Looking To Be Ls400 Owner Soon

LEXUSA

It is time for me to get another car. I have always liked the entire Lexus line and am impressed with the high quality and durabiliy. It looks like a '98 to Y2K LS400 is in my price range and definately in my "wants" range. Is there much difference, better/worse etc? I have perused the different posts covering buying one but any other suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

You mean differences between the 98-00 years? Not really. In 99 the wood/leather wheel and HID headlights became standard whereas on the 98 they were options (although almost all of them have them). In 99 they introduced DRL's (daytime running lights) and in 00 they introduced brake force distribution that maximizes braking power when a panic stop is detected. They also installed the child seat LATCH system in '00 if thats important to you.

In 00 there was also a platinum edition that had special trim, badging, wheels, wood, and leather surfaces.

Pretty much though they're the same, I'd concentrate on finding the right car with the equipment you want with service records and in the right condition and ignore the year. I'd skip the navigation system since they don't offer updates for the maps anymore.

Thanks for the info. Most of what you have listed doesn't really matter to me at all. A smooth quiet luxurious ride with decent gas mileage and high dependability is foremost. I'll probably drive it to the point that its worth about $500 with fresh oil and a full tank of gas. I'm kinda hoping the resale value right now is down due to this "oil crisis" we are currently in. I usually buy or sell at the least opportune times, maybe this will be different.

hi Lexusa, congraulation on deciding on the lexus LS series it is legendary, no other car on the market drives like these the smoothness and durablility is top notch. the 98-00 are very nice, my favorite body style, its a classic, there are a lot of them out there with very decent price, make sure you find one with good maintenace record most important, don't let the mile scare you, stay away from navaigation on these 98-00. make sure you find one you like, don't just buy it. craiglist is good start. goodluck on your search. the guys and gals on this boards are very helpful, feel free to ask us anything that you might have.

AN

• 4 weeks later...

I wrecked my 2000 LS400 earlier this year and have been heartbroken ever since. My only advice is that you dont insure it through Liberty Mutual. They ripped me off when I submitted my claim. :angry::angry::angry:

Im partial to the 2000 though, because it is the very last LS400 so it has all the subtle updates and perks. Im not certain, but it seems to look slightly different from the previous years. Even down to the internal antenna. Not 100% sure that was new for the 2000 but thats usually how I can tell the difference between 99s and 2000s. Theyre all beautiful but Im partial because its the last 400- CLASSIC.

Uggh... Now Im sad again.

:( Heartbroken J :(

Congradulations on your recent decision to become an owner of one of the finest and most reliable vehicles on earth! I just recently picked up a 1998, which amazingly only had 23K original miles. I must say, over the years I have owned 2 GS's, es, sc, rx, and now my 1st LS, and by far this has been my favorite. I almost purchased an 03 LS430 w/70K a week before I found my LS, and boy am I glad I waited. I have always liked the LS series, but really admired the 98-00 series. As almost all have mentioned, service records/properly maintained vehicle, is key. Best of luck with your search!

:cheers:

Sorry about your loss! Luckily you're okay, cars can be replaced...people cannot.

The 2000 is visually identical to the 1998 and 1999. The only difference is if it has the platinum edition package then there is a special color, one tone paint, special wheels and black pearl badges, special wood inside and a textured leather trim.

The 99-00 also has daytime running lights, the 98 does not.

Any visual difference you're seeing is in your head ;)

I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents. :D

I love my '99. Yes there was a brief moment when I thought of selling it and purchasing a new turbo diesel Jetta for the gas mileage. That spell lasted for for about a minute max. OMG! What was I thinking? What a nightmare.

Well, My LS will be hitting the 100,000 mile mark soon. This calls for a bottle Champagne,.... Does it not?

B)