Navigation System Update

SunnySDRX350

I recently spent a few hundred dollars on a Navigation System "update". This was in response to a

post card sent by Lexus. I inquired if the newer highways & streets in my southern California area were be included.

I was told that they would be...so I spent the money to "Update" my system. I can not believe that

there are streets and highways that are NOT on the update that are many years old.

As soon as I realized these areas were not on the system, I called my dealerto inquire if they had actually made the

update. They said it had been and I was instructed to call the 800 phone number at the Complaint Department at Lexus.

I wanted to know what had been actually updated in the update. I personally don't need updates in Iowa or Texas and I am upset that

I paid A LOT of money for something that has NO benefit to me.

I think this was a total rip off by Lexus. Ironically, my friend recently updated her Honda navigation system and it has all of the streets

that are missing on the Lexus navigation system.

I took my car in for service today and inquired again about the bogus update.

Again, I was told to talk to the Complaint Department at Lexus. This is a catch 22

and I hope no one else falls for the bogus update like I did.

Come on Lexus should do better on this and for it's customers. Know what is being updated so your

customers can make an educated decision to spend a large chunk of change for something that is virtually worthless.

Anyone have the same problem? Oh, and my friend can also use her system while the car is driving...mine can only be

accessed at a stop. What's with that???? I think I might go Honda or Acura if Lexus can't get it's act together...actually

my husband's new phone has a better navigation system than my RX350, at least it is updated and accurate!

I would guess that your RX350 had version 6.1 installed. They should have looked at what towns and cities were updated since your release to the newest 7.1 version. Since they specifically told you that the streets in your area were going to be included on the update (which they weren't), the dealer would be responsible for the error and not Lexus.

I recently spent a few hundred dollars on a Navigation System "update". This was in response to a

post card sent by Lexus. I inquired if the newer highways & streets in my southern California area were be included.

I was told that they would be...so I spent the money to "Update" my system. I can not believe that

there are streets and highways that are NOT on the update that are many years old.

As soon as I realized these areas were not on the system, I called my dealerto inquire if they had actually made the

update. They said it had been and I was instructed to call the 800 phone number at the Complaint Department at Lexus.

I wanted to know what had been actually updated in the update. I personally don't need updates in Iowa or Texas and I am upset that

I think this was a total rip off by Lexus. Ironically, my friend recently updated her Honda navigation system and it has all of the streets

Again, I was told to talk to the Complaint Department at Lexus. This is a catch 22

Come on Lexus should do better on this and for it's customers. Know what is being updated so your

customers can make an educated decision to spend a large chunk of change for something that is virtually worthless.

Anyone have the same problem? Oh, and my friend can also use her system while the car is driving...mine can only be

accessed at a stop. What's with that???? I think I might go Honda or Acura if Lexus can't get it's act together...actually

my husband's new phone has a better navigation system than my RX350, at least it is updated and accurate!

By chance were you a former BMW or Honda owner? I bet you talk on your phone, do you hair and makeup while you're driving correct?

Lexus dis-engages the ability to work the nav while the vehicle is in motion....this is called a safety feature. Why would they do something that ridiculous? Because they don't want you to crash up such a beautiful vehicle while you're trying to enter the address in for your hairdresser.

Personally I like that feature although at times it is bothersome. But in all honesty, I don't want the responsibility knowing that I drove into a bunch of kids crossing the street because I was trying to enter in a location on my nav.....

I recently upgraded my Nav system after receiving the postcard. I am not convinced that it was really necessary. I was trying to get the address of a store that I knew was in a nearby town and it just kept coming up...street does not exist, etc. I was finally able to get the information when I was about 2 blocks away. Big help. Personally, I think it is a rip off and I would not do it again.

By chance were you a former BMW or Honda owner? I bet you talk on your phone, do you hair and makeup while you're driving correct?

Lexus dis-engages the ability to work the nav while the vehicle is in motion....this is called a safety feature. Why would they do something that ridiculous? Because they don't want you to crash up such a beautiful vehicle while you're trying to enter the address in for your hairdresser.

Personally I like that feature although at times it is bothersome. But in all honesty, I don't want the responsibility knowing that I drove into a bunch of kids crossing the street because I was trying to enter in a location on my nav.....

Not sure what your deal is or why you have to be so nasty and assuming! NO I am NOT a former BMW owner and I don't talk on the phone,

wear make-up and do my hair in the car! What is behind your nasty comment about driving into a bunch of kids...Who are you and why do you

think you can make such nasty comments to someone you don't even know? Grow up and think before you write something nasty that has no

relation what so ever to what the issue.

C'mon kids...play nice. You're both to blame, bokchoy was out of line but the OP was asking for it with her overly critical post. You gotta understand...this is a Lexus enthusiast site and when you post really negative critical things you're going to rile people up. Asking for advice and being frustrated is fine...but don't take that frustration out on us.

The updates don't need to be done every year, if you have version 5.1 or 6.1 I wouldn't upgrade to 7.1. Lexus releases areas where the nav database has been improved when they release the new discs. Your dealer probably doesn't know what they are talking about. For one they don't release what is upgraded by street, they release enhancements by area. so if the dealer told you specific streets were there, they wouldn't know that. Once the system has been updated it cannot be put back to the old disc so you can't return the update, but I bet you can get a refund or service credit at the dealer since they gave you bad info. Version 8.1 comes out next month (bet they didn't tell you that either) and it will make the update you just bought obsolete...maybe you can get them to give you that as a replacement...

When you say the system doesn't have the streets, do you mean the streets specifically don't exist on the map so when you are driving its blank or does it just not have them when you're entering a destination? Sometimes you have to enter the city first.

I've upgraded my nav system twice since the car was new and have been satisfied both times...but I waited for upgrades that dealt with my areas and my area is almost completely there anyways...

As for the lockout, Acura/Honda is one of only a couple companies that do not lockout nav functions when moving. Almost everyone else does. Lawyers are everywhere...its a reality of the world we live in. I for one have no problem putting my destination in before I leave. As for the maps...they're probably the same or similar maps. There are only a couple companies that do map data for these things, if this year's Honda update has those streets, I bet Lexus' will next year. Next year's update for Lexus comes out next month.

Not sure what your deal is or why you have to be so nasty and assuming! NO I am NOT a former BMW owner and I don't talk on the phone,

wear make-up and do my hair in the car! What is behind your nasty comment about driving into a bunch of kids...Who are you and why do you

think you can make such nasty comments to someone you don't even know? Grow up and think before you write something nasty that has no

Clearly you either can't read or you can't comprehend.

Let me make this simple for you....

I read your post.

Jist of it, you aren't happy with the navigation update and the fact Lexus locks out their nav system when moving. Next time you'll buy a Honda/Acura becuase they offer that feature. If Lexus doesn't get their stuff together...you are going to walk.

Again....my response.

What is the big deal about the nav system being disabled when driving? This is called a SAFETY feature. Why do they have SAFETY features? So people like you who drive and like to fiddle with their nav systems can't. Why? Because Lexus thought it was a better idea to have the driver pull over completly, make a full stop and start modifying destinations. This is so the user has to do one of the following:

1. Do what you're supposed to do when driving....PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD AND NOT FIDDLE AROUND.

or

2. Modify your nav destinations when stopped so there isn't a chance you look away for a second and take something or someone out.

Get it?

And yes...i did think before I wrote my orignal reply to you. I stopped and thought about how ignorant you are complaining about a safety feature that could potentially save lives...like your own. And after reading what you wrote and thinking about it.....i think YOU need to grow up and pay attention to the road instead of trying to navigate while you drive.

I have a BMW as well as 2 Lexus'....all I can say is after being a BMW owner and reading the numerous douchebag posts on the BMW forums....your ignorant attitude fits in the same category as the typical BMW driver. I was reading a post a couple days ago actually on a BMW forum...it was about how ever since this person bought BMW, they've become a much better driver....HAHAHA. It made me think of you!!!!!

Sell the Lex and buy a BMW.

Clearly you either can't read or you can't comprehend.

Let me make this simple for you....

I read your post.

Jist of it, you aren't happy with the navigation update and the fact Lexus locks out their nav system when moving. Next time you'll buy a Honda/Acura becuase they offer that feature. If Lexus doesn't get their stuff together...you are going to walk.

Again....my response.

What is the big deal about the nav system being disabled when driving? This is called a SAFETY feature. Why do they have SAFETY features? So people like you who drive and like to fiddle with their nav systems can't. Why? Because Lexus thought it was a better idea to have the driver pull over completly, make a full stop and start modifying destinations. This is so the user has to do one of the following:

1. Do what you're supposed to do when driving....PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD AND NOT FIDDLE AROUND.

or

2. Modify your nav destinations when stopped so there isn't a chance you look away for a second and take something or someone out.

Get it?

And yes...i did think before I wrote my orignal reply to you. I stopped and thought about how ignorant you are complaining about a safety feature that could potentially save lives...like your own. And after reading what you wrote and thinking about it.....i think YOU need to grow up and pay attention to the road instead of trying to navigate while you drive.

I have a BMW as well as 2 Lexus'....all I can say is after being a BMW owner and reading the numerous douchebag posts on the BMW forums....your ignorant attitude fits in the same category as the typical BMW driver. I was reading a post a couple days ago actually on a BMW forum...it was about how ever since this person bought BMW, they've become a much better driver....HAHAHA. It made me think of you!!!!!

Sell the Lex and buy a BMW.

bokch0y, Your out of line here. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's completely another to belittle, and berate someone. You were asked by SW03ES nicely already. Please find a way to disagree in a positive manner. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I happen to agree that the lock out feature isn't much of a hassle. But I can understand their point of view and respect it.

The irony here is that your post displays the exact condescending elitist attitude you seem to deplore.

Yes the upgrades are ridiculously expensive, and the maps aren't that good. Only thing I don't understand is why. There are really only two digital map makers in the world, Navteq and Telenav. They provide the digital maps to car manufacturers, portable gps devices, cellphones, and online mapping services. Not sure what complaining to Lexus will get you except maybe some freebies. I doubt the maps will get fixed any faster as some old streets never seem to get added. Any map discrepencies should be sent to the above mentioned companies. Complaining here or to Lexus is not going to get the maps fixed any faster.

b0kchoy, you need to learn when to step back and look at what you're saying and keep your debates with other members from becoming personal. You made several personal value judgements about this member which was out of line, as was your entire tone.

Last warning...knock it off.

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone with a GEN 5 Nav system consider using/ making their own hybrid disc. This will allow the use of all the features while moving.

My two cents...

T

Question, I have a 2004 RX330. Where the heck is the nav unit itself that contains the disc? I got the following advice to some other owner and did not find it helpful at all: "Open your trunk, remove the carpeting and open the slot for hte CD disk (on the right side). I would take out the disc and put it back in, hopefully it resets itself?"

I opened my trunk, removed the carpeting and did not see the slot for hte CD disk.