02 Sc430 Radio Issues. 1) Random Blaring 2) 1 Sec Cut Outs Every 10 Se

Frankly

So I have heard that the Lexus has some radio problems. The dealership had not heard of my specific problems, so I thought I'd ask here.

1) Random Blaring. If I turn down the radio to a low volume, it will sometimes (once a week) blare at full volume with no notice. Practically driving me off the road. Any idea what this is? An amp problem? The Volume control? How do I fix it? New Amp? New lexus, new off market radio?

2) Radio Cut out.

Only half the stations (above 100) will cut out for a second every 10 seconds. So it will sound fine and then gone, then fine, then gone.

I think it might be an antennae issue, as I'm not sure it is going all the way up. Is this something I can fix?

Help!

Thanks

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
So I have heard that the Lexus has some radio problems. The dealership had not heard of my specific problems, so I thought I'd ask here.

1) Random Blaring. If I turn down the radio to a low volume, it will sometimes (once a week) blare at full volume with no notice. Practically driving me off the road. Any idea what this is? An amp problem? The Volume control? How do I fix it? New Amp? New lexus, new off market radio?

2) Radio Cut out.

Only half the stations (above 100) will cut out for a second every 10 seconds. So it will sound fine and then gone, then fine, then gone.

I think it might be an antennae issue, as I'm not sure it is going all the way up. Is this something I can fix?

Help!

Thanks

Frank

Frank - I have had the exact same problem with mine. I have not had the random blaring but the radio cut out. What I have noticed that when it happens it only happens if I am using a preset radio station. If I tune to the station manually the cut out stops. I would then reset the preset station and it will work fine for awhile. Like you I am clueless as to the cause.

Have both problems with my 2002 radio. It's a known issue with the amp, which Lexus will replace if the car is under warrantee. The blarring only happens when I use the handlebar volume control to adjust the volume. On occasion it'll just blast at the top volume. It's a real ear popper when it happens.

• 5 weeks later...

Dumb question, but are you possibly hitting the "set" button on your steering wheel? If it's preset at it's highest volume, when you hit it, it'll jump like you explain... many times the "set" button is preset to the highest volume level by the dealer (on purpose, maybe?). To change the volume level on the "set" button, just find the level you want it to jump to and them hold the "set" button till it beeps and let go.

2) Radio Cut out.

Help!

Thanks

Frank

Frank - I have had the exact same problem with mine. I have not had the random blaring but the radio cut out. What I have noticed that when it happens it only happens if I am using a preset radio station. If I tune to the station manually the cut out stops. I would then reset the preset station and it will work fine for awhile. Like you I am clueless as to the cause.

Hi Frank, I had a similar problem on my last car. I was caused an intermittent connector inside the radio. The radio uses modular construction, and all the various sub assemblies are interconnected with very small multi-pin connectors. If one of the pins becoms tarnished of dirty, an intermittent connection may result. To fix my radio, I removed it from the car, opened the case, and applied an electrical continuity compound to each of the connectors. I did this without un-pluging the connectors. I just sprayed the stuff on the connectors, and it wicked into the pins. The The product that worked for me was "Caig DeoxIt DP5" Most good electrical supply stores stock it, or it can be found with a Google search.

Good luck, John