Dealer Oil Change Experiences

blake918

I had a Toyota dealer change my oil yesterday; they treated my well and the service was quick. However, when I got home, I poped the hood to make sure they put the cap back on(it happened once on another car) and there was oil all over the place by the filter as well as smoke. I guessing it is from when they took the filter off. Has anyone had this problem too? Should I have gone back to yell at them?

:cheers:

I definitely had this problem with my '94 ES whenever my Lexus dealer changed the oil. That's why I decided to to this maintenance myself, more carefully. The main problem is the location and angle of the oil filter. Some oil can spill onto the crossmembers and the exhaust manifold. The hot exhaust burns up this oil residue and you see or smell smoke. After a while it'll burn off and everything will be OK.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking; I just wanted to double check! What did you use to clean the oil off of the chassis? When I first saw oil down, there I thought I had an oil leak. But, after this oil change, it all makes sense now....when they change the filter, it drips everywhere. What a relief!

:cheers:

Actually, all I used was a rag to sop up the oil on the chassis, but if you want you can put gasoline or an oil solvent on the rag to really clean up the spilled oil better. I might add, be careful doing this because some oil solvents or gasoline are very flammable. :rolleyes:

I'm with you, they suck at the dealer, or the lube shop! If I have to go there, I usually end up watching them to make sure the clean it up. If they make a mess, I make them go wash it with the pressure washer (off the front crossmember). Can't trust em'!! You know what they say, "If you want a job done right, you have to ...!"

thats for sure!

just dry up the excess oil with a rag because unless your planning and cleaning the whole motor then using gunk or something like it will make the smell even worse until the burns off unless you wash it with water.best bet is to just do like amf said and use a rag.