Trailer Wiring Rx330

jim s

I want to install a wiring harness for a trailer. The dealer can't tell me what I need, or if the tow package includes a harness. It seem's ridicules to offer a tow package with out the means to connect a trailer harness.

I don't want to just cut into the wiring without knowing whether I can cause any electrical problems.

Any help out there?

I would like to hear from anyone who has added a trailer harness to their 330. The RX330 is supposed to come with the towing package but I don't guess Lexus definition of a towing package and mine are a little different. I would expect a wiring harness and a hitch to be included.

You need a towing package that includes a new converter...I believe you will have to add the pigtail/wiring harness.

jim s,

The tow package does include the necessary connection. I had to take my 330 to a trailer hitch company that the dealer recommeded, that way the warranty will not be questioned. They put the wiring harness on and hitch for $200.00. The harness (that comes with the tow packages) is under the left rear storage compartment. You have to remove the storage bin. It has been really a pain to get to this point, since Lexus really has not been much help. Hope this helps. Jim

• 3 weeks later...
You need a towing package that includes a new converter...I believe you will have to add the pigtail/wiring harness.

jim s,

The tow package does include the necessary connection. I had to take my 330 to a trailer hitch company that the dealer recommeded, that way the warranty will not be questioned. They put the wiring harness on and hitch for $200.00. The harness (that comes with the tow packages) is under the left rear storage compartment. You have to remove the storage bin. It has been really a pain to get to this point, since Lexus really has not been much help. Hope this helps. Jim

Jim,

I have the same problem... ordered the RX330 w/ the tow package along with the port installed hitch. Only to find out when I picked up the car last week there was no hitch as it was pulled from marketing because it only had a 1500 lb capacity. Lexus showed me where the tow wiring connector was in the back (after tearing the cargo area apart) and recommended tow & hitch place to have one installed.

The problem was when I called the recommended place, they said they one had done one RX330 but could not get the lights it to work without a bunch of warning indicator lights going off in the dash. It seems they don't use the installed tow connector because they don't have the mating plug. Instead they used some 'T' converter off the existing rear light.... I think that where the problem lies...

When they installed your system, do you know if they actually used the connector or just cut it off and spliced the wires?

You would think Lexus would just offer that wiring harness from that connector to the hitch... but it doesn't seem they do. :(

Let me know if you can.... Thanks for your help

Tom

tom,

You will need to call Waymire Group @ 317.634.4824 in Indianapolis to specifically answer your question. They installed the hitch/wiring harness. On the invoice they have listed a wire harness FLT CA and brackect kit. I am sorry about not being more specific since I am not really handy.

I will say, this is my first Lexus and will be my last. My expectations were set to high for this vehicle, and I have had no better treatment with the dealer and the costumer service personnel (800 #) than the Ford dealer down the road. It has all been lip service to this point. Good Luck, Jim

Thanks Jim,

At least you got yours set up to tow (and assume working).... I'm still working with dealership trying to get that RX330 tow harness pigtail.... They say they want me 100% satisfied with the purchase... Well let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

As a last resort I did find an after market OEM tow harness pigtail for the RX300, LX470, and Toyota 4Runner/Highlander/Land Cruiser on-line at etrailer.com for $13.70. I'm assuming it would make the connection for the RX330 tow connector. It just doesn't have that rubber grommet to plug that 2" hole it needs to go thru to go from inside to outside the vehicle.

It does appear that Lexus didn't plan this tow option very well which is quite unfortunate. But I do have to say, other then this I'm quite happy with the SUV... I hope that continues.

Anyway, thanks again for the info... I just still may need to contact the Waymire Group if I'm still running into problems to see exactly what they did to make it work.

Best Regards, Tom :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here so bear with me. My dealer wanted 800.00 plus dollars to install a class 2 hitch when I bought the car (2002 RX300) I did not buy it. I since have put a U-Haul hitch on looks great but dont have it wired.

Went to dealer yesterday to have the hook up Ubiversal wiring and they refused, claimed I must use their part approx 300.00 for wire kit and 160.00 for labor.

I refused to be ripped off this badly.

Can you point me in the right direction on where to get the kit and how to find the connector point in harness.

Thank You

EAB