1992 Ls400

foxfire

so i just finished an alternator and power steering pump changeout, coolant and oil change, serpentine belt and general engine check/clean. Put everything back and am getting a range of rpm's from about 1000 to 500, very predictable...up and down with a little engine roughness. (tach doesnt work so this is a guess). Prior to working on it I blew it off (gently) to get the grease off. No codes, changeout went good, still no codes so i am currently stumped. The only thing i may have screwed up was reconnecting the two small hoses from the PS pump back to the intake and engine but I reversed to check and no diff.

All I have learned about the above work I learned from this forum so thanks, also searched for this issue but cant find anything. LS400 is a 92, has 127K. Thanks for any help, this is a great forum.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check your connections, especially the ISC hose, TB connections, vacuum hose to the pressure regulator, egr vacuum modulator, etc. Also check for cracked hoses. Easy to damage old hoses when removing and reconnecting.