Cross-drilled Ventilated Brake Rotors

tansupplyman

Subject rotors are being sold on E-bay[by dealers?] that are relatively inexpensive( Buy Now: 4 for $169.); ie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33564

Has anyone on the forum purchased these (or from anyone else on e-bay)??? Curious to know if these are OEM spec. and experience anyone would share. TKS.

Richard,

It does say that you are bidding on 2 front + 2 rear rotors but that price seems more logical for a single rotor, it is definitely too good a price for 4 rotors. I replaced the front rotors on my wifes old caddy last year and they were plain jane Bendix rotors and cost me about $80/rotor. I agree with VMF, some kind of catch here.

Curt

The price must be correct based on the seller's listings !!!!!

They have 195 sets of these rotors listed on e-bay for all types of makes--BMW 740, etc, etc. and the prices are still approx $150 - $200 for ALL four !!!

Surely someone here has bought these and can advise!!??? :o

Most of these vendors buy blank rotors and are doing the cross drilling and slotting inhouse.

Not sure what blank rotors this company is buying. However, I have seen prices for front rotors for about $130, so this is price is not impossible. Perhaps you should ask around if somebody knows this R1concepts company.

Another thing is that C/D rotors are prune to crack. Especially if the C/D process was not done well. Some companies just drill holes, without consideration if this would weaken the rotor.

Cross drilled rotors are not required on a street car. Water is flung off the rotors at any kind of speed anyways by centrifugal force, one of the biggest advantages of disc over drum brakes. The reason for cross drilling originally was to vent the gases created by the pad as it heats. Modern pads don't gas very much, and in street use not at all. Cross drilling looks good, and seems impressive to those who don't know better. As mentioned, they can be a source of cracking if not properly located, and they also reduce the mass of the rotor, which reduces the heat sink effect.

I have found that the Lexus wholesale price for rotors is actually mid-way between the aftermarket wholesale price on a couple of brands. I think the fronts for my '92 were about $115.00 Canadian, so around $85.00 US. That's quite reasonable considering the quality of the factory part, which appears to be ground to a final surface, rather than simply machined. Certainly they work well.

The reason i asked why is drilled for wet brakeing is because i wanted to know if i was unaware of something.

Slotted would do more to directed gases away faster than drilled as drilled is used to keep the overall temperature down.Drilling too many holes causes fractures as does in the wrong spots. The should be in the center of a vent spline of the rotor if applicable.

Once heat is generated it will remove almost all the water by itself no need for drilled or slotted. It is great for reducing brake fade especially. On a road car drilled are only going to be used for looks as you probably will never need the temps reduced from normal driving ,if you are then you would have already been using SS brake lines and dot 5 silicone brake fluid already.

Following is response I received after query:

"Dear Buyer,

The price of $169.00 includes four rotors that are cross-drilled, slotted, and zinc plated silver. Please reply if you wish to purchase these items. The cost of shipping could be calculated near the end of the listing.

For Further information or questions, please call us at 714-554-6162. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Dan Nguyen

General Manager

R1 Concepts

P.S. Please visit our Ebay Store at http://www.stores.ebay.com/R1Concepts. Thank you. "

Does anyone know anything about them? Tks.

WET...

For any doubters I invite you to take a short ride with me in my 78 with solid rotors the next time it rains (tomorrow, if not sooner) here in Seattle. Acknowledging that the 01 has much better braking and allowing for same.

In the 78 if I do not have advance "warning" of the need to stop the braking will be very poor. If I apply the brakes lightly, to "dry", just before the need to seriously apply I can stop much more readily. In the 01 with slotted rotors I don't noticed any tendency at all for the brakes not to be up to the task in a heavy rain.

the bottom line is this, what you pay is what u get. so dont blame the seller when those rotors gonna bent on a regular basis or gonna squeak or their life span willbe 6 month...... u have to pya some $ for quality products and we all know that. there are no miracles in this world and no free stuff