Oxygen Sensor Location 2000 Gs400 8-cyl

Check engine light came on. Dealer says I need a new catalytic converter (driver side) for about $1000 parts + $300 labor. He thinks O2 sensors are ok.

The car has about 120,000 miles and the O2 sensors were never changed.

Various websites suggest that a failed upstream sensor will mess up the cat, so replace the sensors if you need to replace the cat, they suggest.

So, looking at various oxygen sensor sellers, I see items labeled front, rear, back, upstream, downstream, and left and right.

The dealer told me I have sensors before and after the cat, but what's up with left and right? Do I have 4 sensors? Are there 2 for each of the

two cats? Are they really made differently for left and right?

I want to replace all 4, and also replace the failed cat, which is on the driver side. Can anyone tell me where the sensors are located and

how to I identify the type I need with respect to left and right, front and back, etc.

I was thinking of Bosch sensors. Any suggestions on where to buy the cat? I've seen prices around $200.

I'd love a link to a factory repair guide. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Check engine light came on. Dealer says I need a new catalytic converter (driver side) for about $1000 parts + $300 labor. He thinks O2 sensors are ok.

The car has about 120,000 miles and the O2 sensors were never changed.

Various websites suggest that a failed upstream sensor will mess up the cat, so replace the sensors if you need to replace the cat, they suggest.

So, looking at various oxygen sensor sellers, I see items labeled front, rear, back, upstream, downstream, and left and right.

The dealer told me I have sensors before and after the cat, but what's up with left and right? Do I have 4 sensors? Are there 2 for each of the

two cats? Are they really made differently for left and right?

I want to replace all 4, and also replace the failed cat, which is on the driver side. Can anyone tell me where the sensors are located and

how to I identify the type I need with respect to left and right, front and back, etc.

I was thinking of Bosch sensors. Any suggestions on where to buy the cat? I've seen prices around $200.

I'd love a link to a factory repair guide. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

nydavid21 Welcome to the board. Cats do go bad. The post cat O2 sensor only monitors catalist performance and it will through a code if there the computer thinks there is an issue.

I have purchased O2 Sensors in the past from a guy on Ebay. The sellers name is evalero1 his email is evalero@hotmail.com. Here is a link to a seach with all of his items. http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search....o=&saprchi=

Very easy to deal with and his prices cannot be beat.

I have a complete manual on CD for the 98-2001 GS I would love to have a bad cat so that I can make a test pipe and get ride of the Cats. Maybe we could swap for a bit..

Let me know,

BP