Cool Bluetooth Solution...

SW03ES

I just bought a Motorola MOTOROKR T505 Bluetooth speaker for my car. I've owned a BUNCH of Bluetooth earpeices and speakers. Either the speakers are ugly and don't work well, the headsets never fit right, or fall apart, or are uncomfortable.

This product has a powerful speaker, but it also has a unique feature where it will FM modulate to your radio so the other party will play over your audio speakers. It will also play music off a Bluetooth phone or MP3 player.

Its attractive, the plastic matches the slightly metallic interior Lexus trim, its small and unobtrusive and it works really well. It announces verbally the phone number of the incoming call. Works fine with the phone's voicedial system. I'm impressed...maybe I've finally found the right one...

Here's the product:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/t505/

They have them at BestBuy but they sell them at MSRP which is $135. I got mine on Amazon for $85.

How's the call quality on both ends? Cnet says it's not full duplex, have you noticed any ill effects because of that? All of the user reviews I read seem to say nothing but positive things. The only complaint I read is that some people aren't fond of the power saving features (I'm sure these would also be the people complaining about battery life if those features weren't in place. lol).

That's a really nice solution, Steve. I could see buying something like that if only to use it in rental cars. I'm seeing an increasing number of reports on Lexus forums where drivers have been ticketed for holding phones to their ears -- especially in New York.

Motorola sure makes excellent products. Lexus dealers in the UK are currently selling Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth car kits with Lexus logos on them; they are even available with a "bluetooth complementary kit" that includes interchangeable charging cradles and an external antenna connection. Take a look at the one for the IS -- you will have to click on the little photos to see bigger pictures: http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/accessories/interior.aspx

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from UK Lexus dealers by phone and in person but I suspect that buying the Lexus branded IHF1000 and the complementary kit would add up to some pretty big bucks - I don't know if I want to go there.

I just bought a Motorola MOTOROKR T505 Bluetooth speaker for my car. I've owned a BUNCH of Bluetooth earpeices and speakers. Either the speakers are ugly and don't work well, the headsets never fit right, or fall apart, or are uncomfortable.

This product has a powerful speaker . . . . . . snip

Is your Lexus 'Pre-Bluetooth' ? IOW, what's wrong w/ the car's own bt setup. We find that works decent enough. Let's see ... your avatar shows '2003' model so I don't know. Our '04 Toyota has it so maybe i'm being presumptuous.

This product has a powerful speaker . . . . . . snip

Is your Lexus 'Pre-Bluetooth' ? IOW, what's wrong w/ the car's own bt setup. We find that works decent enough. Let's see ... your avatar shows '2003' model so I don't know. Our '04 Toyota has it so maybe i'm being presumptuous.

2004 was the first model year that Toyota/Lexus put Bluetooth in any of their U.S. spec vehicles -- and then only the cars with Nav unless Bluetooth was available in the non-nav versions of the Prius with the information screen. Prior to 2004, most Lexus models were pre-wired at the factory for the dealer installed Lexus phones.

Yeah my car has no factory Bluetooth, it wasn't available on the ES until 2007, came out on the LS in 2004. If I had the factory Bluetooth I would use that.

The sound quality is excellent, I've had no complaints and have no complaints about hearing others whether using the integrated speaker or using the FM modulation. It does turn the FM modulation off when not used to 15 minutes which is a little annoying when answering a call, it comes through the integrated speaker but I can see how that FM modulator would use a lot of power.

I've spoken to probably 10-15 people on it today and its been great each time. Jim, its absolutely worth buying for rental cars.

I'll take a picture of how it looks in the car tonight, it looks like it could have come from the factory because of the plastic finish.

Here are a few pictures. Took them tonight in the garage so they're dark. In the first one you can see how well it matches the plastic around the audio system, etc.

It really works and looks great...

post-564-1221697331_thumb.jpg

post-564-1221697336_thumb.jpg

post-564-1221697344_thumb.jpg

post-564-1221697356_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately in my business if I'm in the car during the day...Im on the phone...

As for talking while driving, I think that some people are better at it than others. The T505 certainly makes it a lot less distracting for me. I am not very good at driving and holding the phone at the same time. Even with the speakerphone, I still will not make or answer a call in heavy traffic.

I feel like talking on the phone takes some of my attention away from the road. But, I know other people who it does not seem to affect at all.

Surprisingly, some studies have shown that engaging in a conversation with a pass can be even more distracting than using a cell. One aspect is the driver taking their eyes off the road to look at the pass during the conversation. I don't take/make cell calls while driving because there's enough going on without having to share my attention with someone trying to sell me a free vacation to the Bahamas. Besides, I see what it does for the !Removed! making left turns from the curb lane or cruising through a red light all the while continuing with their conversation on the ubiquitous cell. If I really needed to use it for my biz, I'm not sure sure what I'd do. I suppose hands free puts both hands on the wheel, but does it put the mind back on the road?