1991 Ls400

monkihead

Might be picking up a 91 LS400 in rough condition. It needs quite a bit of electrical work. Is there

any type of on line service manual for this car? IE- I have a supra and we have a cygnus tsrm. It

has all the technical data from part #s to wiring diagrams. Or should I pass on this project?

What are the symptoms?

when battery is attached, rear tail lights are on. key isn't in the ignition.

alarm appears to activate by opening door(headlights begin to flash/horn

doesn't work). driver master switch has been taken out. radio has been

removed, harness has been clipped and has other minor electrical issues.

pigtail to radio is there, along with stock radio and original master window

switch. owner noted the original switch has gone bad-therefore had removed.

car won't start anymore. I know the owner, trust that car does run. has new stickers and

is getting towed back to their house from electrical short.

holy hell....

find one in better condition!

BTW what is asking price?

lmao... 1k. was considering it, to possibly do a swap into my supra-if the electronics

get the best of me. my supra has seen better days, but would love to have a v8. had

considered an LS1 out of the camaro/firebirds. Haven't found any that cheap.

holy hell....

find one in better condition!

BTW what is asking price?

lmao... 1k. was considering it, to possibly do a swap into my supra-if the electronics

get the best of me. my supra has seen better days, but would love to have a v8. had

considered an LS1 out of the camaro/firebirds. Haven't found any that cheap.

Dude, I got a 90 with 197K miles on it for 1500. And at that it's in great condition; runs great and has no electrical or other problems...just my personal opinion, I would pass...

If the wire harness has been clipped, I would not waste my time with that car.

After hearing a story from a friend, I learned that it is just one single harness that goes through the whole car. He has a 1994 LS, with over 300,000 miles. The car still looks beautiful and runs very well. It is a good example of how long things will last if just taken care of properly.

After changing his oil, among other things, a quick-lube mechanic somehow managed to damage the battery terminal clamps enough that the cables needed to be replaced. This meant replacing the main wire harness. The cost for the replacement part was $2500, plus labor, which was almost as much.

Last time I checked, the cost for the harness had gone up even more...not sure why. Needless to say, I do not think my friend ever visited that shop again.

If all you want out of the car is the engine, it might be a decent deal. Otherwise, I would find a different one.

Everything in those early model Lexus cars is electronic. EVERYTHING. I had a wire become disconnected in the truck wiring harness, and my 90 ls400 starting acting all kinds of strange...my reverse light indicator came on every time I touched the brake, my reverse lights stopped working, and when you were driving, the rpms would rev up when you touched the brake. Also, when you touched the brake while driving the ABS system would kick in and make you feel like you were slamming on the brake even if you barely touched it. If the electronics are damaged, that car is basically junk.

The girl has gone down to 800. I'm going to give it a shot. If I can bring back

my supra from the dead 3 times on ignition issues, this shouldn't be too bad. I'm

not denying that it will be difficult, but something new to learn. I'm giving myself

a time limit on it though. 2 months max, otherwise engine and tranny are getting

pulled and put into my supra or some other shell.