Can A New Key Be Programmed On An 02 Rx300 Using Credit Card Key?

cfiiman

According to Lexus USA they say that it can be, every other model can not, but the 02 RX300 can flash a new key using the credit card key in the owners manual. I am having problems with my dealer doing what they said and getting me a key so I called Lexus USA and that is when I was told that the credit card key has the "chip" in it and it will flash new keys. Can someone who knows verify this?

Yes, there is a chip inside the "credit card". Both the card and the key need to be present and close to each other during the programming process. If the dealership doesn't believe you, let them watch you start the car with the credit card key.

Thomas, thanks for your reply, how sure are you on this, b/c my dealership's master technician and head parts guy says that Lexus USA is wrong and I have to have a Master to flash a new key. I totally get what you are saying about the chip being inside the credit card key, but isn't it also inside the valet key I have, and it can not flash new keys, what is the difference? Please let me know. Thanks,

Thomas, thanks for your reply, how sure are you on this, b/c my dealership's master technician and head parts guy says that Lexus USA is wrong and I have to have a Master to flash a new key. I totally get what you are saying about the chip being inside the credit card key, but isn't it also inside the valet key I have, and it can not flash new keys, what is the difference? Please let me know. Thanks,

I am not exactly sure as to the key programming procedure. Cannot remember. But I do know that the car's ECU can be flashed to program additional keys without a master, if the credit card key will not work.

Take a look at this website. www.brandtlocksmiths.com. Read the article on the Lexus section of the site. They are a Kansas City locksmith that is very knowledgeable about Lexus keys and remotes. You may even give them a call, if you have any questions.

I cannot confirm that you can program keys with the credit card, but I can say for sure that there is a way to add keys without a pre-existing master.

I cannot confirm that you can program keys with the credit card, but I can say for sure that there is a way to add keys without a pre-existing master.

Thomas, thanks I will call them tomorrow, the only problem I see is that my dealer has their head up their !Removed! and won't believe anything other than, "the computers have to be switched b/c you HAVE TO HAVE a master key".

Thomas I just visited the site and here is what I read:

The Toyota / Lexus Dilema ----

With the exception of the 1997 LS 400, the first years of transponder based Toyota and Lexus cars had no provision for addiing keys when all keys are lost, or if the owner has only a valet key. The programmed key information is stored in the main computer of the car, and to add additional keys requires an existing programmed master key. If no master key is available, the factory service procedure is to replace the main computer at a cost of $2,000.00. This design proved senseless, and even got some bad press on the national level. The negative publicity regarding the key problem eventualy led them to institute a program of free computer replacement (except labor charges) if this situation occurs, but the program only applies to certain owners.

Keys are lost to cars every day, and necessity led to development of methods to assist vehicle owners when this situation occurs. Specialized technology now allows certain locksmiths to remove the main computer, "reflash" the chip which stores key data, and program new keys to the car. We were the first locksmith in Kansas City to acquire this technology. We now have the most sophisticated equipment available for this process.

The vechicles which need to be reflashed when no keys or only a valet key is present are: '98 -02 4Runner

98-04 Avalon

98-03 Camry

'01-04 Highlander

'98-02 Landcruiser

'00-04 MR2 spyder

'01-02 Sequoia

'98-03 Sienna

'9-03 Solara

'98-04 ES 300

'98-00 GS 400

'01-04 GS 430

'01-04 GS 300

'98-00 LS 400

'99-02 LX 470

'99-03 RX 300

'98-00 SC 300

'98-00 SC 400

'01-04 IS 300

So it appears to me they "can" reflash without a master, can you tell me how in the hell if they can my Lexus dealer can not? That just floors me that a locksmith company has the "technology" and a freaking dealer that actually sells the cars can not? I plan on calling them but this seems outrageous to me that my dealer is telling me it can not be done without switching the computers. Why is there so many conflicting stories on this? Thanks for all your help.

Thomas I just visited the site and here is what I read:

The Toyota / Lexus Dilema ----

With the exception of the 1997 LS 400, the first years of transponder based Toyota and Lexus cars had no provision for addiing keys when all keys are lost, or if the owner has only a valet key. The programmed key information is stored in the main computer of the car, and to add additional keys requires an existing programmed master key. If no master key is available, the factory service procedure is to replace the main computer at a cost of $2,000.00. This design proved senseless, and even got some bad press on the national level. The negative publicity regarding the key problem eventualy led them to institute a program of free computer replacement (except labor charges) if this situation occurs, but the program only applies to certain owners.

Keys are lost to cars every day, and necessity led to development of methods to assist vehicle owners when this situation occurs. Specialized technology now allows certain locksmiths to remove the main computer, "reflash" the chip which stores key data, and program new keys to the car. We were the first locksmith in Kansas City to acquire this technology. We now have the most sophisticated equipment available for this process.

The vechicles which need to be reflashed when no keys or only a valet key is present are: '98 -02 4Runner

98-04 Avalon

98-03 Camry

'01-04 Highlander

'98-02 Landcruiser

'00-04 MR2 spyder

'01-02 Sequoia

'98-03 Sienna

'9-03 Solara

'98-04 ES 300

'98-00 GS 400

'01-04 GS 430

'01-04 GS 300

'98-00 LS 400

'99-02 LX 470

'99-03 RX 300

'98-00 SC 300

'98-00 SC 400

'01-04 IS 300

So it appears to me they "can" reflash without a master, can you tell me how in the hell if they can my Lexus dealer can not? That just floors me that a locksmith company has the "technology" and a freaking dealer that actually sells the cars can not? I plan on calling them but this seems outrageous to me that my dealer is telling me it can not be done without switching the computers. Why is there so many conflicting stories on this? Thanks for all your help.

My guess would be that the dealership does not have the proper equipment to re-flash the ECU, and would rather make more money just replacing it anyway. I know that, at least at our local Lexus dealership, none of the key cutting, etc, is done in house. They send everything off to some out of town place.

The equipment used to re-flash the ECU is expensive and not many locksmiths have it. Brandt Locksmiths is the only place in the Kansas City area I could find that does. If you can't find someone in your area, you may consider removing your ECU and sending it to them...it would still probably be quite a bit cheaper to have it flashed than replaced.

Well, I got a call from another dealership that actually took the time to look into it yesterday, seems like you were right Thomas. They said that the "credit card" key if it has a gold triangle on it (which mine does) that it IS a transponder master key and can reflash other keys. So I called my dealer and talked to parts, and again they acted like I was wrong, so I asked them to please call the other dealer who looked into it and he can tell them the technical in's and out's of it all. Then the parts dept. called me and told me to bring the key out to them so they could check and make sure before they "wasted their time" with it, but it seems like to me it would be a bigger waste of time to swap computers and everything if it didn't have to be done. I just wish they were a little more appreciative of my finding instead of acting arrogant like they know everything. So I am taking it out there today, we'll see if it is what I hope it is.

The dealer most likley does not want to know about this little tidbit they would rather sell a customer a $2000 ECU then just another key. Good for you finding this little known item this could help save members lots of money. You should post this on Club Lexus also.

Maybe the admins could make a stickey out of this also.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Jeff, I agree with you that dealers may want the higher priced business, glad I could be of help to anyone that might run into the same problem.

I bought a used RX300 (2000) with only one key (master) and bought another off eBay. A local locksmith cut the key and was going to program the new key but said their black box would not recognize the ECU. They were so sorry they couldn't do it and didn't charge me for cutting the key. I then went to the dealer and I had the same experience that many on this thread had...they didn't know what they were talking about. The dealer said they could program my new key but after 30 minutes they said my new key was too long and wouldn't work....I argued briefly but left without the new key programed. I switched the electronics into the new key case and it worked just fine but I still have only one working key that will start the car. I understand there is a way to clear the ECU of the additional programed keys (only programs 4 additional keys I'm read somewhere).

Anyone know how or where I might find this info?

Thanks in advance,

Thom

You can program up to 10 keys (7 master and 3 valet). The long key shouldn't be a problem as it has worked for others. You need to verify that your master key is actually programmed as a master and not a valet key. The difference being that a master key will allow you to enter programming mode and a valet key (or a master programmed as a valet will not). Also you should be able to handle the programming yourself without any need for a black box. Try this first and post back. Your security light should be flashing as you car sits idle without a key near the ignition. If you insert a master key (without turning) the the light should go out immediately. If you insert a valet key the light will pause on for about 1 second then go out.

I'll just give an update since this thread got bumped. My new master/transponder key came in at the dealer, my salesman (which is laughable how little he knows about these cars) said the key was done and to come pick it up, and I said well it is cut but not programmed. "oh no, it is completely ready to go", I just laughed and said ok, and of course it was NOT programmed as there is no way to do it without a master, but anyway...So their techs take 30 minutes working on the car and then the service manager comes out and says "well I think this is going to take a long time, these older rx's (mine is an 02) have special keys that "this and that" BS and I said, well, I can show you several places on the internet where people can do it in their driveway in a couple of minutes so I am not sure what you are talking about, and she says "those are only on new rx's" and I said "no, it can be done on all of them", so anyway about an hour later I get my car with a working master/transponder thank goodness, so I now have the master/transponder a valet, and the master credit card key. I am going to get another master/transp. and valet off ebay and have them cut at a local locksmith and then program them myself. It is amazing to me though how everyone I have run into at this dealer, from my salesman to parts, to serice, to parts and service managers and even technicians seem to just make up what is wrong when that do not know, or are stuck on coming up with the correct way to do things, I hope this isn't how they are on everything but it sure was on the keys, sheesh <_<

cfiiman,

I don't know if I'm having deja vu or something, but was this topic on another thread about a recently acquired RX300 and the dealer had promised you a new master key? If so, given what I just read earlier on this thread, was the dealer going to charge you for the computer swap? or were they going to honor the verbal agreement. Anyways, I'm glad it was finally sorted out.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then I'm sorry but I've got this thread completely confused with something else.

Regards

Yes that was me, and they draged it way out past what they said, but I started calling him everyday and he finally got it worked out. They were not going to charge me for the computers (which we ended up not doing obviously) but I had to stay on them.

V,

I can not recommend one, however I have looked at several and I am just going to buy one with good feedback from other buyers of the RX300 keys. The one I recently had made is OEM straight from Lexus with my dealer flipping the bill, if anyone else knows a reputable source on ebay it would be appreciated as opposed to "best guess" with feedback. My dealer quoted me 250 + labor to get another master, hahahahaha, yeah right that is robbery!