30k Service, Is It Really Needed?

My 2007 RX is due for the 30k mile service. I called Lexus and they're charging $820 for the service. I also checked with Toyota and they're substantially less at $420. However, I've heard from several people that you don't really need to do the 30k service as long as you routinely change your oil. Are there certain items from the 30k service list that I should get and maybe just select the ones I want/need? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure they would replace the air filter and cabin filter, which you could do yourself. On my wife's ES300, part of the 30,000 service was to change the transmission fluid (dealer recommended every 15,000). On her care there were two drain plugs. I have the 2008 RX-350, and feel it would be just as easy to get at the drain plugs. If you can do it yourself, it is cheap insurance to change the fluids in the transmission. The rest is "check-this" and "check-that".

I'm sure they would replace the air filter and cabin filter, which you could do yourself. On my wife's ES300, part of the 30,000 service was to change the transmission fluid (dealer recommended every 15,000). On her care there were two drain plugs. I have the 2008 RX-350, and feel it would be just as easy to get at the drain plugs. If you can do it yourself, it is cheap insurance to change the fluids in the transmission. The rest is "check-this" and "check-that".

And don't forget the better quality coffee, superior ambiance in the waiting area and the outstanding wash/detail job - gotta be worth ~$400, right? B)

I had trouble getting the glove box lowered so I could get at the cabin filter. Two large screwdrivers, a lot of prying and snapping/popping. I'm sure I almost broke something. Is there a special tool?

And then there's the Toyota service guy that presented me with a plugged-up cabin filter that must have come from an old Highlander, upon which he had deposited ground-up leaves. All the more incentive for me to figure out an easy way to get the glove box lowered and do it myself.

Don't forget the Lexus Brand bottled water.

Look in the owners manual under Air Conditioner Filter. On the 2008, there are two "pins" to unscrew on the inside of the glovebox (left & right). The glove box door should then swing down, and the filter housing in front of you. I replaced a filter on my daughters Jetta after about 4 years, and I think a mouse was living in there from all the junk packed in the housing.

The 08 RX350 is supposed to have synthetic transmission fluid that is good for 100K miles. That is what the service manager at my Lexus dealer said.

It would be nice if the synthetic/100K fluid could be retrofitted to earlier models with a simple drain and fill. You'd have to ask.

Its called factory scheduled maintenance for a reason. Personally I don't skip services on my $45,000 car, maybe thats why it still runs so well after 120k miles.

You dont have to do it at the dealer ($820 is nuts for the 30k, even from a Lexus dealer), but you should have everything performed thats in the maintenance schedule that came with your car, or do it yourself and keep the reciepts.

A properly executed service record will pay for itself should you ever have a warranty issue and definately at resale time. If you maintain these cars properly they will remain great cars for hundreds of thousands of miles. Why skimp?

Look in the owners manual under Air Conditioner Filter. On the 2008, there are two "pins" to unscrew on the inside of the glovebox (left & right). The glove box door should then swing down.

Yes, the Lexus water - I like to flaunt that on occasion (free refills at home).

OK, I finally got out to look at the glove box. The drawing in the manual for unhooking the glove box is unclear. The thumbscrew won't budge. Or pull inwards, for that matter. What's the trick?

Oh, and when we get home (on extended vacation in Canada) I'm going to have a nice chat with the service manager at that unnamed Toyota dealership in Grapevine, TX, the one that presented me with the crap-filled filter: One thumb screw / stop is totally missing! The jerks must have broken it!

Look in the owners manual under Air Conditioner Filter. On the 2008, there are two "pins" to unscrew on the inside of the glovebox (left & right). The glove box door should then swing down.

Yes, the Lexus water - I like to flaunt that on occasion (free refills at home).

OK, I finally got out to look at the glove box. The drawing in the manual for unhooking the glove box is unclear. The thumbscrew won't budge. Or pull inwards, for that matter. What's the trick?

Oh, and when we get home (on extended vacation in Canada) I'm going to have a nice chat with the service manager at that unnamed Toyota dealership in Grapevine, TX, the one that presented me with the crap-filled filter: One thumb screw / stop is totally missing! The jerks must have broken it!

Check entry #7 on the post below - last paragraph. I used a pair of pliers to turn the tab and a screwdriver to back it out. Squirt some silicone spray lubricant on the plastic parts when reinstalling.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry307469

• 2 weeks later...

You might also want to consider fuel injection service at 30K miles. My Toyota service department recommends it at 30K, but it costs $149 extra. Lexus may or may not include this in their 30K service (I would hope so for $880+)..

My 2007 RX is due for the 30k mile service. I called Lexus and they're charging $820 for the service. I also checked with Toyota and they're substantially less at $420. However, I've heard from several people that you don't really need to do the 30k service as long as you routinely change your oil. Are there certain items from the 30k service list that I should get and maybe just select the ones I want/need? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No recommended service is ever (not needed) for the life of a car depends on service. As for the Toyota dealership..unless you just really like water... :rolleyes: thats not a bad move..my car is currently having a ECM put in and being serviced at a Toyota dealership for about 600 less than what Lexus wanted. note: They offer free coffee and magazine,usually less than two months old mailed to a woman from another state,but somehow always make it to the office....lmao :P .... I would take it to a Lexus dealer on occasion just to have them glance over for a service.. and like quite afew in honesty like just looking around to see the new ones and the shop.. everyone likes five star treatment. But, price wise not a bad deal with Toyota and it still has warranty and trained personel....just my opinion.

The fuel injection cleaning is precisely the kind of cash cow dealer thing you want to make sure is NOT included in the service.

Are you saying that fuel injection service is not needed at 30K (or any time for that matter), or that it is a rip-off, or what?

No recommended service is ever (not needed) for the life of a car depends on service. As for the Toyota dealership..unless you just really like water... :rolleyes: thats not a bad move..my car is currently having a ECM put in and being serviced at a Toyota dealership for about 600 less than what Lexus wanted. note: They offer free coffee and magazine,usually less than two months old mailed to a woman from another state,but somehow always make it to the office....lmao :P .... I would take it to a Lexus dealer on occasion just to have them glance over for a service.. and like quite afew in honesty like just looking around to see the new ones and the shop.. everyone likes five star treatment. But, price wise not a bad deal with Toyota and it still has warranty and trained personel....just my opinion.

I have owned 10 of these vehicals and never have had any back to the stealer fro anything period!! These are well built cars and just to the routine maintainance and nothing more they will go 150K easily. Stealers are a total ripoff.

The fuel injection cleaning is precisely the kind of cash cow dealer thing you want to make sure is NOT included in the service.

Are you saying that fuel injection service is not needed at 30K (or any time for that matter), or that it is a rip-off, or what?

Yes to all. Modern gasolines have a lot of detergents in them that keep the injection system clean, if you use quality fuel then I don't see how the fuel injection service would ever be neccisary. Lexus doesn't reccomend it in its maintenance schedule...if it was neccisary they would have.

If you run regular, I might do it, but even then still probably not.

• 5 weeks later...

As a former Lexus tech and service advisor, let me throw in my opionon. You do need the 30K service, but not necessarily everything the dealer is trying to sell you with it. You need exactly what is outlined in the owners manual. Oil and filter change, air filter, cabin filter and brake fluid replacement. That's it! All the other stuff, like alignments, power steering flush, fuel induction service, is not needed. These are additional services recommended by the dealer, not Lexus. Make the dealership follow exactly what is in the owners manual.

As a former Lexus tech and service advisor, let me throw in my opionon. You do need the 30K service, but not necessarily everything the dealer is trying to sell you with it. You need exactly what is outlined in the owners manual. Oil and filter change, air filter, cabin filter and brake fluid replacement. That's it! All the other stuff, like alignments, power steering flush, fuel induction service, is not needed. These are additional services recommended by the dealer, not Lexus. Make the dealership follow exactly what is in the owners manual.

Put this "pmerryman" guy in charge of something and on the payroll! ;) He sounds like the kind of guy this forum would appreciate, given his background, for the many, many service questions posted herein.

• 3 weeks later...

I am at the Lexus Dealer right now. They just had the nerve to recommend the fuel injection cleaning on my car with 20k miles on it. Unbelievable! He told me it would increase the gas milage!

• 3 weeks later...
I am at the Lexus Dealer right now. They just had the nerve to recommend the fuel injection cleaning on my car with 20k miles on it. Unbelievable! He told me it would increase the gas milage!

Based on what we have learned on this thread, I certainly hope you declined it!