2004 Rx330 Tranny Fluid Change

carlp2530

Our RX330 uses Toyota Type-IV fluid and we had ours changed at 60K by a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and the tech said the fluid was very dirty and needed changed. I am now changing at 30K intervals. In my opinion, if you want the tranny to last, a drain/fill or flush every 30K will ensure the tranny lasts a long, long time.

If yours calls for WS fluid, I think it is lifetime.

Owners maint manual doesnt address need for tranny fluid change. Dealer/independent mech recommend changing at 60K miles. Lexus has printed band on tranny filler "no need to change transmission fluid".

Need some advice in this matter..who's right???

The earlier RX's (especially with AWD) definitely had a problem. By '04 they had implemented quite a few changes to protect the transmission (thanks to drive by wire). I would go by what the fluid looks like- you know trans. fluid (most) is supposed to be nice and red/pink. If trans. fluid gets dark or dirty at all that means wear is occuring. That's when I would personally change it. If trans. fluid stays nice and pink and doesn't smell burnt at all, I wouldn't get real excited about it, especially if it is synthetic.