Sc400 Stock Radio Problems

Cwallbball10

I'm having problems with my 1992 SC400 stock radio. When I bought the car, the radio wasn't working. The owner had no idea what had caused this, but I soon found out. The fuse on the kick panel (Inside the car) was missing. The radio fuse under the hood was missing as well. I then tried to replace with the correct fuses, but the fuse would IMMEDIATLY blow...everytime. I looked through the threads for a while, and didn't find anyone who had the same problems. What can I do? The stock unit is in GREAT condition, and so is the CD changer, and the Amp has never been wet. The car has been garaged it's whole life. Someone enlighten me.

• 2 months later...

I'VE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM BUT MINE STOPPED WORKING ALL OF SUDDEN WHEN I WAS AT THE CAR WASH SO I SUSPECT IT MAY HAVE GOTTEN SOME WATER. DUE TO WHERE IT LOCATED AND I RECENTLY GOT HIT ON THE SIDE QUARTER REAR PANEL WHERE THE CD PLAYER IS LOCATED, SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW.

JIMMYSLEX1993

Blow fuse instantly = a "hot" wire is going to ground somewhere in the system and current in excess of the fuse rating is passing in the circuit.

I've hardly ever heard of problems with the radio assembly but amp problems are common in many cars. Replace the amp and see what happends. The CD Changer is probably not at fault.

Post a want AD on this and other lexus forums and I am sure you will find a stock amp for under $50. Ebay is a rip off when it comes to Lexus parts.

I had the fuse under the hood that would blow every time I replaced it, the problem was the amp. I had the Nak amp and had to replace it. I got an amp from R&J distributors http://www.randjdistributing.com it was more than $50.00 though. After replacing the amp everything was fine.

If you have the 12 CD changer, it will start to skip sooner or later, you might consider replacing that as well, saving yourself the grief later.

Michael

• 2 years later...

Very likely the amp. Try unplugging the CD changer completely from the amp to verify. If system works, it is the CD changer. If the fuse still blows, then unplug amp. I'm guessing the AMP is fried.

BTW, I have a factory new Nakamichi amp, never used, in factory box and wrapping for sale, but it is more than $50 :)

• 6 months later...

I have a 1995 Lexus SC400 coupe with only 80,000 original miles. Each time I put a fuse in the under the hood fuse box, the fuse blows. I've gone through 20-30 fuses at this time. My shop disconnected everything on the line (Amp, speakers and radio) and found that fuses are still blowing. Based on my shop, they have confirmed that the wiring issue is contained in the front of the vehicle and not the back. Any ideas on what is blowing the fuses?

• 1 year later...

my 95 sc300 does the same thing with the nobe all the way up i can hardly hear any music it worked fine until the other day i checked out the truck as you did the same but my problem doeswnt seem to go away can anyone hlep me out here?

thanks

The early SC's are notorious for failing Amps, It is the location and moisture that cause the failures, A replacement is in order. And waterproofing ;) If you find that you need an amp...PM me and I'll see if I have any left.

• 8 years later...

I have a 1992 Lexus SC 400 just put in brand new aftermarket radio and have this terrible hiss sound every time the alternator revs with the engine it creates a loud or hiss I expect it’s the amp I don’t really know any information would be helpful thank you

• 8 months later...