Gs400 Valentine One Radar Install

Just got a cherry '98 GS 400 w/ 95k miles and am in love again. A new California law stipulates that no car can have anything attached to the front windshield (like suction cups).

I want to install my butt-saving Valentine One radar detector and was wondering if anyone has a brilliant idea, or experience, with this.

Dash top Velcro was suggested, but that will look ugly when I put the detector away to discourage theft.

Valentine says the unit wants to be as high as possible, with a clear front/back 'view,' below any window shade tinting.

The visor might be a possibility, except it occasionally moves over to the driver's side window.

I will have the power wire run inside the dash or ceiling to where ever the unit finally resides because I hate ugly curly cords I have to fight when reaching for some control or drink. I love a 'clean machine.'

Open for any suggestions about the Valentine One placement or mounting bracket.

Thanks in advance, all.

- M.E.

ditch it and buy a K40

http://k40.com/home_main.html

worth every penny and built into the dash cluster

brian

Well www.rockymountainradar.com has a system that can be installed under your hood, for total stealth, this system also blocks radar & laser, you'll be a gost on the road.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
What new law?? I'm in Calli too and I see hundreds of GPS' stuck to the front window shields...Could be one of those laws just to give the Po Po a valid reason to shake you down? :angry:

Not believing what I heard, while doing some biz at the DMV, I asked a CA CHP about using a 'GPS device' in my car. "Illegal? YES," is the answer. Whatever you are seeing IS illegal (just like people still talking on their cellular handsets). The law came into effect, I figure, as a method to hastle the radar detector owners - kind of piggy backing on the GPS craze.

The CHP officer told me they often use velco to attach things to their dashboards. So I had Tap Plastics make a small acrylic shelf and I now velco the Valentine One to it, and velco that to the dasboard. I ran the wire along where the front windshield meets the dashboard, down and tucked into the dashboard by the driver's door hinge, and up underneath for attachment to the fuse block and ground. All works well and looks clean as a whistle. I used to wire recording studios - I hate seeing wires.

The Valentine has paid for itself many times over since my purchase in 1999. The science works because the antenna is 'as high as it can be,' looking forward and backward rather than behind a grill where another vehicle may block a radar signal. So far, laser has not been an issue. I still am on constant lookout even with the detector on. Can't be too safe.

my dad has had a valentine one for like 10 years now......he loves it. just with all the new technology i will stick with something up to date like the k40! so is it just aftermarket gps's illegal surely they cant mean factory ones too?

brian

my dad has had a valentine one for like 10 years now......he loves it. just with all the new technology i will stick with something up to date like the k40! so is it just aftermarket gps's illegal surely they cant mean factory ones too?

brian

Factory originals are OK. The after market hold-your-GPS-screen-(or radar detector)-on-the-windshield-with-suction-cups versions are NOT OK.

My internet homework to find an objective A/B comparison of radar detectors did not reveal a clear-cut winner over Valentine. He does upgrades to keep current with improving bogey technology.

My electronics engineering background leads me to know that a radar detector (simply an antenna w/ amplifier and LED read-outs) placed higher, rather than lower, is better.