New Brakes

scrappyslexus

I am ready for breaks on my 2000 lx 470 with 79,800 miles. I am going to try my 3rd lexus dealer with this job. The other two lexus dealers had poor workmanship(60k service AHC system,Timing Belt) What should it cost? The dealer is telling me that if their is no play in the front end the bearings do not have to be done. Is this the case? Would anyone trust a local non lexus shop with this work? All my major problems with this vehicle have come from lexus dealership errors. I am hoping to add a new GX470 as a second car but have been trying to find a decent lexus dealearship.

• 2 weeks later...
I am ready for breaks on my 2000 lx 470 with 79,800 miles. I am going to try my 3rd lexus dealer with this job. The other two lexus dealers had poor workmanship(60k service AHC system,Timing Belt) What should it cost? The dealer is telling me that if their is no play in the front end the bearings do not have to be done. Is this the case? Would anyone trust a local non lexus shop with this work? All my major problems with this vehicle have come from lexus dealership errors. I am hoping to add a new GX470 as a second car but have been trying to find a decent lexus dealearship.

You need to torque the front bearings precisely and in an oddball way (torque inner locknut, then loosen and retorque to a different value, then torque outer locknut. I wouldn't trust a non-dealership. Is there a toyota dealer near you that is willing to service a lexus?

By brakes needing to be done, what do you mean by that? Are your rotors worn too thin, or do you just need new pads? The amount of work to replace the front rotors is nearly the same as to repack the front wheel bearings since you have to remove the entire front hub assembly (inner bearing is BEHIND the hub). The only extra work to replace the rotors when doing a front bearing repack is to remove the 6 bolts attaching the rotor to the hub! So if you have to replace front rotors, get it done at one of the 30K service intervals (like 60K or 90K) since the front bearings are supposed to be repacked then.

You need to torque the front bearings precisely and in an oddball way (torque inner locknut, then loosen and retorque to a different value, then torque outer locknut. I wouldn't trust a non-dealership. Is there a toyota dealer near you that is willing to service a lexus?

By brakes needing to be done, what do you mean by that? Are your rotors worn too thin, or do you just need new pads? The amount of work to replace the front rotors is nearly the same as to repack the front wheel bearings since you have to remove the entire front hub assembly (inner bearing is BEHIND the hub). The only extra work to replace the rotors when doing a front bearing repack is to remove the 6 bolts attaching the rotor to the hub! So if you have to replace front rotors, get it done at one of the 30K service intervals (like 60K or 90K) since the front bearings are supposed to be repacked then.

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. The NEW dealer I am Trying called me and told me that the front bearings were shot, ball bearing actually fell out when they took the front rotors off. They told me they suspected the bearings having to be done because their was significant play in the front tires. The dealer got Lexus to help with all the parts associated with the front bearing failure and damage. I had to pay for labor. The cost to me for new pads and bearing work was $1350 tax included. The breaks alone were qouted at around $760. Local toyota dealer was not confident in doing the job. My ORIGINAL OLD Lexus Dealership shop advisor has told me that the bearings were fine at 30k and 60k. My personal opinion is that they did not do half the things they said they did in all the service trips to the shop. Its a shame that National Lexus is not able to hold the dealerships accountable for poor workmanship. Anyway, I feel confident enough with this new dealership that I am going ahead with a purchase of a new GX470. If I run into shop problems it will probably be my last Lexus/Toyota product.

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. The NEW dealer I am Trying called me and told me that the front bearings were shot, ball bearing actually fell out when they took the front rotors off. They told me they suspected the bearings having to be done because their was significant play in the front tires. The dealer got Lexus to help with all the parts associated with the front bearing failure and damage. I had to pay for labor. The cost to me for new pads and bearing work was $1350 tax included. The breaks alone were qouted at around $760. Local toyota dealer was not confident in doing the job. My ORIGINAL OLD Lexus Dealership shop advisor has told me that the bearings were fine at 30k and 60k. My personal opinion is that they did not do half the things they said they did in all the service trips to the shop. Its a shame that National Lexus is not able to hold the dealerships accountable for poor workmanship. Anyway, I feel confident enough with this new dealership that I am going ahead with a purchase of a new GX470. If I run into shop problems it will probably be my last Lexus/Toyota product.

A tad high, but I think it's not unreasonable. I think Toyota charges $300/front rotor as list, then maybe $100 for the pads, $300 for labor. The front bearings probably run $75/ea x 4=$300, plus maybe $100 more labor for the bearings since you have to hammer in the new bearing races into the hub (a little more work than just regreasing the bearing). My guess is that your previous dealer never regreased the bearings since I've done my 4runner bearings several times (same construction/tools as the LX front end, just a little smaller), and they still felt tight at 40k mi, grease still looked new. So far, I have 210K mi on the original bearings, so with proper maintenance, they will last.

The GX doesn't have the same construction as the LX. Toyota used the same front end design (inner and outer bearings) for decades until the GX. Now, the GX/4runner use a pressed in sealed bearing whereby you don't have to repack the bearing every 30K mi. Instead, you have to replace the entire bearing and the plate it's pressed into after maybe 90K mi (sealed bearings all loosen and develop play eventually). So Toyota has reduced the short term maintenance costs at the expense of higher long term maintenance costs for those who hold on to their vehicles for many years. Their next generation of vehicles starting w/ the Crown last year integrates many ECU's into only like 4 black boxes, so if one ECU goes bad, one will have to shell out $$$$$ to replace the entire black box!