Accident :(

Lexus876

Here's the story : So I had just merged on the interstate into slow moving traffic, and then the car infront of me suddenly stops due to traffic infront of him. I managed to brake in time, but the guy behind me didn't and hit my car. The damage doesn't look bad, but upon closer inspection it really is apparently from what my dad said. All this only a few days after I partially knocked off my front bumper :( Why me? Well insurance people said they would only replace the rear end since that was the only part damaged by the accident, and the other part (front bumper) was my own fault. Getting a quote from the body shop tomorrow, so will update as to the cost. Here are some pics of the damage. The car that hit me was a Ford Van, the kind that transports supplies (work van). Of course he got the ticket for not paying attention, and surprise he was on his cellphone when it happened!

In picture 25, forgot to remove the carpet cover, the bottom of the trunk near the bumper is bent, thats why the carpet is pushed back. Dunno if you can see it but the trunk lining is pushed away from the bumper in picture 31!

Picture028.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Some sort of safety bar is bent?

Picture035.jpg

Picture031.jpg

This picture is where the trunk lining that meets the top of the bumper is pushed away from the bumper a little bit.

Picture030.jpg

Well insurance people said they would only replace the rear end since that was the only part damaged by the accident, and the other part (front bumper) was my own fault.

Maybe I am missing something--but if the front bumper was damaged because you hit the car in front of you as a result of this guy hitting you from the back, then it should be covered.

Well insurance people said they would only replace the rear end since that was the only part damaged by the accident, and the other part (front bumper) was my own fault.

Maybe I am missing something--but if the front bumper was damaged because you hit the car in front of you as a result of this guy hitting you from the back, then it should be covered.

Yeah, you're missing Lexus876's other thread about how he pulled the driver's side of the front bumper off his car while backing out of his driveway :( . It wasn't damaged in this most recent accident.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=51351

Lexus876: sorry to hear about this new accident. At least it wasn't your fault and insurance is covering the repairs. Maybe you should stop having birthdays! I did about ten years ago! :P

Ok came back from the body shop, where my car is now. Out of the three I went to, I chose the one recommended by the dealer because of paint match and repair quality. The repair estimate from this shop was $3,273.63. Turns out the metal on the bottom of the trunk was bent as a result of the collision, as well as well as a few other things, slight dent on the trunk lid near the emblem, frame rail also damaged upon further inspection. And something about the rear body panel, which I didn't understand. Estimate of repair length :1.5-2 weeks. Supposedly the best body shop for a Lexus, so we'll see.

Sad thing is rental car company won't rent the car out to me because of my age 18...... I understand, but hey having to drive a Ford F-250 V8 Superdiesel isn't that bad. That's my dad's car , he took the rental car since we reached an agreement with them that way. Imagine the looks on the road when they see a young person driving such a big car ;)

Ok came back from the body shop, where my car is now. Out of the three I went to, I chose the one recommended by the dealer because of paint match and repair quality. The repair estimate from this shop was $3,273.63. Turns out the metal on the bottom of the trunk was bent as a result of the collision, as well as well as a few other things, slight dent on the trunk lid near the emblem, frame rail also damaged upon further inspection. And something about the rear body panel, which I didn't understand. Estimate of repair length :1.5-2 weeks. Supposedly the best body shop for a Lexus, so we'll see.

Sad thing is rental car company won't rent the car out to me because of my age 18...... I understand, but hey having to drive a Ford F-250 V8 Superdiesel isn't that bad. That's my dad's car , he took the rental car since we reached an agreement with them that way. Imagine the looks on the road when they see a young person driving such a big car ;)

I have been watching this thread since it was started...that estimate is about what I was expecting. It is good to hear you choose body shops carefully. In an accident like that one, there is almost always hidden damage we can't see from the pictures. Sounds like your car will be repaired well and back on the road soon.

That estimate sounds about right. Did you try to negotiate w/them about paying in cash? Sometimes they can give you a break and fix the front end at no charged when paid in cash. If you do the front at the same time, you can save the paint matching costs because the rear paint is the same as the front.

About the rear panel (aka quarter panel), the paint job is going to be extensive work. After fixing the part under the rear lights, it must be painted from the rear up to the sunroof. If you just slap the paint below the rear lights, the color will not match the rest of the panel. One way to lessen the color difference is employing a color/paint blending process, which paint from the rear up to the sunroof while lightening the color as painting forward. Make sure the insurance is paying for the blending. Sometimes insurance will rid people off and you stuck with that ugly color match. There is just no way of having perfect color match, so blending is necessary. However, don't expect a good color match between the bumper and the metal parts. It's always hard to match.

You wouldn't get any strange looks around these parts for driving a big truck like that at your age. Everybody and their dog drives a big honkin' truck here...heheh Heck, the gf of a friend of mine who is about 5'-2" and about 90 lbs soaking wet drives one! She needs a ladder to get into the thing! LOL :P

Good luck with the repairs!

That estimate sounds about right. Did you try to negotiate w/them about paying in cash? Sometimes they can give you a break and fix the front end at no charged when paid in cash. If you do the front at the same time, you can save the paint matching costs because the rear paint is the same as the front.

About the rear panel (aka quarter panel), the paint job is going to be extensive work. After fixing the part under the rear lights, it must be painted from the rear up to the sunroof. If you just slap the paint below the rear lights, the color will not match the rest of the panel. One way to lessen the color difference is employing a color/paint blending process, which paint from the rear up to the sunroof while lightening the color as painting forward. Make sure the insurance is paying for the blending. Sometimes insurance will rid people off and you stuck with that ugly color match. There is just no way of having perfect color match, so blending is necessary. However, don't expect a good color match between the bumper and the metal parts. It's always hard to match.

I made sure about that involving the paint match, besides the body shop is rated the best for color matching(I did my research online and from what the dealership said). They said my car's paint looks awesome even after 10 years :) And umm as to why I can't repair my front bumper right now, I also bought a laptop recently (Asus Lamborghini VX3-A1 in yellow with a real Lamborghini emblem meant for a car on the front of the laptop) before all this mess happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I made sure about that involving the paint match, besides the body shop is rated the best for color matching(I did my research online and from what the dealership said). They said my car's paint looks awesome even after 10 years :) And umm as to why I can't repair my front bumper right now, I also bought a laptop recently (Asus Lamborghini VX3-A1 in yellow with a real Lamborghini emblem meant for a car on the front of the laptop) before all this mess happened.

Ok I finally got my car back! It looks awesome :) The paint match is awesome, not noticable at all really. Now on to getting the front bumper fixed! Of course driving it today made me realize how powerful and fast my car is thanks to driving a sluggish F250 Superdiesel for a week and a half.

• 2 weeks later...
r u 17 years old? i would die if my car had a hit like that

Well actually 18. It really isn't that bad considering he could have plowed into my car at 40 mph, which would have totaled it probably. I am getting a new Lexus probably in a year to reward myself for dealing with school. Now the decision is Lexus GS450h or RX hybrid :) Leaning towards the GS450h because it looks awesome! I'm saving my dream car (BMW M5) for when I get a real job.