Just Bought A 1998 W/23k! Key Will Not Open/lock Doors.

jjsoni1

Hi all. I have been a Lexus enthusiast for about 10 yrs now, and have owned 5-6 of these vehicles (gs, es, sc, rx). This is my first LS, and I think I'm in love again! The car was owned by a retired gentlemen who recently passed away, and used the vehicle only to go to the market, store, etc. He was the original owner. Car is in awesome condition, just needs a good clay and wax, and some paintless ding removal. For some reason the vehicle will not lock/unlock with the factory keys. I know the batteries are good, as one of the keys is brand new. Also, the alarm still works, as if the doors are opened without using key, alarm will sound, and also security light on dash goes on when I lock the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks.

The wireless door lock function can be turned on or off by a repair shop that has a scan tool and the appropriate program card -- see the attachment which explains the customizable settings for your car.

In case your keys need to be reprogramed -- doubtful since they apparently can be used to operate your car -- also attached are the key programming instructions, supplied by Blake918 who recently acquired a 99 LS.

CBES.pdf

1998_LS400_key_programming.pdf

The wireless door lock function can be turned on or off by a repair shop that has a scan tool and the appropriate program card -- see the attachment which explains the customizable settings for your car.

In case your keys need to be reprogramed -- doubtful since they apparently can be used to operate your car -- also attached are the key programming instructions, supplied by Blake918 who recently acquired a 99 LS.

Thanks Jim. As much as I dread going to the dealer for anything, it looks like I will have to bite the bullet on this one. Thanks for your reply and help, as it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jim. As much as I dread going to the dealer for anything, it looks like I will have to bite the bullet on this one.
I'd try a procedure or two from the PDF Jim posted before taking it in to the dealer; perhaps reprogramming the remote will do the trick (provided that the wireless system isn't shutdown via CBES). Maybe the remote is bad? I just replaced my remote key since the buttons didn't always work right. The new key works perfectly.

Congrats on your new car! B) Wow, 23k miles, that's unbelievable! What color is it?

:cheers:

Thanks Jim. As much as I dread going to the dealer for anything, it looks like I will have to bite the bullet on this one.
I'd try a procedure or two from the PDF Jim posted before taking it in to the dealer; perhaps reprogramming the remote will do the trick (provided that the wireless system isn't shutdown via CBES). Maybe the remote is bad? I just replaced my remote key since the buttons didn't always work right. The new key works perfectly.

Congrats on your new car! B) Wow, 23k miles, that's unbelievable! What color is it?

:cheers:

Thanks Blake! It is the two tone pearl white. I have never owned a white car before, and have always admired the white 2 tone Lexus's, back to the 93 GS300's. I will try to post pics. soon. I appreciate your help, and look forward to chatting with all on the message board. :D

Thanks for the info - will this process work with 97 models - my key is not integrated with the key fob. Anyone have the instructions for a 97 LS400?