Cabin Air Filter

Billglea

I own a 2007 ES350. How do you access the cabin air filter. I know it is behind the glove box. I see a plastic panel on the back wall inside the box. Is the filter behind this panel, and if so how do you remove the panel? It doesn't seem to be removeable.

I own a 2007 ES350. How do you access the cabin air filter. I know it is behind the glove box. I see a plastic panel on the back wall inside the box. Is the filter behind this panel, and if so how do you remove the panel? It doesn't seem to be removeable.

Yes, that panel is removable. I do not have a 2007 ES350 Owners Manual but the procedure is described on page 332 of the 2008 ES350 Owners manual. You might want to check that area in your manual.

John

Yes, that panel is removable. I do not have a 2007 ES350 Owners Manual but the procedure is described on page 332 of the 2008 ES350 Owners manual. You might want to check that area in your manual.

John

I got to the filter this weekend, and boy was it dirty. Old leaves, twigs, dirt, etc. This filter sure needs changes peroidically.

John

I got to the filter this weekend, and boy was it dirty. Old leaves, twigs, dirt, etc. This filter sure needs changes peroidically.

How much did it cost you for changing the air filter?

When I turn on the AC there is usually a musty smell for about 5 minutes. Is that a symptom of a bad filter?

John

When I turn on the AC there is usually a musty smell for about 5 minutes. Is that a symptom of a bad filter?

I have't changed it yet, but I see filters online for anywhere from $10 to $30. If you filter has mold on it it might cause a musty smell......for the small cost of a new filter it's worth a try.

John

In the humidity of the Bay Area a moldy filter could cause the musty odor. There are several posts on this site regarding the odor problem that you can find in a search.

Try getting a charcoal impregnated filter from Lowe's or Home Depot and cut it to size. Make sure the thickness is compatable. Then tape the edges with duct tape and you have a brand new odor-reducing filter. If the filter is large enough then it can be cut into several Lexus filter sizes and you'd be more likely to change the filter more often.

Mine is changed every 10K miles. I haven't had the rat's nest type of debris that some have found but it is definitely dirty.