Question With 04 Lexus Es 330 Timing Belt?

jwkim

Hello, I have 04 ES 330, and it just now turned over 73,000 and I’m not sure when will be the best time to change the timing belt? Any info would be appreciated!

Also Does a 2004 Lexus ES 330 have a timing belt or chain?

I'm a firm believer the 80-90K mile mark for a timing belt change is a very conservative number. This used to be close to end-of-life for a timing belt on vehicles over 20 years ago, but with improvements in polymers, fabrication methods, engine design, and other contributing factors, I'd say a well kept engine shouldn't need a timing belt until around 110K (assuming the vehicle hasn't been subjected to extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme anything, corrosive environments (saltwater), etc.). It's always good preventative maintenance to change out key components in advance, but how much in advance? Manufacturers are going to be conservative on their numbers... I tend to be more practical.

Hello, I have 04 ES 330, and it just now turned over 73,000 and I’m not sure when will be the best time to change the timing belt? Any info would be appreciated!

Also Does a 2004 Lexus ES 330 have a timing belt or chain?

it is a timing belt, should be replaced at 90k. your engine is an "interference" engine so if the belts snaps, lots of littel pieces parts get damaged.

They usually last well over 90k but do you want to take that chance. Think about having the water pump replaced at the same time. It may not be needed but it is in that location, so in essence you are saving the labor of when it does crap out later by replacing it with the TB at 90k.

Most Lexus service centers will charge you in the neighborhood of a grand for the TB and WP. Check with Toyota service center as they are quite capable of doing the service and usually cost a few hundred less. Also contact SW03ES, he has a contact for a competent inde in the MD area.

steviej

Yeah I have a great guy in Rockville. Unfortunately I met him after I had already paid the dealer $1300 for the 90k service which includes the timing belt, spark plugs, flushing all the fluids, and a bunch of other stuff. He told me he would have done the same service for $700.

Here's the info:

LXT Automotive

Ask for Nelson, he's the owner. Tell him Steve Withrow sent you.

www.lxtautomotive.com

Just a very small shop, but he's been a Lexus master tech for 16 years and still keeps all his factory certs up. He'll be doing all the maintenance on the Lexus and our Prius here on out. He's a hybrid tech too...

He'll even give you a loaner car for the 90k service.