Door Protection

Alice

I've a new 2008 IS 250 (what a great car!!)

The purists will say those sleek body side panels are beautiful (they are) but with no side molding protection, they also offer inviting targets for careless people who park too close.

I've looked but have not found any color matched custom side moldings - either from Lexus or after market. Any suggestions?

I'm new to the Club Forum, so my apology if this topic is out there somewhere - I could not find anything.

Many thanks!

I agree but I think they look ugly. The 3rd time I drove my car it got 3 dings. I decided to buy ding insurance instead. I'm covered for 5 years with infinite number of dings, windshield and interior protection. I think it was about $600. I had the 3 dings repaired right away.

I am seriously considering a visit to a near by sign maker and asking for magnetic strips 3 or four inches wide to cover all four doors and in a matching color. At least to use when I anticipate a Valet parking or even when I park in a tight space sine these would be easy enough to put in place. I imagine they would hold up to wind and rain. Think i'mk nuts?

A more daring solution could be using 3M vinil repar tape, I have used it before on another car and really stands up to weather for a long time and would be practically invisible but only about 1.5 inches wide.

Am I nuts?

I am seriously considering a visit to a near by sign maker and asking for magnetic strips 3 or four inches wide to cover all four doors and in a matching color. At least to use when I anticipate a Valet parking or even when I park in a tight space sine these would be easy enough to put in place. I imagine they would hold up to wind and rain. Think i'mk nuts?

A more daring solution could be using 3M vinil repar tape, I have used it before on another car and really stands up to weather for a long time and would be practically invisible but only about 1.5 inches wide.

Am I nuts?

http://www.doordefender.com/GA_index.html?...CFQIyxwodZlG1EQ

Am I nuts?

absolutely

I'm REALLY particular about my car.

But yes, you're being nuts.

Dings nowadays (generally, I have one that is non-repairable) are so easily and cheaply fixed with PDR that as I see it you can have dings removed when they occur (and they will occur however careful you are whether you have mouldings or not) or you can drive the car around all the time and have it be ugly all the time by sticking mouldings on it that are going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Alice,

You might want to check other Lexus dealers in your area or state. I know at one point last year the Lexus dealer that sold me my car had side molding displayed in their parts store. I inquired on the price which was enough to turn me away. They came in various matching colors but were over $350.00 if I remember correctly without installation. The last couple of times I was in there I didn't see them displayed but I don't think it was because they were selling like hot cakes. B) So again, check with other dealers as someone has them. If you don't have any luck in your area call my dealership in Newport News, VA (Charles Barker Lexus) at (757) 234-6000. They may have them in stock or at least a good source for them. Good luck.

I'm REALLY particular about my car.

But yes, you're being nuts.

Dings nowadays (generally, I have one that is non-repairable) are so easily and cheaply fixed with PDR that as I see it you can have dings removed when they occur (and they will occur however careful you are whether you have mouldings or not) or you can drive the car around all the time and have it be ugly all the time by sticking mouldings on it that are going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Except for double-skinned wheel wells, which I found out after someone created a huge ding in my BMW. Thank goodness Lexus does not have this. I mean, it's fixable if it's double-skinned, but it requires drilling, and repainting the entire back panel of the car.

Actually, the IS does have double skinned wheel wells. I'm not sure about other Lexus models, but I have a guy that fixed a small ding on my well and had to drill the tiny hole in the flashing to insert the push rod to remove the ding. He did a great job, and the ding is completely gone, but we talked about it as he was doing it, and he did mention what a PIA BMW's are also.

Except for double-skinned wheel wells, which I found out after someone created a huge ding in my BMW. Thank goodness Lexus does not have this. I mean, it's fixable if it's double-skinned, but it requires drilling, and repainting the entire back panel of the car.

Lexus does have double skinned wheel wells, thats where that unrepairable ding I mentioned is.