Gs300 Estate/station Wagon

Just posted this on the Uk LOC forum but thought I might get some replies/ideas here too....

I have a GS300.

I have a big hairy dog that loves the beach (She's only allowed in the GS when very clean and very dry).

Saturday morning comes and I'm driving dog to beach in company van when I would love to be driving the GS.

Would it be possible to turn a MK2 GS300 into an estate?

I'm thinking of contacting coachbuilders for opinion - If it would look good and cost 2 or 3k I'd go with it, plus I'd have something unique :-)

And before anyone suggests an RX - I hate the look of the MK1 and can't afford the MK2!

See pic below - (Photoshop difficult after a few drinks) ;-)

gs300swkc2.th.jpg

ok besides the obvious photoshop miscolors it doesnt look terrible. its not my cup of tea and man thats just not worth it finacially for a dog. heres a idea.....kill the dog, get a women and take her to the beach in the gs. :rolleyes:

brian

You won't be able to convert your GS sedan into a wagon for $2 - $3k......not even close.

But it wouldn't hurt to e-mail Lexus UK to get their reaction to the idea......I'd love to see Lexus offer a wagon. B)

:cheers:

I doubt that many Americans understand the tradition that existed in the UK of modifying sedans to create estate cars and shooting brakes. But hasn't that tradition mostly died out with there being so many ready made estate cars available?

Relatively few "estate cars" (station wagons) have been available in the U.S. since the U.S. went minivan and then SUV- crazy in the 1980s.

Certainly the GS would make a nice estate car -- it has often been suggested that the GS would make the best wagon of all Lexus sedans and give the Mercedes E-class and BMW 5-series wagons serious competition.

If you really want to carry your dog in your GS, there are lots of rear seat covers and accessories available that are specifically made for carrying dogs. And what about the Toyota Avensis that replaced the Camry in the U.K? I've ridden in an Avensis Estate several times and liked it a lot and wish it or something like it was sold by Toyota in the U.S.

I've always been a huge fan of station wagons / estate cars. My wife and I went to buy a Camry wagon in 1998 but had to settle for a sedan since the Camry wagon was discontinued in the U.S. in 1996. Attached is a photo of that 1998 Camry wagon we really wanted to buy -- sold outside the U.S. as the Toyota Gracia.

post-2157-1221502172_thumb.jpg

ok besides the obvious photoshop miscolors it doesnt look terrible. its not my cup of tea and man thats just not worth it finacially for a dog. heres a idea.....kill the dog, get a women and take her to the beach in the gs. :rolleyes:

brian

Good idea but I just can't see my gf running daft around the beach and chasing sticks into the sea, pity really - Dogs are for the beach, women are for the bedroom :D

Also, it wouldn't be just for the dog, I prefer the shape/looks of estates but don't want to part with my GS.

I doubt that many Americans understand the tradition that existed in the UK of modifying sedans to create estate cars and shooting brakes. But hasn't that tradition mostly died out with there being so many ready made estate cars available?

Relatively few "estate cars" (station wagons) have been available in the U.S. since the U.S. went minivan and then SUV- crazy in the 1980s.

Certainly the GS would make a nice estate car -- it has often been suggested that the GS would make the best wagon of all Lexus sedans and give the Mercedes E-class and BMW 5-series wagons serious competition.

If you really want to carry your dog in your GS, there are lots of rear seat covers and accessories available that are specifically made for carrying dogs. And what about the Toyota Avensis that replaced the Camry in the U.K? I've ridden in an Avensis Estate several times and liked it a lot and wish it or something like it was sold by Toyota in the U.S.

I've always been a huge fan of station wagons / estate cars. My wife and I went to buy a Camry wagon in 1998 but had to settle for a sedan since the Camry wagon was discontinued in the U.S. in 1996. Attached is a photo of that 1998 Camry wagon we really wanted to buy -- sold outside the U.S. as the Toyota Gracia.

Good points - Thing is estates aren't as prevalent here in Ireland as they are in the UK so a custom estate here would be very unique and I like unique ;-)

The Avensis is a definite no no - My dad has one and while it's a fine car it is many many classes below the GS ( The Avensis actually replaced the Carina in Europe - The Camry is a bigger model and has been available here in different guises since the eighties).

I get where you are coming from with the Camry Wagon though as I considered them when looking for my GS and possibly would have bought one had I found the right car.

Here's a picture of Pepper in the GS (For once, not wet to the skin with sea water and covered in sand):

05052008244fh8.th.jpg

Theres that IS sportcross... its a wagon... same engine as the gs... just not a gs...

if your referring to his pic on the 1st post.........that's a photo shop. look at the trunk area in the pic! plus i think he said he photo shopped it!

brian

Theres that IS sportcross... its a wagon... same engine as the gs... just not a gs...

Spot on but don't like the IS - too small, IS300 Sportcross rarer than hen's teeth here anyway and poor dog would barely fit in the back, it's more of a different shape boot than a proper estate/station wagon, really is tiny!

if your referring to his pic on the 1st post.........that's a photo shop. look at the trunk area in the pic! plus i think he said he photo shopped it!

brian

I know it was photoshop, i was just referring him to a lexus wagon.

Good idea but I just can't see my gf running daft around the beach and chasing sticks into the sea, pity really - Dogs are for the beach, women are for the bedroom :D

Also, it wouldn't be just for the dog, I prefer the shape/looks of estates but don't want to part with my GS.

damo1 you cant? you need a new gf then. mine chases sticks and cars too. occasionally i have to punish her for peeing on the couch but you know i love the little girl. :whistles: hehehe

I know it was photoshop, i was just referring him to a lexus wagon.

oh, i c

brian

damo1 you cant? you need a new gf then. mine chases sticks and cars too. occasionally i have to punish her for peeing on the couch but you know i love the little girl. :whistles: hehehe

Hmmm... All well and good now but how are you going to get on taking her down the isle with her stopping to pee on every pew in the church ?? :P

Still probably worth it - If she chases sticks and cars I bet she doesn't nag you about coming home drunk or driving fast ;)

damo1 you cant? you need a new gf then. mine chases sticks and cars too. occasionally i have to punish her for peeing on the couch but you know i love the little girl.:whistles: hehehe

Hmmm... All well and good now but how are you going to get on taking her down the isle with her stopping to pee on every pew in the church ?? :P

Still probably worth it - If she chases sticks and cars I bet she doesn't nag you about coming home drunk or driving fast ;)

what aisle? unless your talking about the grocery store aisle we wont be going down any other lol! :D

nah no nagging or i just put her outside in her kennel hahahahaha

brian