You Know That Wallet Key? Carry It.

SW03ES

Today I took the afternoon off to get my christmas shopping done. Found everything at one mall, got it all gift wrapped. They were out of something I wanted to get my fiance but they had it down the road at another mall. No bif deal it was 3:45 and the after work rush hadn't started. I pull into the garage, find a great safe end spot RIGHT UP FRONT, and pull right in. I'm the Christmas king! Walked in, bought the gift. The saleswoman asked if I wanted it gift wrapped for free. Since I was at that point completely out of cash I said why not! What can go wrong today? Walk back out to the car, unlock the doors and pop the trunk. Place all the packages in the trunk, close it. Walk around to the drivers door and put my hand on the handle, "beep" doors relock. If they're unlocked with the remote they'll re-lock in 30 seconds if nobody opens a door, and the trunk doesn't count. No problem, I'll unlock the doors again. No keys. Keys in the trunk. No, Lexus can't have a combination lock like Ford. I was locked out. No number for Lexus roadside, thats in the car, no wallet key, thats in the car too, and I wasn't about to let the mall security people have at my car with a slim jim. So I called my fiance and she had to come rescue me.

Carry the wallet key. Trust me.

memorize the number it is 1800-25 lexus in the states

1800-26 lexus in canada

but they still would have had to get a key made and shipped.

or paid for your taxi there and back to get the key

I had one delivered at 4am one night .

Luckly the only canadian key cutter was only 20 minutes away.

Lexus woke him up to make the key, he wasn;t very happy.

Ouch,

bethca, not sure how my wife did this, but must have been similiar as the doors locked as well with the keys in the car. Problem was, she had a 1 year old in the car as well so the firefighters came because the baby was crying and she panicked. Yup, good to carry the spare (even though mines won't start the car).

Wallet keys have no chip which is why tehy can only get you in the car but not start it.

Lexus roadside assistance is i think 7 years in canada then $70 per year afterwards ,worth every cent.

I had tehm pay to get my key cut and delivered. as well as a flatbed to tow my car home ( it was a long weekend and the dealer was closed ,so tehy needed a safe place to keep the vehicle and towed it to my house instead of the dealer only)

Plus gas and other boosts over the years.

The wallet key in the '02-'04's doesn't have an activating chip, but the wallet keyholder does. To use this key you put it in the ignition and then turn it to start while holding the keyholder close to the ignition switch.

I locked myself out as well and that was no fun. I had my purse in the car so even if i had my wallet key that would have never helped me. I had my inhaler in my purse and i thought oh man if i have an asthma attack now i am done for. We was at my mothers house which was good in a way, but still i started panicking when i thought about having an attack and not being able to get my inhaler.

Anyone know what a wallet key would cost to be made for a 93 ES? I know in the past I've had a master key without the remote made and it cost somewhere in the ballpark of $70 :pirate: Me nor my family has yet to buy a Lexus that came with its' full set of keys; we're lucky to have the two remote keys for the cars we have now, but my first ES only had one remote key and one worthless valet key (sometimes it'd work the trunk, but more often wouldn't)

• 1 month later...

Just in case you dont know, the doors lock automatically even though a back door is opened too, not just the trunk. i tend to open the front door to prevent it from locking on me. this feature sux to be honest. i prefer having complete control of when the alarm arms and disarms.

Just in case you dont know, the doors lock automatically even though a back door is opened too, not just the trunk. i tend to open the front door to prevent it from locking on me. this feature sux to be honest. i prefer having complete control of when the alarm arms and disarms.

Nahh, this shouldn't happen. The sensors on your rear doors are probably frozen which is telling the car that it is still closed up. Does the door ajar light come on when you open the rear door? If it does, then you've probably got an elecrical glitch somewhere, but if it doesn't look here...I had to clean my sensors on my back doors a while back. It takes all of 5 minutes and a few shots of WD40: How to free the rear door sensors. Good luck!

:cheers:

Nahh, this shouldn't happen. The sensors on your rear doors are probably frozen which is telling the car that it is still closed up. Does the door ajar light come on when you open the rear door? If it does, then you've probably got an elecrical glitch somewhere, but if it doesn't look here...I had to clean my sensors on my back doors a while back. It takes all of 5 minutes and a few shots of WD40: How to free the rear door sensors. Good luck!

The other day when i unlocked my car and then i opened the driver door so that it wouldn't lock back up on me and it still locked back up (thank god i left it open cause i put the keys on the seat). Do you think that it is the same thing as the back doors or is it something else?

Hmm, if the light on the cluster came on and the doors still locked back, I'd bet that their is a problem elsewhere. You sure that the light came on when you had the door open??? This is kinda weird <_< ! Try it again and let us know how it turns out.

:cheers:

Yeah i am sure the light was on cause when i got in the car i looked at the cluster before i shut the door. I will go out and try it again and see if it locks back up and if the light comes on or not. I did notice today when i opened it (i got in the car without waiting) it didn't lock back up.

edit:

Ok here is what it does. I unlocked the car then i opened the door and it locked back up (the light is on) then i unlocked them shut the door then relocked them waited a sec. unlocked them got in the car and i acted as though i was going to start it and it did not lock back up.