'96 Ls400 - Reliable?

Hey there,

Sorry if this sounds a bit trite…but I’ve owned dozens of cars – new and used but am new to the LEXUS fold.

I have the opportunity to but a 1996 LS400 that is in truly fantastic shape. (The car has about 96,000 miles on it) Original owner – detailed every two weeks (REALLY) – all maintenance done by dealer, no body work…., etc. (I Know he owner)

The car looks showroom new, comes with all the service invoices – everything perfect.

What I would like to know – and tap the collective knowledge of the LEXUS aficionados is: – what should I be looking for? Is the car good for a 100,000 miles more? What can I expect – major repair wise in the next year or two? Etc., etc.

I realize it’s a lot to ask – and if asked about BMW’s could expose at length – but LEXUS is totally foreign to me and the expert opinion of those ‘in the know’ would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

first off welcome to the club, as an owner of several different makes of cars before i can say with all honesty that lexus is the best car i've ever owned and wouldn't buy anything else. i also bought a pre owned lexus and have been nothing short of amazed since owning it. i have had no major repairs and i'm already over 160,000 miles. as far as any major concerns regarding repairs you might want i would check if the timing belt has been changed and if it has was it at 60k or 90k miles. as far as the mileage 100,000 is just broken in with good preventative maint. you should easily get 200,000+ i wouldn't bat an eyelash and buy it you'll be amazed at the quality guaranteed

I never see a Ls400 fail before. I replaced a lot of those v6 engine but never a V8. Ls400 is a well designed vehicle. There are a couple things you will need to for. Check motor mounts, transmission mount, rear knucle bushings, valve cover gaskets, dipstick 0-ring, lower ball joints and rear main seal. These are the things that usually go out on the Ls400. I know my lexus. B) Good luck with the purchase, You will love it.

www.jpimportz.org