Help With Tires, Please

I need tires for '06 GS300. I only got about 21K miles out of the original Yokohamas, despite the fact that I drive like an old lady.

Went to local tire place and they stated that since it is "W"-speed rated, they strongly recommended that I not go down in speed rating, to say "H" or "V"-rated tires, as it would pose a safety risk. He stated that the car is engineered for a certain rated tire and changing it would not be safe. He did say I could move to a higher speed rating, but not a lower one. Is that true or false?

Several issues. There is slim pickins for tires in this category compared to other categories. Additionally, they are all soft and not warranteed for mileage and likely will not last any longer than the originals. Also, they are all quite pricey. He recommended Dunlop Signature SP Sport for $550 for four, which was by far the cheapest of the options given to me.

Safety is important, as is longevity, to me. Performance is not incredibly important, assuming it won't be a dramatic change. Appreciate any advice anyone wants to offer.

I need tires for '06 GS300. I only got about 21K miles out of the original Yokohamas, despite the fact that I drive like an old lady.

Went to local tire place and they stated that since it is "W"-speed rated, they strongly recommended that I not go down in speed rating, to say "H" or "V"-rated tires, as it would pose a safety risk. He stated that the car is engineered for a certain rated tire and changing it would not be safe. He did say I could move to a higher speed rating, but not a lower one. Is that true or false?

Several issues. There is slim pickins for tires in this category compared to other categories. Additionally, they are all soft and not warranteed for mileage and likely will not last any longer than the originals. Also, they are all quite pricey. He recommended Dunlop Signature SP Sport for $550 for four, which was by far the cheapest of the options given to me.

Safety is important, as is longevity, to me. Performance is not incredibly important, assuming it won't be a dramatic change. Appreciate any advice anyone wants to offer.

pfrass,

you will be fine with V rated tires. As a matter of fact, the 17" tires that came stock on the 06 GS300 were 225/50VR-17.

steviej

Actually, the rating is ZR, according to this website, which is higher than "V". Many tire places are apparently unwilling to mount tires of a lesser rating than the original tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=1

I am taking this right out of the 2006 GS Sales Brochure and off the side of my stock tire that has been on the car since it rolled out the showroom.

18x8.0- in alloy wheels with 245/40ZR18.

Optional tires: 245/40VR18 all-season run-flat tires (GS430).

17x7.5-in alloy wheels with 225/50VR17 tires.

Optional tires: 225/50VR17 all-season run-flat tires (GS300 RWD).

17x7.5-in alloy wheels with 225/50VR17 all-season run-flat tires (GS300 AWD).

As I said earlier. V rated tires will be fine.

steviej

I see... sorry to have doubted you. The AWD and RWD vehicles obviously come with different rated tires then. Here again, the place I was looking to purchase has policy to not put on lower rated tires than original equipment, though. He gave me the impression that this is industry practice.

Most tire shops anymore will not mount tires that are below the speed rating listed on the drivers doorjamb. That rating is the tire that shipped on that particular vehicle, so if it shipped with Z rated tires (I didn't think any GS shipped with W rated tires...) it will say Z on the doorjamb. So the shop won't care if other GS vehicles came with V rated tires.

Now, I have always tried to stay with the factory speed rating, but I really don't think you'd be looking at a safety issue going with V...even H rated tires. My car shipped with Vs and I'm replacing them with H rated Michelins next week to save $40 per tire. I wouldn't go below H rated tires.

BUT the reality of the situation is you may not be able to find a local shop that will sell you lower speed rated tires.

The solution? Buy them online! Click the tirerack link at the top of the forums. Choose a local installer, they will ship them there and the installer will mount them and do the alignment.

I've ordered many sets of tires from TireRack, they are almost always cheaper (especially now), no sales tax (although you have to ship them), and the installer shops you choose are usually higher end import shops that will do a better job than NTB, etc.

Its a win-win.

One thing to bear in mind, I assume you have the 18" wheels. You're going to have crappy tire life, it comes with the territory on low profile tires. They are also going to be really expensive. Good tires are important on a Lexus, a lot of the smooth quiet ride is dependent on the tires.

If it were my car and you weren't interested in driving it aggressively this is the tire I would put on it:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=V