Motor Mounts....

90LS400Lexus

I certainly would not use aftermarket mounts. The small amount of money you may save is probably not worth it. I would not want to be disappointed with the result after I paid a mechanic a large amount of money to install new mounts.

BTW Tony, I am still working on the coolant level sensor, if you still need it. Will PM you when I have it out.

First of all, there's the price. At $29, they're most likely made in China. So you can guess what the quality will be like. Secondly, they're Universal, usually meaning "approximately suitable for your car" with some adjustments/tweaking required for correct installation. Direct fit is what you want and in the end, for guaranteed quality, nothing beats OEM. That's just the way it is.

Thanks... I appreciate it. This car is already costing me a fortune and its not even going to be mine anymore, so I am looking for affordable parts. :)

I guess I will have to go with the $200 mounts and pay another $300+ labor. Then I am still dealing with the brake warning light issue, even though the brakes are fine and I am being told its the alternator, yet the battery light is not coming on..... <_< Lord only knows how much more thats gonna cost me.

BTW Tony, I am still working on the coolant level sensor, if you still need it. Will PM you when I have it out.

Even though they're oem, shop around for the best price. One shop you can get a price from is:

http://www.lexuspartsmall.com/staff.php

The contact there is Terry Barrett. I believe he's also an LOC member. And don't have a Lexus dealer do the labor. Get an estimate from a Toyota dealership.

I would say motor mounts are the type of part that you should always stick with the OEM. It has a very specific shape and it is tight enough as is when changing out the flattened old ones with full size new ones. I live in a big metro area so shopping around for price is easy. I asked my indie for a quote and after doing the repair myself I was shocked at how little he would have charged. IIRC it was less than $200 labor. Based on charging so little, I would guess that my indie would do the "drop the cross member" method of changing the motor mounts. Some member did this recently and included pictures. It looked like he accomplished the repair in a parking lot. I did the more labor intensive "unhooking everything in the engine compartment to raise the engine" method.

Sounds like our cars are twins. I had the rare "dim parking brake light" symptom also.

And if it weren't for the previous owner, I would also have the same low coolant light problem as you do. The PO took care of it for me by just cutting the sensor wires underneath the rubber cap rather than buy a new sensor.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Oh really? You car is not pearl white by chance is it? :P Your light problem was caused by the alternator wasnt it? My "dim" brake light has turned into a fully illuminated light. If its the alternator, I cant for the life of me figure out why its the charging light thats not illuminated. These cars should have better warning systems than this... a brake light for a faulty alternator. :rolleyes::lol:

Cutting the sensor wires to the coolant sensor? :o Wow, I do not think I would go that far. I am hoping to get a sensor soon. If the PO of my car had of thought of that, he probably would. He lied about it not having any vibrations when I bought it. <_<

I gave a detailed list to my friend to give her father of my cars needs. He is a certified Toyota mechanic that does work at his personal garage on the side. Hopefully he will be one of those "$200 labor" guys. :)

How much more difficult is it to remove the crossmembers than raise the engine?

Sounds like our cars are twins. I had the rare "dim parking brake light" symptom also.

And if it weren't for the previous owner, I would also have the same low coolant light problem as you do. The PO took care of it for me by just cutting the sensor wires underneath the rubber cap rather than buy a new sensor.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Yes, my "dim brake light" was the precursor to alternator failure. My charging light did start flashing torwards the end just before the battery died.

You may be lucky that you have a full brake light on now! Maybe now it is just one of your sensors, either brake fluid level sensor or parking brake sensor.

I discovered the cut wires when I tried to clean the sticky stuff oozing out from under the rubber cap of the sensor. I really should change that sensor. Low/lost coolant is a very bad thing!

I did not drop the cross member to do the motor mounts. I made a half hearted attempt to drop the cross member when I got stuck and needed just a little more clearance to install the new mount. IIRC there were 4 large bolts to break and I could only get one of them. Besides I really didn't know what I was doing here so went back to the more traditional method. I eventually removed the sub mounts also, 4 easy to get to bolts each side and then everything went easy after that.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Well, my friend got back with me today.... she said her dad told her he would change the motor mounts and transmission mount for $150.00 !!!!!!!!!!!! :o Yes!! I told her I would order the parts and for him to let me know when to bring it. ;)

Thanks... I may have him look into that brake fluid level sensor.

ALSO... whats the difference in the mounts for a LS400 vs a SC400? Same engines right? I found someone online selling these mounts, but the ones for the SC400 were $40.00 cheaper and I want to know why! These were genuine Toyota mounts, never used, but not sure how old they are. If they were never on a car, would it matter if they are old and have been stored indoors?

I can get new mounts from that Lexus dealer for $90.00 each + shipping. I emailed them to see how much shipping is, but my email bounced back. I went back to the form and asked what shipping from them would be. Thanks.

Yes, my "dim brake light" was the precursor to alternator failure. My charging light did start flashing torwards the end just before the battery died.

You may be lucky that you have a full brake light on now! Maybe now it is just one of your sensors, either brake fluid level sensor or parking brake sensor.

I discovered the cut wires when I tried to clean the sticky stuff oozing out from under the rubber cap of the sensor. I really should change that sensor. Low/lost coolant is a very bad thing!

I did not drop the cross member to do the motor mounts. I made a half hearted attempt to drop the cross member when I got stuck and needed just a little more clearance to install the new mount. IIRC there were 4 large bolts to break and I could only get one of them. Besides I really didn't know what I was doing here so went back to the more traditional method. I eventually removed the sub mounts also, 4 easy to get to bolts each side and then everything went easy after that.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

That would be a question for a dealer. If the part number is the same, it should be fine.

There is an ebay seller offering some now but the ad is a bit confusing. The ad sez part #12360-50100 for 90-2000 LS400, but pic is 12360-50110.

The ad for 92-2000 SC400 sez part is 12361-50100 but pic is same as the LS400 ad, 12360-50110.

IIRC, I have bought from this guy before and he was OK. There is a phone number so he could verify easily.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks Glenmore... yes, those are the ones I seen on ebay and the reason I asked that. I noticed that the photos were the same, but the part # was slightly different. Perhaps where it mounts to the cars frame is different?

I am wanting to hurry and take advantage of this guy changing them for $150!

There is an ebay seller offering some now but the ad is a bit confusing. The ad sez part #12360-50100 for 90-2000 LS400, but pic is 12360-50110.

The ad for 92-2000 SC400 sez part is 12361-50100 but pic is same as the LS400 ad, 12360-50110.

Lexus parts mall replied and shipping will be $16.00.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks.... I am still confused after more research - still not sure if the SC mounts will work or not.

I never got a reply from that seller :rolleyes: - to see if he could see any difference in the SC mounts vs the LS mounts. The SC mounts are $40 cheaper. I have since bought myself another car (and it cost more to ship than I thought) and needing to get as cheap of mounts as possible since I am also having to get these installed for her before I give it to her. I may be forced to get into my other savings account and just get the $200 mounts and hold off and get the transmission mount done later on. :(

What could happen continuing to drive with very bad engine/transmission mounts? Engine damage or just severe vibrations?

I am about to talk her out of this Lexus and selling it and buying her another car besides Lexus. Its just getting too costly to maintain. Motor mounts, transmission mount, alternator possibly going out (brake warning light occasionally illuminating), power steering pump leaking internally and now its getting to where it needs valve cover gasket on the passenger side. :(

If I can get these things fixed without it costing me an arm/leg, I think the car will be good for another 100K-200K? <_<

If anyone can recommend a place where I can get quality and cheap (if those words even go together), motor mounts, please direct me.

Cheapest I have found are about $90. each, with an additional $20 shipping. May not be able to get genuine Toyota/Lexus parts cheaper than that though. Awful lot of $ for such small and simple looking parts. I guess thats the price you pay though for owning a luxury import car.

Was just quoted $113.63 for both motor mounts (Part No. 12361-50100) and $40.30 for the transmission mount (Part No. 12371-50060) from LEXUSPARTSMALL.com for my 1999 LS 400.

However, I have been convinced, in my case, I don't have motor mount nor transmission mount problems, yet.

Was just quoted $113.63 for both motor mounts (Part No. 12361-50100) and $40.30 for the transmission mount (Part No. 12371-50060) from LEXUSPARTSMALL.com for my 1999 LS 400.

However, I have been convinced, in my case, I don't have motor mount nor transmission mount problems, yet.

Thanks. $113 for BOTH mounts? Hmmm.... well I think when I got a quote from them it was $90 each for the mounts and $59 for the tranny mount. Maybe they dont like me? lol. Oh I notice you have a 99 LS400. Surely they are not cheaper for newer LS??! One would think they would be even more complex/advanced? That would be my luck though. :(

I will try again.

Just do it yourself. Its not that hard.

Thanks... lol, I would if I had the tools, time and had a better back to get under and wiggle around under it. :(

Although this will no longer be my car, I still want it to be as silky smooth as my 1988 Mercedes. :)

• 1 month later...
I certainly would not use aftermarket mounts. The small amount of money you may save is probably not worth it. I would not want to be disappointed with the result after I paid a mechanic a large amount of money to install new mounts.

Thomas - "90LexusLS400" here (I lost my password/changed email and could not get ahold of anyone, so I had to start a new account :( ) - so I have not been able to post here in weeks. I am not sure if you PMed me or not about the sensor... did you ever get it?

Thanks.

To update with my mounts - still have not got them changed - nor have I given this car to my mom yet. I want to get it repaired first. I am now having to deal with a pretty annoying power steering leak now. :(

I am wondering if for now if just the easier to change transmission mount would help? Even when stopped and if I rev the engine a little, I can feel the vibraton through the steering wheel. I wonder if bad transmission mounts alone could cause that?

Thanks. $113 for BOTH mounts? Hmmm.... well I think when I got a quote from them it was $90 each for the mounts and $59 for the tranny mount. Maybe they dont like me? lol. Oh I notice you have a 99 LS400. Surely they are not cheaper for newer LS??! One would think they would be even more complex/advanced? That would be my luck though. :(

I will try again.

That part number for the motor mounts is the same as I put on my '91 early this year. Paid $92.67 each with free shipping. The Trans mount for the '91 is 12371-50010, paid $57.05. Yes, the trans mount changed, and got cheaper on the newer one (-50060). If that $113 for both quote is real, it is a great deal.

I replaced them all myself. The trans is easy. The engine mounts are harder. Definitely do not go with anything other than OEM on this. I can't imagine how a "universal" part would work. It is an extremely tight fit.

If anyone's looking to do this themselves, I followed Glenmore's instructions, with the following deviations:

I used a pivoting socket wrench (having this tool was critical in making it easier - this is like a standard 3/8" drive, except the handle pivots at the head) with a standard-depth 17mm socket on it to get the upper nuts on the mounts. Passenger side first - used craftsman 17mm open end wrench with big long second wrench to add leverage. Came easily. On driver side, the pivoting socket wrench was essential.

I removed the wiring harness + PS line as instructed, but none of the other stuff (did not touch AC, no PS return hose hold down). (all this, not only because I'm lazy, but because I did not want to open any cans of worms along the way) I did remove air cleaner, etc. since that seemed to be getting stressed as I lifted the engine carefully.

Removed both wheels and splash pan cover for clearance. I removed the oil filter (and did an oil change), but that may have not been necessary.

Lowered crossmember nuts until only about 2-3 threads were engaged.

Everything else was as Glenmore's instructions said.

yeah the trans mount is very easy to change. 4 14mm nuts and 4 12mm bolts. you can but do not need to support the trans, the engine and driveshaft will keep the trans connected to the car although the back of the trans will drop some (where mount is) swap mount and bolt up the mount bracket and u are done. and while you are down there look toward the front on the engine around the wheels and you can easily see the motor mounts to determine if you can change them yourself. YOU CAN DO THE TRANS MOUNT YOURSELF. for more info/pics view Lexls.com trans tutorial