Disabling The Auto Tilt Steering Wheel

Bulls I

That is freaking awesome.

Any chance this can be done with an OBDII scan tool?

I assume they'll charge me to do this which would be annoying.

Well, you could try using an "OBDII scan tool". Please report back if you are successful.

Why would you be annoyed if they charged you for changing the customizable settings on a ten year old car? After all, repair shops and Lexus dealers have to pay their employees. This would have been done at no cost only at the 1,000 mile service. A dealer or repair shop may change the customizable settings for "free" if you have your car in for a normal service procedure or other repair.

The indie Lexus repair shop I use changed my interior light delay for free I think mainly because no one had ever asked them to change a customizable setting in the ten years they have been in business.

I would expect a 5 minute code change to be complimentary at a Lexus dealership to promote customer service and repeat business.

It would be a nice gesture to get me to buy another Lexus when this one is done.

Well ... it is more than a "5 minute code change" to plug in the scan scan tool, find the correct menus, make the changes, and then verify that the changes really were made after the scan tool is disconnected.

Lexus dealers already provide many "complimentary" services which you are in fact paying for due to these services being built into the labor rate -- services like fee loaner cars, coffee, soft drinks, pastries, WIFI service, car wash and vacuum, plush waiting rooms with those nice flat panel TVs, etc., etc.

The labor and equipment time for the 1,000 mile "free" customization of personalized settings wasn't free at all but was built into the new car purchase price.

I see that you recently purchased your 99 LS400. Having purchased a new LS400 from a Lexus dealer, I think I can assure you that people are treated a bit better when they have purchased their Lexus when new from the dealership. The same applied when I bought brand new Mercedes and Volvos -- the dealers seemed more attentive knowing that I had purchased new cars from them and that I was more likely to be a repeat new car buyer.

I would expect a 5 minute code change to be complimentary at a Lexus dealership to promote customer service and repeat business.

It would be a nice gesture to get me to buy another Lexus when this one is done.

The dealer's service department doesn't care if you buy 10 year old Lexus cars...or Lexus cars in general. If you are a good service customer then they'll do the update for free, but if you don't have a history with them they will charge you...and rightfully so.

Someone who drives a 10 year old Lexus (nothing wrong with that by the way, so don't get all bent out of shape) is probably not going tospend $180 a pop for oil changes at the Lexus dealer...

• 1 year later...
Is it possible to disable the auto tilting steering wheel? I took my 1999 LS 400 to the dealer and they said it can't be done.

It was a service writer that looked at it and he clearly didn't have much of a clue.

hi,

i have a 2000 lexus ls400. the tilt stopped working last saturday. i removed the cover (1 screw on the bottom and 2 on top-with engine running turn the

steering wheel until both screw are showing. move the wheel as far as it goes towards you and then separate the covers. i tapped on the motor

2 to 3 times with a hammer and then the tilt started working again.

if you look on the bottom of the steering, the worm screw(about 3-4 inches) attaches to it. there is a tan connection to the motor. move the lock (clip)

away from the connector then pull the connector. NOTE: BEFORE DO ALL THIS, WITH YOUR IGNITION TO ON, TILT YOUR WHEEL TO THE DESIRED POSTION. then secure the dangling connection with electic tape.

install cover back then your good to go.