Swapping Out A/c Lcd With Radio Lcd.....?

Lets see....I can sell my Nakamichi radio on ebay for less than 100 bucks. I don't need it. But I do need new lcd for my a/c temp control unit. A new lcd alone cost over 150 bucks. I "think" that the lcd's are interchangeable. I could save money and just swap them out. Any opinions?

The climate control units for Lexus are NOT interchangeable, per the dealer. I'm advised the 92-94 models are, the 95-97 models are, and the 98-2000 models are interchangeable. The new climate control unit will run around $1100.00 from a Lexus dealer. If you take it in, they may well have yours repaired rather than put in a new unit. A local parts manager advised me of this, and told me how to contact one of their repair sources. The repair quote was $195.00, and I used them in April with great results. Contact Sammy Wu, 8840 Forest Street, Gilroy, CA 95020 or email sammywu@sbcglobal.net. Be advised, the climate display sometimes blacks out due to a component failure in the climate control board (as with mine) rather than just the display itself. If so, the repair cost can increase by another hundred or more. Sammy's company does business on eBay, as does another company out of New Jersey that offers a lifetime warranty on their work. Check it out before you spend $150 on a used one unless you'r confident its good, and that its compatible. I was surprised how many sellers of used surplus units couldn't say for sure the exact year model, or whether it was compatible with my '95 model SC400. Could be an easy way to waste a couple hundred if you don't do the homework, and it may be safer to have yours repaired for this reason.

That's some good info. I will definetly look into that contact info. But still...are the lcd's from the radio unit interchangeable with the climte control? Are they the sme lcd unit? I recall a website that explained how to replace the blacked-out lcd with a brand new one. It only involved taking the unit apart, desoldering and resoldering. And it seemed to work just fine. Only my display is messed up. Its funny...but when its blazing hot outside, the "black" goes away. As soon as it cools though....its back. Before I finish my restoration of the interior....I need this fixed.

Lets see....I can sell my Nakamichi radio on ebay for less than 100 bucks. I don't need it. But I do need new lcd for my a/c temp control unit. A new lcd alone cost over 150 bucks. I "think" that the lcd's are interchangeable. I could save money and just swap them out. Any opinions?

The climate control units for Lexus are NOT interchangeable, per the dealer. I'm advised the 92-94 models are, the 95-97 models are, and the 98-2000 models are interchangeable. The new climate control unit will run around $1100.00 from a Lexus dealer. If you take it in, they may well have yours repaired rather than put in a new unit. A local parts manager advised me of this, and told me how to contact one of their repair sources. The repair quote was $195.00, and I used them in April with great results. Contact Sammy Wu, 8840 Forest Street, Gilroy, CA 95020 or email sammywu@sbcglobal.net. Be advised, the climate display sometimes blacks out due to a component failure in the climate control board (as with mine) rather than just the display itself. If so, the repair cost can increase by another hundred or more. Sammy's company does business on eBay, as does another company out of New Jersey that offers a lifetime warranty on their work. Check it out before you spend $150 on a used one unless you'r confident its good, and that its compatible. I was surprised how many sellers of used surplus units couldn't say for sure the exact year model, or whether it was compatible with my '95 model SC400. Could be an easy way to waste a couple hundred if you don't do the homework, and it may be safer to have yours repaired for this reason.

While the physical dimensions and construction are very similar, the differences are within the panel.

LCD panels work because of PREDETERMINED areas that can be activated with an electrical charge.

Turn the charge on, the crystals change alignment and the segment appears. Release the charge and the segment disappears.

The segments in the panel are different. The HVAC panel has the segments that show you which direction the air is moving.

The radio does not, hence they are different panels. It is not like a computer screen LCD panel that can be infinitely configured.

It is more like a calculator display.

Tom

I don't believe you! Hahahaha! Just kidding. Now that's what I'm talking about! A real answer. Thank you for a legitimate answer. I wish it would work. It would be a stress reliever, but I guess I have to either find proper lcd, send it off to get fixed, or just deal with an ugly display. As much quality that went into these cars.....little stuff like this *BLEEP*es me off. But it's all good. It's still a lexus. Thanks again.

While the physical dimensions and construction are very similar, the differences are within the panel.

LCD panels work because of PREDETERMINED areas that can be activated with an electrical charge.

Turn the charge on, the crystals change alignment and the segment appears. Release the charge and the segment disappears.

The segments in the panel are different. The HVAC panel has the segments that show you which direction the air is moving.

The radio does not, hence they are different panels. It is not like a computer screen LCD panel that can be infinitely configured.

It is more like a calculator display.

Tom