Steering Click/crunch? 2003 Es300 - What's With That?

ricehead

Just recently started to happen over last 1-2 months or so. When I turn the steering wheel there is a sensation of a clicking/crunching noise that's happening within the steering system. It doesn't actually make any noise, I can just feel the sensation of it through my hands when turning the wheel.

It happens mostly at low speeds, but maybe that's the only time you really turn the wheel enough to notice? I can make it happen while the car is sitting in park, or while driving around town.

It's mostly just an annoyance, but I'm also assuming that something is about to fail? There is no hesitation in the steering so I think the power steering pump/belt are fine.

Any thoughts??

<_<

Take it to your dealer. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this clunk.

Off hand I don't know the exact TSB number, but if you do a search on steering clunk, I am sure you will find the threads that discuss this.

steviej

If you go to Harb Chambers Lexus, ask for Roni Travers.

If you go to Lexus of Watertown, ask for Brandi Lawler.

Usually when you get this condition it's strut plate bearings. On top of your front shocks, there's a flat bearing that allows you to turn the wheels. When they wear out, you get a clicking, grumble that you can feel in the wheel and hear.

Pop the hood, have someone sit in the car (with it running) and hold your hand on the top of the strut mount while they turn the wheel. You'll be able to feel it and hear it.

Also, raise the front end so the wheels are off the ground and do it again. If they're smooth, you know it's them.

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...

The TSB # ST001-05 covers this, they have designed a new intermediate steering shaft. Unfortunatly the will repair under warrenty for 48 months or 50K miles from date of entering service. It should't be dangerous to drive, but sounds a little expensive to replace (knowing Lexus prices).

• 2 months later...
how serious a problem is this and can it be dangerous to drive with this problem. What is the cost of repair?

I have 2005 es330, 34422 miles, just started exhibiting this low speed turning clunk problem. Just out of 4 year warranty. I am a new member and don't see any replies to this thread. How dangerous is this and what is the approximate repair cost? Thanks for any reponse.

how serious a problem is this and can it be dangerous to drive with this problem. What is the cost of repair?

I have 2005 es330, 34422 miles, just started exhibiting this low speed turning clunk problem. Just out of 4 year warranty. I am a new member and don't see any replies to this thread. How dangerous is this and what is the approximate repair cost? Thanks for any reponse.

No idea how expensive it would be...expensive.

I would take it in right now and try and get them to cover it under warranty, if you stay firm about it, I bet they will since your car is so low mileage and just out of the warranty based on time.

• 3 weeks later...

No idea how expensive it would be...expensive.

I would take it in right now and try and get them to cover it under warranty, if you stay firm about it, I bet they will since your car is so low mileage and just out of the warranty based on time.

Thankyou so much for your advice. I took the car in for the 35,000 mile service and asked them to verify the steering clunk symptoms. They kept the vehicle for 3 hours and called to say it was ready. When I returned to the dealer I was amazed they had serviced the vehicle and agreed there was a problem with the steering " steering intermediate shaft noisy at U-joints". They had already replaced the "intermediate steering shaft assembly" under the warranty even though I was over the time limit by 2- 3 months. I am still in shock.

I would definitely recommend South Bay Lexus, Torrance, California

Thanks again for your excellent advice.