Did We Ruin Our Dashboard?!

sjkRX330

:cries:

We were cleaning the inside of our brand new (to us) RX330 and used Armorall on the dash, just like we've done with every other car we've had. It would not blend in...Wondering if the dash was too hot? So, we just used soap and water to wash it off, but now it looks like the dash is faded! We have a black interior. It looks awful. Does anyone out there have a fix for this or did we just ruin the whole thing? We are afraid to do anything else to it...Thank you!!

Here is my thought on this issue. #1 - Armorall is a silicone based product (I think) and soap and water will not remove it. #2 - washing a dash that is hot and in the sun with soap and water is not the way to go. The soapy water will most likely dry before you have a chance to wipe it off with a clean wet towel. #3 - you might want to check your local FLAP store and see if they have a vinyl cleaner. That may work best.

Fwiw, I only clean my dash with a slightly damp cloth and I do use Armorall on it, but only in the garage when it is cool.

We will try that, thank you!!

Here is my thought on this issue. #1 - Armorall is a silicone based product (I think) and soap and water will not remove it. #2 - washing a dash that is hot and in the sun with soap and water is not the way to go. The soapy water will most likely dry before you have a chance to wipe it off with a clean wet towel. #3 - you might want to check your local FLAP store and see if they have a vinyl cleaner. That may work best.

Fwiw, I only clean my dash with a slightly damp cloth and I do use Armorall on it, but only in the garage when it is cool.

I would be inclined to say that when you wiped down the hot dash, it left a nasty film of soap residue all over it. What kind of soap did you use? Dishsoap? Other? Any hot surface will often cause detergent to leave a nasty residue, and that leaves the color looking faded. When it cools, cleaning it again should take it off. You may need to use a stronger soap to get all the residue off, but it should come off.

I usually use leather conditioner/cleaner on my dash and interior parts. It not only works beautifully on the leather, but has great results with plastic and faux leather parts, plus it doesn't leave the greasy feel some silicone based products do, but it leaves the color looking deep with a nice luster.

:cries:

We were cleaning the inside of our brand new (to us) RX330 and used Armorall on the dash, just like we've done with every other car we've had. It would not blend in...Wondering if the dash was too hot? So, we just used soap and water to wash it off, but now it looks like the dash is faded! We have a black interior. It looks awful. Does anyone out there have a fix for this or did we just ruin the whole thing? We are afraid to do anything else to it...Thank you!!

It's just a residue, and it will come off. If you can't get it off yourself, stop by a detail shop.

I know armorall has its proponents, but I was advised years ago never to use it, and now would not put it on anything. The silicone is just not that great. Try 303 Protectant. Google it. Available in good marine products stores, diving shops (used on gaskets and other rubber goods), good river running/rafting stores (such as NRS). It's what the pros in those fields use. No silicone, and great UV protection. I also use it on exterior trim and tires to protect/restore, without giving it that glossy used car lot look. The stuff really is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and I have absolutely no connection with the product).

• 2 weeks later...
Although Armorall contains some silicone emulsion, it is a WATER-based product and is easily diluted in water. Mild soap and water will wash it away. I doubt that Armorall will ruin your dash. I would just wash it with a mild solution of dish soap (I like Ajax) and warm water and it should come off.

Sheesh...Ajax AND Windex!??! ;)

Seriously...no Ajax or dish soap anywhere on the car. The interior vinyl will get discolored if inapproriate or abrasive cleaners are used.

I like Ultima's Interior cleaner and their interior guard. I would clean the dashboard well with the cleaning gel using the sponge they supply and then when its dry, follow up with a thin layer of the interior guard and let it sit for a few hours. You can clean and protect the entire interior with these products by the way, including the leather.

The Armor All is a water based product and the streaking was just because its a crappy product and applying dressing to a dashboard as big and textured as the one on the RX330 evenly is hard, especially if its hot. It won't have hurt the dash...but the soap you used could have. What soap did you use?

This is a good Ultima kit: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-6200.html