Gas Octane

lovlex

Why not fill up your tank with both ... half 89 and half 93?!! You'll save some money that way. :)

You don't want to put in straight 89 though since with these high compression engines you could do some damage when/if the fuel pre-ignites.

:)

If you live in the Midwest, go higher, especially in the winter months. We get reformulated gas here that is a little off in the octane rating when it's actually put in your motor. The SC does have 2 knock sensors and they seem to keep a good eye on things and the ECU learns pretty fast about what it can and cannot do with timing and fuel control... But, if simply for the sake of keeping the power up, I'd personally go with a higher octane with a high compression motor like the 2JZ. Look at it this way: You cannot go wrong with 93.

If you live in the Midwest, go higher, especially in the winter months.  We get reformulated gas here that is a little off in the octane rating when it's actually put in your motor.  The SC does have 2 knock sensors and they seem to keep a good eye on things and the ECU learns pretty fast about what it can and cannot do with timing and fuel control...  But, if simply for the sake of keeping the power up, I'd personally go with a higher octane with a high compression motor like the 2JZ.  Look at it this way: You cannot go wrong with 93.

err make that a 1UZ motor. The SC300 has a 2JZ :D

I would say the 2JZ is also a High Compression Ratio Engine, don't you think?

Lovlex:

You have another option if you're interested in getting 87. Add a bottle Octane Boost--6 or 7 will work--to get the 93 level you need. Here's the catch, you'd have to add a bottle of Octane Boost every time you empty your tank. Since the cost of Octane Boost around $4-10 and the price of 87 grade fuel, you might end up paying the same amount as 93 grade fuel.

i have always used 93 for my 1993 sc400. the engin is still running quiet and strong at 112,379 miles. i occationally add a bottle of octane boost on top of the 93 gas in the winter for a little fun :D . also, its a good idea to add fuel injector cleaner every time u get ur oil chnaged.

Which injector cleaner?  I have used Chevron techron, but are there significant differences?

You can clean you injector cleaner anytime. It doesn't go in with your oil.

I've heard Mobil has detergents in its fuel. Same with Chevron. For some funny reason, Hess has really good fuel. My car feels a lot better, and runs faster <_<

how about 76 pro power? i like to keep my fuel consistent, and theres plenty of 76's around to easily do that.

Don't know about 76. Unfortunately I live on the East Coast, where 76 gas stations aren't available. Have you checked out their Website?

i use the stp fuel injector cleaner....and i know u dont have to put it in w/an oil change, but its a good idea to make it the time to do it so u dont forget and get it done on a reg basis. its not something u need to do all the time unless u burn vegetable oil :D