Sc400 For $4600 Worth It?

twong82

Hi,

I just signed up to check with the SC400 enthusiasts of whether a 1992 SC400 with 29,500 original miles is worth it for $4600. I would be the 2nd owner. The first owner has it since new and is 71 yrs old. It was rarely driven. The leather interior is in great condition for its age and does not have any tears and has minor wear. There is a dent (~4-6in. diameter) in the quarter panel near the rear bumper from someone hitting it when parked. The rear bumper has some scratches and stuff from being parked on the streets in the city. The car is gold color. The engine seems smooth. The sunroof works fine. The instrument gauges are ok. There is a slight crack/slit in the leather on the driver's side door panel above the wood trim. There are also some windshield scratches from wipers that were supposed to be replaced. The AC compressor was replaced 3 yrs ago. New battery and replaced a few belts. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

You've got to be kidding me..

For what was, a $50,000.00 plus car, with less than 30k miles on it, for under $5k !!!!!!!!!!!

What are you waiting for? :huh:

Being stored outside, you will probably want to have your 65k miles service done now, (belts, hoses etc).

After 16 years, anything made of rubber may have to be looked at.

Still a great car, and a great deal...

I just purchased the car today. The miles is correct. I will post pics of the dent and the car probably tom. I couldn't lower the price any more than $4600. They originally wanted 6K. There was another person willing to offer the same price but I was the first one to see it so she let me buy it. Thanks for all the help.

Only 29,500 miles, and there is some how that cosmetic damage, and parts replaced. I would double check the mileage is legit. My girlfriend has a 1999 RX300, never garaged, drives it everyday, and her leather is still flawless.

Don't get me wrong, that's a GREAT DEAL

The leather has some wear probably because she didn't clean/condition the leather since she is an older lady. She said she took it to the mechanic to check if anything needs to be replaced before she sold it. She replaced certain belts, wipers, fluids, etc. I will post pics later of the dent and maybe someone can tell me how much it would cost to fix it. Thanks!

Only 29,500 miles, and there is some how that cosmetic damage, and parts replaced. I would double check the mileage is legit. My girlfriend has a 1999 RX300, never garaged, drives it everyday, and her leather is still flawless.

Don't get me wrong, that's a GREAT DEAL

The leather has some wear probably because she didn't clean/condition the leather since she is an older lady. She said she took it to the mechanic to check if anything needs to be replaced before she sold it. She replaced certain belts, wipers, fluids, etc. I will post pics later of the dent and maybe someone can tell me how much it would cost to fix it. Thanks!

Yeah that will happen to leather with minor negligence. Maybe I'm a little paranoid because I've purchased a car with a rolled back odomoter(electric). Anyways, you can look at my other thread about Passenger Side Bodywork, Currently my step dad is in the process of fixing MAJOR damage on that panel...it's been completly free for me so far.

It is very hard to find low mile SC400's so if it checks out (get a service history from the owner's Lexus dealer or get a $120 certification check up)) you did well. The exterior damage is minor and doesn't appear to involve the structural soundness of the car. See what routine services were done and consider changing the oil (mobil 1 or amsoil 5W30), flushing the brake fluid and checking the brake pads and/or rotors. You might want to change the coolant (toyota red I believe) if it hasn't been done recently and begin to swap out the transmission fluid 2-4 qts at a time from the old T2 to newer T4 toyota ATF. If you live in a cold climate I'd switch the rear differential oil to Mobil 1 synthetic 75W90. I use NGK iridium spark plugs ($6-8ch/each) which should last 100,000mi. Check the tires for tire rot and you should be good to go. I've got 31,000mi on my 1994 and it is the best all around touring car I've driven including several BMWs, Mercedes and a new Porsche.