the 'learn' button down for a second or two only, and that should suffice.

Then you can set up your Homelink visor button.

Once you have performed all the steps outlined posted by our learned fellow-member denslexusgx470, press the garage door motor housing 'learn' button until the light comes on (BUT DOESN'T FLASH)..or for a second or two if button has no indicator light) press your now code-free Homelink button on the vehicles visor, until the garage door main light bulb flashes once (Lift Master garage door openers) and presto! Your homelink button will now work.

In my case, the garage door MAIN LIGHT BULB WILL FLASH ONCE, then I know the new programed remote will work. Again, I don't know about other brands of door openers.

One other thing. The vehicle's homelink button should be pressed until the visor light flashes and then the garage door will open/close. Just pressing the button and letting go quickly like a handheld will not work (At least not for both my Lexus SUV RX and ES Sedan). I just hold the visor button down and when it flashes rapidly the door operates normally.

When I purchased my second Lexus with the Homelink I just did the simple routine outlined above and now I have 4 garage remotes. One Homelink in each vehicle, plus the 2 hand-held/visor clipped) remotes.

This comes in handy when my wife and I are out and one of the kids comes over and needs to get into the garage for something using my hand-held garage remote,(like my son borrowing my riding mower...LOL) or if we have a nasty weather day and my daughter wants to take the baby in the house out of the weather, she uses my wife's remote, or either of them can swing by the house to take delivery of a bulky item to store in the garage when we are both out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow, have had my car for 3 years, and owned a house for the past year with a garage door opener, and never could get them linked. Bought the car new, and tried doing it according to the owners manual with no luck. Tried this and, VOILA!! It's working! Excellent info, thanks!

• 2 years later...

The secret is to call Homelink. Their service is great. I tried for hours to get the garage door working. There's lots of instructions around but their not very good. For example in my case with the Learn button on the opener they say to just press it and then press the HL button. In reality you have to use the remote on the HL then ALSO go to the learn button and do the HL button again. Who would ever know?

2010 LS460

• 1 month later...

Finally, I was able to program my 2004RX to my Chamberlin opener (just moved in). I had lots of issues and tried many times, reading the threads on this site and looking at a homelink web.

Here was my problem. My RX already had the 3 buttons already programmed to other devices and I was trying to re-program both my cars to our newer home. Will not work. If, as in the documented step 1 of the book, you press the homelink and remote together and the blinking visor lite is rapid, you are out of luck! The directions indicate that a slow blink will turn to rapid....mines never had a slow blink on any of the 3 button sets. I did not get a slow blink even when I just pressed the 3 buttons. (However, after the memory reset, the same 3 button went to a slow flash....I knew something was different)

So, I decided to erase the entire homelink car memory by depressing the outside 2 buttons. Hold down both for about 20sec. When the steady lite flashes rapidly, all codes are gone. I really was hoping for another way since one of my buttons would have still been good. There is no way that I know to only erase a selected button, just all of them.

Next, since I knew my opener had a rolling code (the book said to look for a flashing lite that eventually goes steady) I had to depress the "learn" button. The button has a lite go on and you have about 30sec to go to the car an press the same homelink button again. Hold it down till the flashing lite goes to solid. My opener did a flash too on this first press, indicating that something took hold. I then depressed the button a 2nd time and when the homelink lite went solid, the garage door started to close. WORKS! I did not require a 3rd time button depression.

The key is whether the system allows programming. First, the homelink is alligned with the remote, next the garage opener is hooked up with the homelink. DO NOT press the "learn" button and the garage remote together UNLESS you are trying to re-program the remote opener buttons to sync up with the actual opener. (You may require to do this after doing the cars.....I did because I had 2 doors being operated by 1 remote...the 2nd remote button did not remember the 1st opener), If you have the rolling code, only the homelink button is pressed 2 times (some of you may need 3rd time) after pressing the "learn" button. Also, hold it down till the flashing light goes to steady, not just a press 2 times. If the opener doesn't blink (if you got bulbs in it) or if you don't hear a sound like a blink, your programming did not work.

Determine if your car already has a full set of 3 programs. If a new car, that should not be a problem. Press a homelink button and you should just get a steady blinking lite vs. a rapid blink (that is what happend after I reset all whole button set by pressing the outer 2 and waiting 20sec till the lite flashes)....Really works

• 1 month later...

My garage door opener worked and all of a sudden stopped working.

Is there a fuse that needs to be replaced? I'd like to know this before I take it in and if it is something I can change on my own.

I'm a female and feel the moment I walk into a garage I'm going to be charged for things I don't need.

My garage door opener worked and all of a sudden stopped working.

Is there a fuse that needs to be replaced? I'd like to know this before I take it in and if it is something I can change on my own.

I'm a female and feel the moment I walk into a garage I'm going to be charged for things I don't need.

Hi Deb and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

You may be right that it could be as simple as a fuse.I looked through a couple of older Owners Manuals I have and found that it is probably just one of many systems that could be protected by one fuse. None of the manuals show a specific circut for the garage door opener.

I don't know if you have worked with any Lexus dealers before, but most owners find them a breath of fresh air when compared to the typical stereo type of a car dealer.

To ensure your getting good information, take your 300rx to a Lexus dealer and then a Toyota dealer. I'm not 100% sure the Toyota shop will have those parts but they can certainly give you a second opinion. Also, if you want, ask around for the name of a good independant mechanic if you'd like another opinion. Please, do not take you Lexus to a Jiffy Lube, Firestone, Pennzoil shop or Sears. They will do more harm than good.

Come back and let us know how things turn out.

Paul

It worked! Key was to erase old programming. Suggestion: If you have a mechanical disconnect between your door and the opener drive, use it. Saves a lot of commotion with the door going up and down.

Thanks!!