Engine Knock

bigbill32

My 2007 ES 350 has a slight engine knock (?) when cold, goes away in about 5 Min, dealer said it was normal. What do you think??

Do a forum search for "Piston Slap" and you should find some information.

John

• 2 weeks later...

bigbill32, I have exactly the same problem. I thought it might be 'bad' gas clogging a fuel injector. Yesterday, I drove ~300 miles at 90 mph (don't tell) and this morning - no knock for the first time! I'll let you know if this continues.

• 2 weeks later...
My 2007 ES 350 has a slight engine knock (?) when cold, goes away in about 5 Min, dealer said it was normal. What do you think??

Bill,

You stole my thread! LOL. The reason I logged on today was to post/ask this very question. I just bought my ES UL Nav/ML last month (9/12/08) and I experience the very same thing. In fact, it's really disappointing. Same thing...5 minutes later after the car is warmed up it goes away.

My fear is when I take it to the dealer this Saturday for the 1,000 check when I'm only there for 10 minutes and they aren't keeping the car, they won't be able to reproduce the issue since I brought the car there and it's warm.

Why the hell would this be considered normal on a $50k car? I'll check into John's "Piston Slap" item but a car of this quality shouldn't have this and although I do 80-90 mph on the NJ Turnpike, I don't want to have to do that for 300 miles straight to fix the problem.

Without searching on the "Piston Slap" item, does anyone else have any recommendations or resolution from your dealer?

Thanks.

Please read the piston slap thread. The engine needs to expand to regular operating levels, until that happens the engine is in warm up mode, making the sound known as piston slap. The quality of the car has nothing to do with it. This is the same engine they put in Camry's, Highlanders, RXs, IS350s, and any other Toyota or Lexus branded vehicle that comes with the 3.5 engine. They all do the same thing. Any engine is prone to this, especially with the new materials being used for the different components of an engine. It is a great engine!

Probably cold start carbon deposit knock. Carbon builds up in the combustion chamber then when hot is soft enough not to knock when the piston contacts it. That is why the 300 mile high speed ride gets rid of it. Try a different blend of gas or long freeway drive. If you do a lot of city driving this will occur. Usually harmless as long as you do a freeway drive once in a while. I have 2 Lexus V6 engines and both have definite mechanical noise since new. I run Pennzoil Platinum oil in both and after 2 oil changes the mechanical noise is diminished in both engines. (one has 150,000 miles on it).

• 4 weeks later...

I just took a new 2008 350ES for the 1000 mile checkup yesterday and the knocking I hear every morning for 5-10 minutes is what the Lexus mechanic deems injector noise. I asked about the timing and valve adjustment and he assured me it's injector noise and it's perfectly nomal and nothing to worry about.

I've got the complaint in writing in case I need it someday................but reading this seems it seems pretty normal.

• 1 year later...

Please read the piston slap thread. The engine needs to expand to regular operating levels, until that happens the engine is in warm up mode, making the sound known as piston slap. The quality of the car has nothing to do with it. This is the same engine they put in Camry's, Highlanders, RXs, IS350s, and any other Toyota or Lexus branded vehicle that comes with the 3.5 engine. They all do the same thing. Any engine is prone to this, especially with the new materials being used for the different components of an engine. It is a great engine!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2008 and have been complaining about this problem every time I bring my car in for service. At my 40,000 mile service the dealer said they had a possible fix, which they will do next week. I believe it involves replacing a camshaft gear. I will report back when I have more information.

the ticking or engine noise is coming from the 3.5 litre motors are direct fuel injection system this is normal you'll hear this on any direct injected engines

• 1 month later...

I just picked up an '07 ES 350 and I too hear this noise, which is driving me crazy. It sounds like a muffled diesel engine, and sounds much louder inside the cabin than outside. Odd thing is that if I open the door while parked, I don't hear it at all. But with the transmission engaged and driving at low speeds, I hear it. I would love to hear any updates to anyone who's had this explored. I'll check out the piston slap and injector posts.