Rx Shudder - Totally Insane Problem - Freaking Me Out!

CitizenPete

You obviously have more experience (re: seals) than I have - I don't know any car (other than this Lexus model) where the rear engine seals 'go' (even when engines overheated), so I'm on track with the 'hot crankcase/hardened material' theory. Be that as it may, you are certainly very right in the need to find a good mechanic, whether independent or dealer, that is not too expensive. It is the dream of the owner of every older car. Not so easy, though. The obvious answer is to go with long(er) warranties and newer cars....

Its just something that happens to older cars. You're reading about it here, look around elsewhere.

I'm SURE there is a good independent Lexus mechanic in Miami...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously have more experience (re: seals) than I have - I don't know any car (other than this Lexus model) where the rear engine seals 'go' (even when engines overheated), so I'm on track with the 'hot crankcase/hardened material' theory. Be that as it may, you are certainly very right in the need to find a good mechanic, whether independent or dealer, that is not too expensive. It is the dream of the owner of every older car. Not so easy, though. The obvious answer is to go with long(er) warranties and newer cars....

Its just something that happens to older cars. You're reading about it here, look around elsewhere.

I'm SURE there is a good independent Lexus mechanic in Miami...

I hope there is, but I was lucky enough not to really need one until recently. The car is in Traverse City (MI), where we intended to keep it in the future - AWD, heated seats etc.... are of less usefulness in FL than in MI. But you're right - a good independent is the way to go. Thanks!

Lucas, Prince of Darkness- I like that, Paul. How very true. I always heard that if you bought a British car, you bought 2. That way you would always have 1 to drive when the other was in the shop. LOL :)

Yes, and the British motorbikes used to leak oil with or without provocation. I remember when the first Japanese motorbikes came out, we would (in Europe) comment on how they lacked excitement but were amazing because "They don't leak oil!". The world has certainly changed. Now we comment about the Korean cars that they lack excitement 'but what great warranties!'. Next in line will be the Indian and the Chinese... Talking of which, I saw the Hyundai Vera Cruz (that blk_on_blk had mentioned and was impressed with the progress they made. Too big for me, though, but certainly a contender for some, and very reasonably priced.

The thought of Indian and Chinese cars more scares me than excites me. Have you ever seen the crash tests of the Chinese "Cherry" I believe it is called. A car they are hoping to market here. That just folds up and keeps folding up. You don't have to buy a casket for the buriel, they just bury you in the car. Absolutely scarey. I remember the 1st. Hyundai's. Incredibly unimpressive. But I saw a story on TV about a year or two ago by a top Hyundai guy and they have a 10 year plan to be a world leader in the automotive field and having spent my life in automotive, I can tell you with their reliability record and design and engineering, they are on track to do it. They are serious about it. They have kicked MB in the pants for a # of years in the least problems area.

But I saw a story on TV about a year or two ago by a top Hyundai guy and they have a 10 year plan to be a world leader in the automotive field and having spent my life in automotive, I can tell you with their reliability record and design and engineering, they are on track to do it. They are serious about it. They have kicked MB in the pants for a # of years in the least problems area.

Everyone has kicked MB in the pants for several years now. I'm still tempted by the Santa Fe with its engine/drivetrain warranty. I liked the handling (though nothing special) and the transmission was much smoother than the RX. MPG could be better. I haven't seen one yet, but from what I've read the new Genesis should be interesting.

But I saw a story on TV about a year or two ago by a top Hyundai guy and they have a 10 year plan to be a world leader in the automotive field and having spent my life in automotive, I can tell you with their reliability record and design and engineering, they are on track to do it. They are serious about it. They have kicked MB in the pants for a # of years in the least problems area.

Everyone has kicked MB in the pants for several years now. I'm still tempted by the Santa Fe with its engine/drivetrain warranty. I liked the handling (though nothing special) and the transmission was much smoother than the RX. MPG could be better. I haven't seen one yet, but from what I've read the new Genesis should be interesting.

I saw the Vera Cruz (did not drive it), the Santa Fe and the Tucson (drove both) over the past weekend. The VC looks good. The SF and T are not quite as refined as they could be, but I would estimate they are only one generation away, i.e. 3 years or so, from being as good as any. I was unable to see/drive a Genesis, but a friend was going to lease one, then the dealership said they were not bound by the 'special' from Hyundai (there is so much demand for the car), and they lost the customer, probably forever. He was amazed at quality/price ratio of the Genesis. Also for lesser cars (the Accent), I believe they are practically 'there' in packaging and quality for the price. Warranties are great (5yr+10yr. powertrain). They do need to upgrade their dealerships, though, and separate their 'upscale' products from the lesser ones, 'a la' Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Accord, VW/Audi. The KIA line seems less evolved, though the new Sportage has very nice packaging and is an interesting (smaller) size. Of course, they have the Toyota models to follow, and it may be more difficult for them to take the lead after they match them. We found the current Mitsubishi Outlander a very nice effort too, and the aesthetics very pleasing.

My brother-in-law has a new Mitsu Outlander down in Cuernavaca... and I have to say it's quite impressive. We took a day trip in it, and it's a well rounded vehicle... even has paddle shifters if I remember correctly. Not found too often in a crossover (and don't really know how useful that would be). It's on our list for a replacement vehicle if/when we decide to change up a vehicle.

I've also been looking at the Hyundai Tucson for my mother. My father recently passed and my mother wants something smaller, but easy to drive. It's down to either the Hyundai or a CR-V. I think they are pretty equivalent (slightly used), but for the same money one can get a newer Tucson vs. the CR-V. She likes our RX, but I wouldn't recommend one to her with the transmission/reliability concerns. She wants something a little more simple and dependable. After reading reviews off Edmunds.com and CarSurvey.org, I'm leaning toward an older CR-V (~2003), even though there's the concern with the A/C compressors. As nearly everyone would agree, every car manufacturer has issues with their products... some more than others, but since all vehicles are mechanical and electrical, there will be issues... guaranteed.

My brother-in-law has a new Mitsu Outlander down in Cuernavaca... and I have to say it's quite impressive. We took a day trip in it, and it's a well rounded vehicle... even has paddle shifters if I remember correctly. Not found too often in a crossover (and don't really know how useful that would be). It's on our list for a replacement vehicle if/when we decide to change up a vehicle.

I've also been looking at the Hyundai Tucson for my mother. My father recently passed and my mother wants something smaller, but easy to drive. It's down to either the Hyundai or a CR-V. I think they are pretty equivalent (slightly used), but for the same money one can get a newer Tucson vs. the CR-V. She likes our RX, but I wouldn't recommend one to her with the transmission/reliability concerns. She wants something a little more simple and dependable. After reading reviews off Edmunds.com and CarSurvey.org, I'm leaning toward an older CR-V (~2003), even though there's the concern with the A/C compressors. As nearly everyone would agree, every car manufacturer has issues with their products... some more than others, but since all vehicles are mechanical and electrical, there will be issues... guaranteed.

The RX is larger than both the CRV and the Tucson. Different kind of car. We liked that the Tucson could have a V6 (we tried the 'top of line' model) and find the used CRVs very expensive here in Miami. It also appears that very few Tucson's are purchased with Moonroof. The Outlander is the same price (here Miami) or less than the CRV, and, again 'top' models, very nice. The used ones - and the new ones, too, actually - are very heavily discounted. Points we did not like with the Outlander were - uneven finishing/ road noise (probably due to Yokohama tires)/slight torque steering on acceleration for the 2WD. The RX is a nicer car than all those models, but - as you point out - reliability is the concern. Let me know what you decide.