1. 1. Which one would you own?

• 2009 Acura TL FWD
    • 2009 Acura SH AWD
    • Lexus IS 350 RWD
    • Lexus IS 250 AWD

post-42851-1222430113_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1222430121_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1222431074_thumb.jpg

The standard TL will be front-wheel drive and is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 that makes 280 hp and 254 pound-feet of torque, an increase of 22 hp and 21 lb-ft over the previous 3.2-liter V6. The new TL SH-AWD ("Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive") replaces the previous TL Type-S and is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 that produces 305 hp and 275 lbs-ft, an increase of 19 hp and 19 lb-ft over the 3.5-liter V6 of the Type-S. A five-speed automatic transmission is standard equipment for both engines and features shift paddles on the steering wheel.

TL SH AWD base price : $38,575 TL SH AWD w/ Tech Pkg : $42,235

post-42851-1222431030_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1222431040_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1222431048_thumb.jpg

The 2009 Lexus IS line offers three models: The rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS 350, the rear-drive Lexus IS 250 and an all-wheel drive Lexus IS 250. The IS 250's 2.5-liter V6 engine delivers 204 horsepower at 6,400 RPM and 185 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,800 rpm. The Lexus IS 350's 3.5-liter V6 delivers 306 horsepower at 6,400 RPM along with 277 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,800 rpm and can accelerate the car from zero-to-60 mph in just 5.3 seconds. Both engines use aluminum cylinder blocks and heads and employ dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), which controls timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts.A direct-type fuel-injection system provides a cooling effect in the cylinders, enabling the high compression needed to extract maximum energy from the fuel. Aside from its larger displacement, the 3.5-liter V6 differs chiefly in that it augments the direct fuel injection with port fuel injectors. In light- and medium-load conditions, these additional injectors help produce a precise burn, increasing power and efficiency. A dual exhaust system reduces backpressure at higher engine speeds. All 2009 Lexus IS models meet the Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle II

2009 IS 350 base price: $36,605 2009 IS 250 AWD base price price: $37,650

I put the IS 250 AWD and the IS 350 up because it was difficult to do a direct comparison. AWD is very nice to have in regions where weather can play a major role in the buying decision. But the IS 350 has the lure of refined speed. Which is also a huge draw.

I voted for what I have--250 AWD. I just don't want RWD in the northeast.

If the TL wasn't so damn ugly, I'd have voted for the TL AWD. I saw it on a TV commercial--it looks uglier than I had previously thought. (I saw a TSX in person, and it wasn't SO bad. But that TL is ugly...)

Of course, one could opt for a G37x, and get 300+ HP and AWD.

IS350 hands down! :) The new TL is fugly from any and all angles. I used to love Honda/Acura cars but as of late, I have given up on them. With the recent designs most likely to be around for the next 5-7 years, I won't be looking in that direction anytime soon.

I didn't add the GS 37X because it's a coupe. Which to me is a completely different car.

I was simply shocked at the design strategy of the new TL. Seriously......what engineer at Honda/Acura looked at the finish product of this model and said" Oh, baby...this is hot!!!" ???? I think the Hyundai line looks way better than the new TL!! The front grill looks like a smiley face! and the rear end looks like a 1998 Acura CL crashed into it!

I liked the looks of the TL-S before.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't add the GS 37X because it's a coupe. Which to me is a completely different car.

I was simply shocked at the design strategy of the new TL. Seriously......what engineer at Honda/Acura looked at the finish product of this model and said" Oh, baby...this is hot!!!" ???? I think the Hyundai line looks way better than the new TL!! The front grill looks like a smiley face! and the rear end looks like a 1998 Acura CL crashed into it!

I liked the looks of the TL-S before.

This year, the 3.7 engine is in the sedan too.

Why not add the gs350 AWD for good meaure? Seriously though, the new g37x is the car to get if you want AWD.

Coming from a person who drives an IS250 AWD...

G37x didn't exist when I bought my IS 250 AWD. Anyway, although I tried the g35x, I was mainly cross shopping smaller cars like the A4, TSX and C230 4matic. The OP is obviously wants something more powerful and in a mid-size format, hence my suggestion.

The front of the new TL looks like a knock off of the newer Cadillacs - YUCK!!! The back end looks like a futuristic verison of a car from the 50's - double YUCK!!!

The IS 350's stance is timeless and beautiful. I get compliments on my car ALL the time :D Hands down the RWD IS 350 is the best car. Not to mention that the interior layout and design of the Lexus line is far superior to the Acura line.