Engine Sputtering

94LS400LA

For the last two months, I have had five local mechanics try to resolve the problem, and the New Orleans Lexus Dealership left my car in parking lot during Gustav evacuations and told me they weren't going to try and fix because it might be too costly for them (those *BLEEP*s!).

Issue is that my '94 LS 400 w/ 220K miles starts sputtering when you give the engine gas (usually around 1800RPMs, but anytime you floor it too much). Once this occurs, the "Check engine" light comes on. I have to let off the gas for 2 seconds and then it stops the sputtering. I can only ease it up to speed. This is very problematic when going from 0 to 60 in merging traffic.

We have replaced the computer and the oxygen sensor. It is not the fuel filter. I have seen several other messages on this type of problem; however, no solutions. Ay out there?

ya i have one major question.........WHAT CODE ARE U GETTING?????????????? SHEEESH ill bet its the knock sensor code...thats if i had to take a guess, also the ecu is the last thing u replace not the first

Sounds like a bad plug wire, or a bad plug connector, or a connector full of water or crap. Pull the covers, have a look. If people wash these engines the water migrates down the plug connectors and shorts out over the plug itself.

Simple stuff first for a problem like that.

I recently got my 93 LS w/ 178k and had a VERY similar problem :o . when i leaned into the throttle a bit it would sputter and check engine light would breifly come on. I took it to a dealer and had them do routine mantinance. after they replaced the plugs and wires no more problem. the first thing you should do is check all your plugs and wires and replace them. that made all the diffrance in my car. good luck. :D