Questions About Service Interval

I'm due for a 30K and the dealer told me that as part of that service they change the differential oil, coolant, and "service the transmission". I was comparing notes with Lexus's maintenance schedule and have a few questions I'd like the community's wisdom on:

1. The manual mentions that coolant should be replaced at 100K, with inspections in between. Based on what I've always known about cars, that seems long. Is that really correct? What are others out there doing?
  2. There is no mention in the manual at all about replacing the differential fluid on the GS - only to inspect it every 15K miles. There is, however, explicit mention of replacing differential fluid on the ES and IS every 60K miles. So, in normal conditions, does the GS never require a diff fluid change? Though I don't think it needs to be done at 30K (like the dealer says), I would imagine that sometime sooner than "never" would be required, no?
  3. Similarly, there is no mention of replacing the transmission fluid on the GS. It says that it should be inspected every 30K miles and explicitely says that it should be replaced in the ES and LS every 60K miles, but no guidelines for the GS. What gives? Should I do this too (since the dealer includes it in their 30K), or wait for 60K (which is what I would have conventionally expected).

Oh yes, and if anyone knows any good sources for Lexus parts that would do better than the stealership, I'd greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Yash.

I'm due for a 30K and the dealer told me that as part of that service they change the differential oil, coolant, and "service the transmission". I was comparing notes with Lexus's maintenance schedule and have a few questions I'd like the community's wisdom on:
  1. The manual mentions that coolant should be replaced at 100K, with inspections in between. Based on what I've always known about cars, that seems long. Is that really correct? What are others out there doing?
  2. There is no mention in the manual at all about replacing the differential fluid on the GS - only to inspect it every 15K miles. There is, however, explicit mention of replacing differential fluid on the ES and IS every 60K miles. So, in normal conditions, does the GS never require a diff fluid change? Though I don't think it needs to be done at 30K (like the dealer says), I would imagine that sometime sooner than "never" would be required, no?
  3. Similarly, there is no mention of replacing the transmission fluid on the GS. It says that it should be inspected every 30K miles and explicitely says that it should be replaced in the ES and LS every 60K miles, but no guidelines for the GS. What gives? Should I do this too (since the dealer includes it in their 30K), or wait for 60K (which is what I would have conventionally expected).

Oh yes, and if anyone knows any good sources for Lexus parts that would do better than the stealership, I'd greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Yash.

According to my dealership, Herb Chambers Lexus in Sharon, MA, there is no service on the tranny at 30k. The 2006 has a sealed unit so they do not even do a simple drain and fill. Call another dealership and ask them what they do on their 30k. The person you spoke to may have been thinking a second generation GS in which case a tranny service would be in order. The tranny stuff they quoted is not even listed in the maintenance schedule except for "inspect" the diff fluid. I will most likely have it checked/replaced at 60k. I haven't much experience with these new sealed units that I can't even check the level on. I do feel your concerns. Like I said, call another dealer and see what they do.

The coolant in the 2006 is supposedly the Super Long Life stuff and good till 100k. I don't know if I buy it. In my 2002 ES I had the Long Life Coolant that was good for 60k. My service manager didn't buy it either and felt comfortable changing it out at 30k. At my 60k service the tech said it didn't need to be done because it looked and tested perfect. I had it done anyway. At 90k they had to change it when they drained it to do the TB and WP. So in regards to the Super Long Life Coolant, I will most likely have it changed out at 60k.

here are some good websites for lexus parts that I have used in the past.

www.sewellpartsonline.com (CL members get a discount if you use the special code which can be found on this website.)

www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213808

www.irontoad.com

steviej

According to my dealership, Herb Chambers Lexus in Sharon, MA, there is no service on the tranny at 30k. The 2006 has a sealed unit so they do not even do a simple drain and fill. Call another dealership and ask them what they do on their 30k. The person you spoke to may have been thinking a second generation GS in which case a tranny service would be in order. The tranny stuff they quoted is not even listed in the maintenance schedule except for "inspect" the diff fluid. I will most likely have it checked/replaced at 60k. I haven't much experience with these new sealed units that I can't even check the level on. I do feel your concerns. Like I said, call another dealer and see what they do.

The coolant in the 2006 is supposedly the Super Long Life stuff and good till 100k. I don't know if I buy it. In my 2002 ES I had the Long Life Coolant that was good for 60k. My service manager didn't buy it either and felt comfortable changing it out at 30k. At my 60k service the tech said it didn't need to be done because it looked and tested perfect. I had it done anyway. At 90k they had to change it when they drained it to do the TB and WP. So in regards to the Super Long Life Coolant, I will most likely have it changed out at 60k.

here are some good websites for lexus parts that I have used in the past.

www.sewellpartsonline.com (CL members get a discount if you use the special code which can be found on this website.)

www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213808

www.irontoad.com

steviej

Thanks for the detailed response, Stevie - much appreciated. I'll check out the links you sent for parts.

I called another dealer in the northwest chicago suburbs and got a very different answer. They charge $50 less (said it'd be $594), and said that they change oil, filters (oil, cabin, and air), brake fluid, and rotate tires. Oh yes, they also give it a "good once over". To be honest, $600 seems like a lot for an oil change, brake flush, and tire rotation. I did ask about the differential oil and he said that they don't do that - they typically don't mess with differential or transmission fluid until 60K miles. He also said the same thing you did about the coolant - it's not needed until near 90K because it's the "long life" coolant.

So, I think I'll go ahead and order Toyota oil (or maybe Mobil1?), three filters (oil, air, cabin), and brake fluid. It's supposed to be gorgeous in Chicago this weekend so it's perfect weather to get her (the car, that is ;) ) up on the ramp.