90 K Maintenance And Leaking Water Pump Story

Howdy Gang!

Took my 1999 GS 400 with 86,000 miles into the Toyota Dealer. Orginally was just going to get a tune up after reading countless threads about the pros and cons of doing a "major maintence". Change out the water pump with the timing belt?..no they last a long time ..why replace a good part...etc. Opted to get the timing belt and water pump done and requested the serpentine belt as well. Orginal estimate for t belt, water pump, and tune up was $1,090. Not too bad I thought. Got a call a few hours later with the news the water pump was leaking(they took pictures on a cell phone) so it was a good call to have included that. Also said I had heavy build up of carbon and crap in the fuel injector system and throttle something or other ($65) to clean that up. They said tensioner belt and idler pulleys not noisey but my call as to whether to change them out too( sure why not what's another 2-300$) as long as they have my baby torn apart. Asked about cam seals and was advised those don't often leak and if a seals sealing ..leave well enough alone ( so I did). Final bill $1619. All OEM parts new plugs yada, yada. Service manager also advised against Toyota Red antifreeze as it has salt in it that will actually hasten leaks even though I read threads by people praising it's vitures as a great lubricator and protectant. So that's my story. Glad I didn't wait another year or 10,000 miles even though the car was running perfectly. I had bought it last year and had only sckety service records on it. So I figure ( hope!) i'm good for another 10 yrs of happy trouble free hauling !Removed!! B)

Howdy Gang!

Took my 1999 GS 400 with 86,000 miles into the Toyota Dealer. Orginally was just going to get a tune up after reading countless threads about the pros and cons of doing a "major maintence". Change out the water pump with the timing belt?..no they last a long time ..why replace a good part...etc. Opted to get the timing belt and water pump done and requested the serpentine belt as well. Orginal estimate for t belt, water pump, and tune up was $1,090. Not too bad I thought. Got a call a few hours later with the news the water pump was leaking(they took pictures on a cell phone) so it was a good call to have included that. Also said I had heavy build up of carbon and crap in the fuel injector system and throttle something or other ($65) to clean that up. They said tensioner belt and idler pulleys not noisey but my call as to whether to change them out too( sure why not what's another 2-300$) as long as they have my baby torn apart. Asked about cam seals and was advised those don't often leak and if a seals sealing ..leave well enough alone ( so I did). Final bill $1619. All OEM parts new plugs yada, yada. Service manager also advised against Toyota Red antifreeze as it has salt in it that will actually hasten leaks even though I read threads by people praising it's vitures as a great lubricator and protectant. So that's my story. Glad I didn't wait another year or 10,000 miles even though the car was running perfectly. I had bought it last year and had only sckety service records on it. So I figure ( hope!) i'm good for another 10 yrs of happy trouble free hauling !Removed!! B)

This ought to make all the weekend mechanics out there very happy. Just did everything mentioned here for $450 in parts (including new thermostat, lower hose, air filter), OEM parts from Irontoad. A weekend mechanic could make between $100 and $200/hr doing this job! Sure beats the minimum wage I normally make working on cars. I guess it helps to be working on a Lex though.

Howdy Gang!

This ought to make all the weekend mechanics out there very happy. Just did everything mentioned here for $450 in parts (including new thermostat, lower hose, air filter), OEM parts from Irontoad. A weekend mechanic could make between $100 and $200/hr doing this job! Sure beats the minimum wage I normally make working on cars. I guess it helps to be working on a Lex though.

Yeah but I've got clean finger nails and someone to back too if something :D f's up. I went to a newer Toyota place in Santee by Fanita and Mission Gorge. Good guys