1997 Sc400 Lurches While Driving

Janie Marie

I have a 1997 Sc400 with about 107K miles, and just recently had my timing belt and water pump changed. The other day after driving for quite a while, I was sitting at a light uphill and my engine shut off. I was able to turn it back on with no 'clicking' or hesitation. I drove for a few miles, and then noticed that, intermittantly, my car would 'lurch' at low speeds when I was starting out from a stop. It didn't happen every time from a stop. I took it to a mom-and-pop shop for just a diagnostic, and the mechanics who drove it said that it's probably a transmission problem and something abo9ut dropping from 2nd to 1st gear. They said that it might not get worse for awhile.

The next day in the morning, I took my car out and after normal driving including stopping and slowing for about 2 minutes, the car started to lurch when I was around 40 or 50 mph. If I slowed down, it would still do it. It sometimes lurched once, or two times, or three. But it didn't do it every time I slowed or stopped on my way back home.

Now, my car is sitting in the garage, and I'm wondering what the heck is going on. Can it be a transmission problem, or maybe something else? I have a trustworthy friend who's a Toyota Master Mechanic, and so the car will go to him (or someone that he refers me to). Any ideas in the meantime?

I think the problem is with your torque converter being locked up. What it's doing is the car is wanting to shift, but the transmission won't let it do that, so the car lurches forward fighting the torque. I dont' think I explained it right, but I know that sounds like the problem. What I would do is take it to a shop that specializes in automatics, usually there's one around that you can take it to. They'll be able to tell you rather quickly if that's the problem or not. But I definetly do think that the problem is with the transmission it's self. I wish I could give you more info.. Sorry, Hope the little info that I did give helps. I'm sure if someone else has something else to add they will.