Broken Panoramic Glass Roof For Es350

moe2008

We broke the panoramic sunroof on our 2007 ES 350 this weekend. I called the dealers and the cost to replace including labor and parts is $2,700. This is crazy and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of how to fix it for less or who would fix it other than a dealer. I called the auto glass shops, but they don't do panaormic roofs. The roof does not slide, but rather acts as the roof on the car and allows back seat passengers to have an overhead view and sunlight. You can see it @ http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/arti...cle_id_int/1256

Help anyone please..

THX

MA

We broke the panoramic sunroof on our 2007 ES 350 this weekend. I called the dealers and the cost to replace including labor and parts is $2,700. This is crazy and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of how to fix it for less or who would fix it other than a dealer. I called the auto glass shops, but they don't do panaormic roofs. The roof does not slide, but rather acts as the roof on the car and allows back seat passengers to have an overhead view and sunlight. You can see it @ http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/arti...cle_id_int/1256

Help anyone please..

THX

MA

Is the roof not considered glass and covered by your Comprehensive Insurance? The price being asked is actually less than I would have expected. That is a BIG piece of glass.

John

Help anyone please..

THX

MA

Is the roof not considered glass and covered by your Comprehensive Insurance? The price being asked is actually less than I would have expected. That is a BIG piece of glass.

John

I was hoping not to file a claim and get it done for less. The glass is a big piece, but $2700, that is outreageous.

MA

I was hoping not to file a claim and get it done for less. The glass is a big piece, but $2700, that is outreageous.

MA

Considering an OEM Windshield for one of these cars is $1000, I think $2700 for the glass is a deal. Remember they have to install it, thats probably 8-10 hours of labor...

Since the car is so new, you're probably going to have to let the dealer do it. I'd file a claim for it, at $2700 its worth it.

MA

I have State Farm insurance and Comprehensive claims do not increase my rates. I hit a deer with one of my cars and did over $5000 in damage. I have no deductible on my Comprehensive and it did not cost me a penny. It happened about 1 1/2 years ago and my rates have not increased.

I would check with your insurance company before you proceed.

Good luck,

John

Agree with all above--check out insurance, and $2.7K sounds ok.IMHO.

If someone taps a bumper and paint is needed it will cost 2K.....

? is how did u break it? I think all of us wondered about such issues, something fall from garage?

Well, thats not really true. A top notch bumper repaint will run you $500...but I think $2700 for the glass roof installed is okay...

I bet glass went everywhere...or is that roof laminated like the windshield...I bet it is...

I disagree and speak from experience.

A top notch repaint up here approved by insurance cost me (well the insurance paid ) about $1,200-2k on my 99 maxima ...If I remember the last one was in 2002/4 or so... so with inflation ... maybe a little under today but still close to 2K...

had it done 2 X to me with the maxima one front and one back..... both other peoples fault----one guy who backed up in the middle of a turning lane and hit me tried to default on the payment---'cause it was so much... too bad for him...he was persuaded to pay... Other person hit my car when parked.

cheers

Well, thats not really true. A top notch bumper repaint will run you $500...but I think $2700 for the glass roof installed is okay...

I bet glass went everywhere...or is that roof laminated like the windshield...I bet it is...

I had my rear bumper replaced and painted for < $900 by a Lexus certified body shop.

The glass, think about how careful you have to be about shipping, handling and installation. And, I am sure the part itself, with motors, and servos, I am sure it is not cheap. Then comes the labor...

I disagree and speak from experience.

A top notch repaint up here approved by insurance cost me (well the insurance paid ) about $1,200-2k on my 99 maxima ...If I remember the last one was in 2002/4 or so... so with inflation ... maybe a little under today but still close to 2K...

had it done 2 X to me with the maxima one front and one back..... both other peoples fault----one guy who backed up in the middle of a turning lane and hit me tried to default on the payment---'cause it was so much... too bad for him...he was persuaded to pay... Other person hit my car when parked.

cheers

If you or your insurance paid $1200-$2000 to repaint a bumper...you got taken. I have had the rear bumper of my Lexus (twice), the front bumper of another Lexus, and several bumpers on my Explorer painted and the cost to me out of pocket between $400-$500 a pop. All the estimates I got in those situations were in line with that. The shop I use all the time now does really high end work and is understood to be one of the most expensive shops in the DC area and the cost was $500.

My mother just had the rear bumper of her FX35 repainted last month...$450.

If the bumper cover is replaced you're looking at another $400 or so for the cover. Hence AZ's $900 cost.

Get the phone book and call some other body shops and ask "How much ballpark to repaint a urethane bumper cover? $2000 is theivery, unless there was more damage to the structure of the car behind the bumper...

Sometimes body shops ramp prices for insurance companies, but you could repaint half a car for $2000. If you presented me with a bill like that for bumping into your car, I'd hire a lawyer and demand you get a reasonable estimate.

Its about 6 hours of labor to remove, repair, repaint, match, reinstall, and trim out a bumper. The paint costs probably $30, so at $2000 you paid about $330 an hour in labor. At $500 you're around $80 an hour. If you ask a body shop you'll see thats pretty close to their labor rate.

Yahoo Answers thread on the subject:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...27172238AAF25XZ

If you have it repainted, there will be no guarantee that the paint will not peal, but most likely will not. To do the job right expect 5 to 600 dollars.
I had a small ding on my bumper because some moron lady backed into it. THe estimate to remove the bumper, strip the clear coat, apply new paint and reinstall the bumper was less than 400.00

Thread on Autopia:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-driver/10...paint-cost.html